Be Careful Out There Wadin’ Boot!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I've had minor uneasy moments kayaking around otters and aggressive nesting loons in lakes...but dealing with a shark in salt just ain't gonna happen for me.

Last edited:

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
It won’t be long before all these pinnipeds turn Puget Sound into the west coast version of Cape Cod :). Then you’ll have this to potentially look forward too…

Honestly may have shit my pants had this happened to me. I used to get very unneasy when curious seals would rub their bellies against the underside of my kayak.
If only the puget sound orcas would realize what a feast the seals present....

There's been a few times the seal will chase the fish on line right up to the kayak, generally not a fan of that, you have to horse the fish in and get into the net
quick when they are around.

I once met a guy on a cape cod beach who was taking his Kayak out to the Bluefin grounds. He had some dive fins in case he got stuck. he was not in a sit on top, but rather a sit inside, and was geared up with grudens hip pants. Everything about his plan was nuts, but, whatever, he was Ok with it. There are some monster sharks off Cape Cod, the last time we were there the beach was closed just about every day for a period of half an hour because tagged sharks were close to the buoy that sits about 200 yards offshore. And for every tagged one they estimate there are more....

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I once met a guy on a cape cod beach who was taking his Kayak out to the Bluefin grounds. He had some dive fins in case he got stuck. he was not in a sit on top, but rather a sit inside, and was geared up with grudens hip pants. Everything about his plan was nuts, but, whatever, he was Ok with it. There are some monster sharks off Cape Cod, the last time we were there the beach was closed just about every day for a period of half an hour because tagged sharks were close to the buoy that sits about 200 yards offshore. And for every tagged one they estimate there are more....
Hardcore Darwin Award (Aquatic division) candidate there - hope he gets some recognition for his effort! 😲

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Many years ago, while stationed at MCAS El Toro, my wife and I spent a great deal of time swimming and snorkeling at a marine refuge cove in Laguna. Beautiful place, equipped with a shark net...its lack of actual functionality immediately apparent to anybody with a facemask, since sharks freely swam about the cove in the depths below the netted 'safe' area.

One day, while dozing peacefully in the warm California sunshine atop an air mattress while my wife snorkeled about the cove, I was violently thrown off my air mattress into the cold southern CA water.

Shark attack? No....an extremely large grouper had suddenly swum within a few inches of her face ask, and she instantly decided (yelling SHARK!!!!) that her safety required that I immediately be sacrificed to the bloodthirsty beast so she could clamber aboard.

She no doubt knew there were plenty of young jarheads around to console my widow in her sorrows.

At least I know how I'd probably fare, should there be a zombie apocalypse.

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I had a bull shark take a basketball sized bite out of a tarpon we were about to grab by the lower jaw off Bahia Honda one day. Never saw it coming to break the fish off and give it a chance. Close as I ever want to come to one that has evil intentions. It wasn't pretty.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
there were two seperate incidents in the late 90's involving kayakers who wanted to paddle out to view the Mavericks big wave arena in action, both had their kayaks sampled by what was likely the same great white, neither suffered any injuries other than soiled pants...after the second hit, Mavericks surfers started referring to kayaks as 'lures'

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've done my fair share of fishing and snorkeling in the ocean. But that place ain't for me, always nervous when out there. Those big ponds are terrifying.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Is it just me, or is part of the thrill of life out on the water the fact that it’s an edge—that it puts us more in touch with the primal forces of the world and strips us of our disconnect and our illusions of being separate from and “above it all”?

Wanna feel alive? To truly be “in the moment” like the mindfulness movement/fad espouses? Sweep away the cobwebs and clear out the ennui? Go find an edge.

Last edited: