Beating the heat

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Hot walk back to the rig today, thankfully I was parked in the shade.
20230814_intheshade.jpg
The mountain stream when I left on the other hand
20230814_watertemp.jpg
found some shady hiding places. The deer never did detect my presence.
20230814_pool.jpg
and some sunny seams in the pocket water
20230814_stream.jpg
and some fish, which were just right for the 7' 3/4wt Cortland GRF 1000.
20230814_cortrod.jpg
Fished a hare's ear
20230814_mbnymph.jpg
and a diving caddis
20230814_divingcaddis.jpg
Found myself just sitting in the water meditating for awhile. I hate the heat, but this was far from bad.

Last edited:

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
That's a nice setup and it sounds like you deserved it. Looks to be about the perfect setup for that blue line.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Nice Tom. Where was Drumheller sports. The name sounds familiar
It was downtown at 2nd and Alder. Kinda reminded me of Warshall's in Seattle.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Hurrah for Warshalls. I bought my first fly rod at warshalls (a Wright and McGill 7'6" spin/fly combo 6 weight) along with a Filson Mackinaw. The Wright and McGill has long since passed. Still wear the Filson Mackinaw.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tom, I’ve been meaning to reach out. I remember you talking about Dave Hughes’s books when you “rediscovered” you love of swung wet flies. Can you recommend any specific book to read?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Tom, I’ve been meaning to reach out. I remember you talking about Dave Hughes’s books when you “rediscovered” you love of swung wet flies. Can you recommend any specific book to read?
I have the 1st edition of "Wet Flies", and I would highly recommend it. I'd been fishing a lot of dries before I read that, truly changed my whole approach. I also refer the Western Hatches book quite a bit.20230828_062704.jpg

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have the 1st edition of "Wet Flies", and I would highly recommend it. I'd been fishing a lot of dried before I read that, truly changed my whole approach. I also refer the Western Hatches book quite a bit.View attachment 79779
Thank you so much! I’ve never really fished wet flies. But on a trip to a river (actually super close to you). We were finishing for the day and I tied on a size 12 soft hackle for the hell of it. I was just roll casting down stream and swinging as we were walking down the middle of the river back to camp and I had two hard grabs (and landed them) I made a note to tie more and learn a little bit more about that style.

Reactions: Zak

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thank you so much! I’ve never really fished wet flies. But on a trip to a river (actually super close to you). We were finishing for the day and I tied on a size 12 soft hackle for the hell of it. I was just roll casting down stream and swinging as we were walking down the middle of the river back to camp and I had two hard grabs (and landed them) I made a note to tie more and learn a little bit more about that style.
I had a similar experience that opened my eyes when we were teens. We'd ridden over to Marymoor to fish the slough, and it was slow. I tied on a peacock carey special, and every time it sung in near the bank I picked up a cutt. We were talking, my line just hanging downstream, and the best fish of the day grabbed the fly and took off down stream.