Bead size to hook size

Greenhorn

Just Hatched
Hi

Just started fly fishing and tying last fall. My goal is to ty flies for pan fish but most patterns are for trout so I practice doing those. Unfortunately, my finger control and eyesight is not what it used to be. Doing trout patterns on hooks smaller than size 14 is a real challenge so I use larger hooks.

The issue I am having is finding beads that fit on hooks size 6, 8 etc.

Yesterday I tried to put a 7/64 bead on a size 8. I ended up having to use a size 12 with the bead.

When I look at beads, I see specs on weight or overall size but not on center hole size. How do I correlate bead size to the hook I can use? I have seen slotted beads for sale but they appear to be for moving the bead around the hook curve.

Again, the flies I am doing are for practice and not to catch fish. I am sure if I used them, the fish would be thinking “That is the biggest zebra midge I have ever seen!!”

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you get the opportunity, take a look at the Firehole Outdoors line of hooks as they are barbless and usually have wide gaps making it easier to use smaller beads. Additionally their line of tungsten—stones and slotted stones provide an excellent range of colors and sizes.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
that's a great general gauge...with emphasis on "general".

As Zak alluded to, different manufacturers can sometimes have different hole size. If I remember, I'll check what I have....and because of this: I often like tying little flies that have a lot of weight for use as a "tool" fly yet still actually work as an actual fly in their own right. So, I have a few Umpqua 16 jig streamer hooks that are little enough for any little trout or whitefish to grab and stick yet long enough where I have a decent body to work with. I have used anything from size 3.3 up to 4.6mm slotted tungsten beads on these with great effect (I found some Hanak 4mm that really work nicely for what I described above). I think that my slotted beads are Hareline, but I'll double check a little later...

otherwise, I like a size appropriate (to the pattern) bead on whatever hook you end up with.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Here's my base chart. I can go up or down a bead size. The 6/0 Czech beads are from JoAnn's and fit that 6-10 range you're asking about. You can use the search and find "olive willy" on this site, or olive willy, and I like them on simi seal leeches.

Attachments

• 20230816_084222.jpg
    20230816_084222.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240331_133952.jpg
    20240331_133952.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 17

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
You'll find that barbless hooks (like those mfg by Firehole) are often less challenging when trying to slide on a wider variety of beads.

Barbed hooks obviously present far more of a challenge, even when you've done a good job of pinching down the barb.

Roughly speaking, a small tungsten bead is the equivalent (in terms of sink rate) of a much larger glass bead...so it's certainly ok to experiment with substitution, as long as you don't end up with a small fly that's too heavy to impart some movement below an indicator.

In flyfishing there's always somebody to tell you something won't work....until you find that it does.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi

Just started fly fishing and tying last fall. My goal is to ty flies for pan fish but most patterns are for trout so I practice doing those. Unfortunately, my finger control and eyesight is not what it used to be. Doing trout patterns on hooks smaller than size 14 is a real challenge so I use larger hooks.

The issue I am having is finding beads that fit on hooks size 6, 8 etc.

Yesterday I tried to put a 7/64 bead on a size 8. I ended up having to use a size 12 with the bead.

When I look at beads, I see specs on weight or overall size but not on center hole size. How do I correlate bead size to the hook I can use? I have seen slotted beads for sale but they appear to be for moving the bead around the hook curve.

Again, the flies I am doing are for practice and not to catch fish. I am sure if I used them, the fish would be thinking “That is the biggest zebra midge I have ever seen!!”

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help

Go with the larger lighter brass beads. You can have a full fly box without the small stuff. I myself do not fish small stuff as a matter of preference. Some brands of beads have a bigger hole. Also crimp those barbs as threading them on is easier. With a crimped barb the limiting factor is bend size and shape. Not all hooks of the same size are created equal.

Last edited:

Greenhorn

Just Hatched
Just got an ad from them this morning. I have ordered a lot from them. Seem to always to have coupons for free shipping or discounts etc. Prices seem ok.
Thanks.