Best electric trolling motor

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a 16 ft alumaweld drift boat and plan to buy an electric trolling motor. Would only be used for lakes. Used to have an old minn kota 3 hp but it died plus it was heavy and I bent the transom on a rough launch. That's all fixed now so shopping and curious if anyone might have suggestions for size. I plan also to get a handle extension so I can sit in the rowers seat and steer. Thanks in advance for helpful suggestions and ideas.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I see there's both a 50 and a 55. Is there a big difference? Almost the same price so I'm assuming might as well get the 55. Do you also carry a spare prop? Spare shear pins? Any else I need to think of?

Nonose

Smolt
Forum Supporter
You can buy different props they are common the prop nut is a 1/2” and easy to remove I’m sure you can get a pin too but I don’t think you’ll need one as the prop is plastic and I think would break first.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Are you looking to put it on the stern or up on the bow foot-pedal style?

For the stern, Endura Max for sure. Much better battery life with that PWM built in. For the bow, it's gonna depend on how much you have to spend.

Reactions: RCF

Nonose

Smolt
Forum Supporter
True on the options I wasn’t thinking about positioning your boat just moving.Many different options and prices

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Minn Kota makes the best trolling motors.. get the biggest one you can afford.

RCF

Life of the Party
Are you looking to put it on the stern or up on the bow foot-pedal style?

For the stern, Endura Max for sure. Much better battery life with that PWM built in. For the bow, it's gonna depend on how much you have to spend.

Great advice ---> Built in PWM makes such a big difference in battery life...

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Jeez, the reviews on electric motors have really been poor lately. Seems like the quality has deteriorated recently and people are having bad experiences.

onefish

Steelhead
I have 4 Minn Kotas in various stages of deadness and 1 old motor guide that just keeps going with zero issues. I hope you have better luck with Minn Kota than I have had.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The minn kota 3hp I've been using has given years of service with the only problem was a broke shear pin. Thats a long story about rowing a mile into a stiff breeze to get out so after that carried spare pins. But it wasn't mine and the owner wanted it back. I just went to Portland and bought the enduro 55. It won't get a lot of extended use. Just small fresh water lakes and I think it will make fishing more fun for this old guy Thanks for the help and the suggestions. I did a little more research before making the purchase and feel pretty comfortable with it. I also bought my non resident angling license so while I was in the spending mood I stopped and bought a six pack of Stella Artois. It's all good.

keidsmoe

Freshly Spawned
Been using my Endura Max 45 to push my Dogfish all over Mason County lakes...flawless!

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have 4 Minn Kotas in various stages of deadness and 1 old motor guide that just keeps going with zero issues. I hope you have better luck with Minn Kota than I have had.
I hope so too . I’ve run a Motorguide Varimax 40 with the variable speed throttle for years , never missed a beat . Just got a great deal on Minn Kota 50 Endura Max , that had been used one time , looked brand new . Been wanting to get a bit more thrust since I went to the Scadden X5 , and that Motorguide is getting a bit long in the tooth. Looking forward to using it .

I kinda know what you are saying about Minn Kota , my first Motor was the Minn Kota 30 , I used it twice , and knew the 5 speed was not for me , wanted variable. Bought the Motorguide , gave the Minn Kota to my son , that 30 has never been on the water more than a dozen day trips , two of them by me . We had to replace the switch on it , not expensive , but not saying much for dependability or quality .

We learned a good lesson , got to Henry’s last fall , my son mounted the motor on his pontoon boat , only to find out the switch was shot wouldn’t run . Made for a bit tougher fishing trip for him . Will check motors to at least make sure they run .