Be careful in the heat!

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Dang, sorry to hear Wayne.
I've had heatstroke 3 or 4 times in the past from work. The last time(even with drinking 6 bottles of water and 2 gattoraids) the boss was pissed I missed the next day and am more susceptible to it now. It's never a fun experience!

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Once you get heatstroke, much like frostbite, you get more easily down the road.
Serious stuff, both of them.

Sorry to hear about that...far too young.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I very sorry to hear that…I’m in Henderson now; it has averaged 112 this week. At 730 this morning, it was 90 degrees…to add insult to injury, a big wildfire in the Mojave desert is blanketing Las Vegas & Henderson with smoke…IMG_2720.jpeg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Damn, that is sad! A lot of deaths already this summer due to the heat. The Luddites in Texas just repealed a bill that made it mandatory to give workers rest breaks during intense heat. It brings to mind another Luddite-the Republican Senator from Oklahoma that threw a snowball on the senate floor to prove there was no such thing as global warming. What does it take to get these morons attention?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
What a tragedy, Wayne, so very sorry for you and your family.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Totally get where you're coming from. It's been in the high 80's to mid 90's here in Central Penna. the past week. 3 days ago the heat index was 103. I stopped working at 1 pm because of the heat.

We seriously need to take care of each other better.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear that. It's scary. Sounds like a couple of us have had heat issues. I had a serious problem after a 105 deg day of time trialing and crit racing in wenatchee, IV and ambulance time. I dislike the heat, bring on the snow! Got dehydrated a couple summers ago, almost called for a ride home, felt ill but it got better sitting in the store at last chance. Take care of yourself.

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear that. It's scary. Sounds like a couple of us have had heat issues. I had a serious problem after a 105 deg day of time trialing and crit racing in wenatchee, IV and ambulance time. I dislike the heat, bring on the snow! Got dehydrated a couple summers ago, almost called for a ride home, felt ill but it got better sitting in the store at last chance. Take care of yourself.
I always raced better in the heat. We used to have an afternoon criterium series out by the SLC airport that was a favorite of mine. Temps regularly in excess of 100. The key for me was having friends and a cooler full of water bottles. I never had much success in the cold, especially rain and snow.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I always raced better in the heat. We used to have an afternoon criterium series out by the SLC airport that was a favorite of mine. Temps regularly in excess of 100. The key for me was having friends and a cooler full of water bottles. I never had much success in the cold, especially rain and snow.
That's cool. I have lots of respect for guys who do crits. I had friends that did well in the hot crit season too. Crit's were just not my thing, I was a hill guy. My forte was cyclocross, then the spring races. If it rained, great. My best race was 34 degrees and silver dolar sized snowflakes at Tayhua one year. Everyone at the start was shaking and moaning and I rolled up so psyched. I knew I'd win before we even started. Fast crits like Ballard and Des Moines I would get smoked.
The bank sign as I ran out of town said It was 105 degrees in downtown Penticton when I started the marathon in Ironman Canada one year. I really dislike the heat, oh I said that.
Opps, thread drift. Be attentive to your hydration and sun exposure when it's hot out.

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
That's cool. I have lots of respect for guys who do crits. I had friends that did well in the hot crit season too. Crit's were just not my thing, I was a hill guy. My forte was cyclocross, then the spring races. If it rained, great. My best race was 34 degrees and silver dolar sized snowflakes at Tayhua one year. Everyone at the start was shaking and moaning and I rolled up so psyched. I knew I'd win before we even started. Fast crits like Ballard and Des Moines I would get smoked.
The bank sign as I ran out of town said It was 105 degrees in downtown Penticton when I started the marathon in Ironman Canada one year. I really dislike the heat, oh I said that.
Opps, thread drift. Be attentive to your hydration and sun exposure when it's hot out.
I hated spring racing. In the Gunnison, CO stage race in 84, I crashed twice in the first day in rain and snow criterium. Showed up at the starting line for the following road race in the snow. There was a "gentlemen's agreement" amongst the field that we would just ride to about 5-miles before the finish, then duke it out. That agreement lasted for a couple of miles, then a couple of guys took off, then the chasers followed. Between the miserable conditions, and the missing skin on my ass and shoulder, and probable concussion, I barely survived being swept up by the sag wagon

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
As I understand it, they were out in the desert riding quads. When the group decided to return, her machine quit and no one noticed that she had dropped out from the group. Apparently she couldn't get it started and decided to walk back. By the time they realized she was missing and then found her she had passed.

Flymph

Steelhead
Damn, that is sad! A lot of deaths already this summer due to the heat. The Luddites in Texas just repealed a bill that made it mandatory to give workers rest breaks during intense heat. It brings to mind another Luddite-the Republican Senator from Oklahoma that threw a snowball on the senate floor to prove there was no such thing as global warming. What does it take to get these morons attention?
Extreme heat is the number-one weather-related cause of death in the U.S., and it kills more people most years than hurricanes, floods and tornadoes combined. The answer to your question is "when corporate donations 'dry' up!"

dep

Steelhead
As I understand it, they were out in the desert riding quads. When the group decided to return, her machine quit and no one noticed that she had dropped out from the group. Apparently she couldn't get it started and decided to walk back. By the time they realized she was missing and then found her she had passed.
this is horrible. very sorry

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
well that is just f'd up..regardless of activity, an ongoing head count is the fundamental basis for group safety wether twisting a handle or dipping an oar

Last edited:

Flymph

Steelhead
Texas no-gridders support your point quite well. Seems to be a great debate on this between two well known agencies.

NOAA’s take: heat is the bigger killer

NOAA’s official source of weather-related deaths, a monthly publication called Storm Data, is heavily skewed toward heat-related deaths. Over the 30-year period 1988 – 2017, NOAA classified an average of 134 deaths per year as being heat-related, and just 30 per year as cold-related—a more than a factor of four difference. According to a 2005 paper in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Heat Mortality Versus Cold Mortality: A Study of Conflicting Databases in the United States, Storm Data is often based on media reports, and tends to be biased towards media/public awareness of an event.

CDC’s take: cold is the bigger killer

In contrast, the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics Compressed Mortality Database, which is based on death certificates, indicates the reverse—about twice as many people die of “excessive cold” conditions in a given year than of “excessive heat.” According to a 2014 studyby the CDC, approximately 1,300 deaths per year from 2006 to 2010 were coded as resulting from extreme cold exposure, and 670 deaths per year from extreme heat. However, both of these numbers are likely to be underestimated. According to the 2016 study, The Impacts of Climate Change on Human Health in the United States, “It is generally accepted that direct attribution underestimates the number of people who die from temperature extremes.” For example, during the 1995 Chicago heat wave, only 465 death certificates had heat as a contributing cause, while excess mortality figures showed that close to 700 people died as a result of the heat (Figure 2).

My take is both are "extreme" and thus caused by Climate Change. I'm also thinking that deaths related to extremes cold would probably include Covid, Flu, etc.

Last edited: