beginner friendly rigs

aheinz

Smolt
is there a decent place to find proper descriptions, of various rigs, with visuals, or well written, in my search, i hear and see a ton of rigs, but not much in way of the actual setup of them

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
ones with various strike indicators, or dry dropper i have seen some variations,
Using strike indicators with chironomids is pure sorcery. @Irafly helped me set up an indicator rig and I've just never changed it. 🙂

I fish dry droppers a lot. I add about 2 feet of tippet to the end of my tapered leader with a triple surgeons knot, leaving a 4 inch tag of the tapered leader end sticking out from the knot running parallel and next to the tippet. Clip the 'upstream from the flies' bit of tippet. The dry fly goes on the leader tag and the sunken fly goes on the tippet end.

I found this just now:

I think I remember @Tom Butler posting some schematics before.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think I remember @Tom Butler posting some schematics before.
I have posted my setups for trout and panfish many times. Use the search function and my name and there are several pages. Try leader as well. Lots of ways to go about it, lots of folks on here have posted rigs that work just as well for them.
I've been fishing various multi-fly rigs for years, pretty much never fish just one fly. Basically, I use double surgeons knots, and clip the tag on the reel side of the knot, and will tie a fly to the 4-6" tag that's left, the one facing the terminal end. A new dropper can be attached when those get too short by tying in a new piece of leader with a 5 turn uniknot above the old knot. Nominally keep 18-24" between flies, but I'll go down to 12", or up to 3-4' between for lake set ups. MANY people have good success tying a dropper onto the bend of the hook, I don't. Sometimes in the lake, a dropper will be attached to the eye of the hook above. Flies; usually all sunken, but sometimes I run a dry like a stimulator up top, as much for an indicator as the take possibility. Usually there is a weighted fly on the middle or bottom dropper, depending on how I want the flies to fish.
Books such as Dynamic Nymphing and Tactical Fly fishing have good drawings. Dave Hughes describes fishing them in Wet Flies. It's an old technique, Stuart's team of spiders, even before that. An internet search will give you lots of images to look at.
Avoiding tangles is a challenge, there is a learning curve. I prefer medium or medium fast rods, and keep your casting loop somewhat open. Keep casting distances reasonable. Carry your rod cautiously, otherwise bouncing or quick movements will cause the flies to tangle as you change positions.
Good luck. It's a great way to fish, have fun with it.

Attachments

• 1713350613398.png
    1713350613398.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

aheinz

Smolt
I have posted my setups for trout and panfish many times. Use the search function and my name and there are several pages. Try leader as well. Lots of ways to go about it, lots of folks on here have posted rigs that work just as well for them.
I've been fishing various multi-fly rigs for years, pretty much never fish just one fly. Basically, I use double surgeons knots, and clip the tag on the reel side of the knot, and will tie a fly to the 4-6" tag that's left, the one facing the terminal end. A new dropper can be attached when those get too short by tying in a new piece of leader with a 5 turn uniknot above the old knot. Nominally keep 18-24" between flies, but I'll go down to 12", or up to 3-4' between for lake set ups. MANY people have good success tying a dropper onto the bend of the hook, I don't. Sometimes in the lake, a dropper will be attached to the eye of the hook above. Flies; usually all sunken, but sometimes I run a dry like a stimulator up top, as much for an indicator as the take possibility. Usually there is a weighted fly on the middle or bottom dropper, depending on how I want the flies to fish.
Books such as Dynamic Nymphing and Tactical Fly fishing have good drawings. Dave Hughes describes fishing them in Wet Flies. It's an old technique, Stuart's team of spiders, even before that. An internet search will give you lots of images to look at.
Avoiding tangles is a challenge, there is a learning curve. I prefer medium or medium fast rods, and keep your casting loop somewhat open. Keep casting distances reasonable. Carry your rod cautiously, otherwise bouncing or quick movements will cause the flies to tangle as you change positions.
Good luck. It's a great way to fish, have fun with it.
Thank you, I always tend to forget about doing search functions at times

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
So is this the kind of info your looking for? 10' 6wt, SA Infinity. The leader is 1' 15# butt, 5' 10#, 6' 6# and 2' 6# ultragreen. The chartruse bead is on a 5" tag from a double surgeons, the red bead on the 2' 6# last section.. Put the adjustable release indicator on before you tie on a fly. Very basic rig for stocked trout in lakes.
20240417_rig.jpg
It works.
20240417_165714.jpg

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
go to the fly shop closest to where you want to start fishing and ask for their set-up reccomendation for your budget. You should be able to leave the shop with a balanced and rigged outfit ready to go, as well as some decent info on how to use it.

Reactions: Zak

aheinz

Smolt
So is this the kind of info your looking for? 10' 6wt, SA Infinity. The leader is 1' 15# butt, 5' 10#, 6' 6# and 2' 6# ultragreen. The chartruse bead is on a 5" tag from a double surgeons, the red bead on the 2' 6# last section.. Put the adjustable release indicator on before you tie on a fly. Very basic rig for stocked trout in lakes.
View attachment 111136
It works.
View attachment 111137
Thank you and nice to see the info used, for that as well as measurements

go to the fly shop closest to where you want to start fishing and ask for their set-up reccomendation for your budget. You should be able to leave the shop with a balanced and rigged outfit ready to go, as well as some decent info on how to use it.
Ive got the rod and such, just was drawing hard on the leader/tippet rigging

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thank you and nice to see the info used, for that as well as measurements

Ive got the rod and such, just was drawing hard on the leader/tippet rigging
You can lengthen out those sections to fish to 25', and reduce tippet size if needed. Think chironomids. I like 6# because it's not prone to tangles, yet still catches fish here.