NFR Best and worst Xmas songs

Non-fishing related

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
There are too many great performances of Christmas music captured on vinyl and digital media that Mrs Brian and I don't bother to listen to, dwell on, or even think about the worst.

Music is such a powerful medium that can evoke strong emotions and vivid memories. Out of the all the Christmas music we've heard throughout our lives, Mrs Brian and I both remember our parents had artistic masterpiece recordings on the turntable during the Christmas season when we were young children. This one features an internationally renowned conductor and a world class orchestra and choir.

To me this music brings back the wonderment and anticipation of a young child sitting alone on the floor near the base of the hastily decorated Christmas tree put up by a working Mom for her disabled husband and 3 young kids, gaily festooned with glass bulbs and homemade ornaments (some of which are on our tree), and colorful lights glistening off the silver tinsel covering the boughs in an otherwise darkened living room. Looking up in anticipation the child watches as the lamp in the hands of a white gowned porcelain angel at the tree's top (now residing at the top of our tree) slowly and rhythmically flashes while the beautiful music plays.

A later masterpiece of (at the time) contemporary music from the brilliant producer/arranger Richard Carpenter, featuring the truly lovely vocals of his sister Karen Carpenter who was tragically silenced at only 33 😢 . Only 2 years older than I, oh what beautiful music she might have brought us over the years if she were still with us.

When this came out Mrs Brian was stationed on Guam half a world away from her family and I was in a doomed marriage with my spouse who had recently been stationed on the other end of the continent from where I was assigned. Mrs Brian and I would meet one year later at my house during one of the holiday *gatherings* I would give for the young airmen in my shop and some of their friends who were away from their families, and residing in the barracks.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Lot of good/bad stuff mentioned so far.

Best:

It's cheesy, but I have a soft spot for most anything on the "Christmas Together" album by John Denver and Muppets. Especially "The Peace Carol" and "When the River Meets the Sea" (or the Emmit the Otter's Jugband Christmas version). @Long_Rod_Silvers isn't wrong about "Christmas in Hollis" (unless he was dissin'!). Not sure if @Derek Young was calling it best or worst, but I do really like the Springsteen live version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I dunno, Bruce and the band seem like they are having fun and it makes me smile. I've got a lot of warm feelings about everything on the Canadian Brass's "The Christmas Album" due to it being played often growing up in my parents house. And then of course there this sweet drunken anti-carol by the Pogues:

Worst:

That terrible Chipmunks song or, if you want to be local, this pile of syrupy PNW junk:

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm in the Fairytale of New York & I Believe in Father Christmas camp, but don't sleep on Same Old Lang Syne. I'm the one in the family who's received multiple Grinch-branded items over the years.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I will say I could listen to Ella Fitzgerald sing traditional Christmas songs for a long time:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Lot of good/bad stuff mentioned so far.

Best:

It's cheesy, but I have a soft spot for most anything on the "Christmas Together" album by John Denver and Muppets. Especially "The Peace Carol" and "When the River Meets the Sea" (or the Emmit the Otter's Jugband Christmas version). @Long_Rod_Silvers isn't wrong about "Christmas in Hollis" (unless he was dissin'!). Not sure if @Derek Young was calling it best or worst, but I do really like the Springsteen live version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I dunno, Bruce and the band seem like they are having fun and it makes me smile. I've got a lot of warm feelings about everything on the Canadian Brass's "The Christmas Album" due to it being played often growing up in my parents house. And then of course there this sweet drunken anti-carol by the Pogues:

Worst:

That terrible Chipmunks song or, if you want to be local, this pile of syrupy PNW junk:

I wasn't dissin!!

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Favorite is likely Eartha Kitt purring "Santa Baby.
Favorite traditional, "Oh Holy Night." I'm not religious at all but like that song.
I've got to add "White Christmas" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," they still move me.

Least favorite. Probably Old McFartney's "Wonderful Christmastime."

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Then there is the nasally obnoxious 'I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas'. 😬
Huh, by Gayla Peevey from 1953. Looked it up because (I'm kinda glad) I had never heard it. I guess my parents were more discerning music listeners, but also maybe regional because I can't recall it being played on any local radio stations, and they played lots of novelty tunes.
But here's a Postmodern cover of it 😁

Much better but it won't get into my Christmas season rotation

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not a fan of it of course But it has always been on the radio around Xmas time as long as I can remember.

And @Josh. Oh my how could I have forgotten that PNW Christmas song. A classic horrible putrid song. I don’t think I have heard it this year so far so I kinda forgot about it. But yes. The naughty list for that song. 🧑‍🎄

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Sorry. Posted this in the movie thread which I should have not done. I started thinking earlier today about some horrible Xmas songs as I was listening to Xmas radio. ….. my earlier post

Dont mean to hi-jack this thread but this afternoon driving my wife to see her mom we listened to106.9 FM xmas music channel. Reminded me of the worst or mind blowing cant get out of your head Xmas songs for me.

"I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas/Felice Navidad ...it plays in my head the next 30 minutes. :mad:

Then there is the nasally obnoxious 'I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas'. 😬

Wilson sisters....'Hey Santa' Hey just stop, better yet I'll mute it for three minutes.

Love Paul McCartney and Wings but their 'Wonderful Christmastime" repetively warps my brain non stop...

...and of cours Alvin and the Chipmunks. :cautious::whistle:😱

So good or bad ? What’s yours?

My favorite might be Greg Lake’s ‘I Believe in Father Christmas’ also a fan of some stuff produced by Siberian Trans Orchestra 😉

I’m sure I have forgotten some over the years. I remember liking a Xmas song from the Kinks too.
Best.: Oh Holy Night
Worst: it's a tie all I want for Christmas is you. And last Christmas I gave you my heart..

Not open for debate.. this is the correct answer.. :)

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Haha sorry man, I couldn’t help it. My girlfriend and I actually played that song about a month ago to get pumped up for Christmas :ROFLMAO:
Getting pumped for Christmas.. I read that line. Looked up expecting to see Swimmy's name on the post.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Best.: Oh Holy Night
Worst: it's a tie all I want for Christmas is you. And last Christmas I gave you my heart..

Not open for debate.. this is the correct answer.. :)

Oh holy night … The Trans Siberian Orchestra version I assume?…. 😜

And Rob. All I want for Christmas from you is your honest fly rod reviews on all the new 2023 Sage products. 😉 Freakin 2023. Amazing… remember when all the freak outs over 1999 to 2000. Wow time does fly, except when you’re casting the line with the fly on the end…huh?

Merry Christmas and Hapoy New Year to you Rob and your family. 🌲 🎁

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Oh holy night … The Trans Siberian Orchestra version I assume?…. 😜

And Rob. All I want for Christmas from you is your honest fly rod reviews on all the new 2023 Sage products. 😉 Freakin 2023. Amazing… remember when all the freak outs over 1999 to 2000. Wow time does fly, except when you’re casting the line with the fly on the end…huh?

Merry Christmas and Hapoy New Year to you Rob and your family. 🌲 🎁

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well..

I wonder if the local shop will loan me a new Sage to review.
I like doing rod reviews..

Need some warmer weather though, my right arm, shoulder, elbow and wrist ache in cold weather.