Being Grateful

After my post this morning I went out to visit an old sponsor. It's getting hard, because when I went back to share some photos he had forgotten our morning cup of coffee. Luckily he has his wife. I'm lucky to have known him when he was sharper (a hard ass really) and to have God take care of me to this point and blessed me with so much so far. After crossing the pasture and ducking a fence, and carefully approaching the stream I saw several different sizes of similar stonefly shucks around, some new, some older, so I went to my standard dry and nymph setup for such occasions.
20220820_regstoneoffering.jpg
I had my 9' Recon. Being a moderate action it's more situated to this type of fishing than the clearwater, and I wanted more reach than the Steffan.
20220820_082044.jpg
OK, so there is a thread on reading water. No brainer for first obvious holding location. Work out the line across stream for range, add some, cast up 2' above the rock, and double up.
20220820_1stcastdouble.jpg
A bit further upriver this one showed up sporting late summer color.
20220820_latesummercolors.jpg
Later I get to go cuddle with the grandkids and watch a show, so truly, really grateful.

Last edited:

Xoxo

After my post this morning I went out to visit an old sponsor. It's getting hard, because when I went back to share some photos he had forgotten our morning cup of coffee. Luckily he has his wife. I'm lucky to have known him when he was sharper (a hard ass really) and to have God take care of me to this point and blessed me with so much so far. After crossing the pasture and ducking a fence, and carefully approaching the stream I saw several different sizes of similar stonefly shucks around, some new, some older, so I went to my standard dry and nymph setup for such occasions.
View attachment 28336
I had my 9' Recon. Being a moderate action it's more situated to this type of fishing than the clearwater, and I wanted more reach than the Steffan.
View attachment 28337
OK, so there is a thread on reading water. No brainer for first obvious holding location. Work out the line across stream for range, add some, cast up 2' above the rock, and double up.
View attachment 28338
A bit further this one showed up sporting late summer color.
View attachment 28339
Later I get to go cuddle with the grandkids and watch a show, so truly, really grateful.
That water and those fish look lovely @Tom Butler !

MGM

“Just glad to be here”
Forum Supporter
Half the country away from you but always enjoy your insight and reports. Keep it up!

Hornet

Just Hatched
Hi Tom Great report! I finally got around to trying this forum. Maybe someday I'll actually post a trip report but for for now familiarizing myself and enjoying all the posts.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Hi Tom Great report! I finally got around to trying this forum. Maybe someday I'll actually post a trip report but for for now familiarizing myself and enjoying all the posts.
Welcome aboard. I think you'll discover a lot of fun and knowledgeable folks here.

Hornet

Just Hatched
Hi Tom - Wayne from Black Diamond here. Hope this finds you well & on the water. My grandsons are keen on me taking them turkey hunting this spring & has me thinking about a combined hunt with some fly fishing. Remembering our day on the water near Dayton a couple of years ago. I just read that most of the streams in that area don't open until June. Is that the case or would you have any alternative suggestions?
My wife & I are currently in New Mexico. We spend the winter months down here. Been on the water quite a bit. Had an opportunity to float the San Juan in northern NM with a friend. What an awesome river. If you ever have the chance, I would highly recommend.

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
View attachment 28336
View attachment 28337
View attachment 28338
A bit further upriver this one showed up sporting late summer color.
View attachment 28339
That is an awesome day Tom. Thanks for sharing.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Glad you got to connect with your old sponsor and enjoy some of what said god has to offer via the woods and nice flowing water.
I've said it in the past but posts like these are an inspiration to me in my journey. Needing to hit some water soon, to keep centered. Thanks for sharing.