Bass tactics?

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
I’ve had some success with poppers last summer in targeting bass but am wondering what subsurface tactics others use? And in what situations?

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like to throw weightless flies( no added weight) and they are hit on the drop. If they don't take on 1st drop, i pop them up quickly and let drop again. No takers....move on.

Or land them on a pad....wait. 5- 10 seconds and slowly pull them off the pad, usually they are quick to hit them.

Damsels are out and about on my lake, but i haven't tried them yet this year.
Same scenario.....land on pad and slowly pull them into water.
Or skate them next to the pads.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Billy Bass Master will surely give advice once he’s done with his Bad Mad Ass Bass photo session.

Shad

Life of the Party
Minnow imitations. I throw a lot of Clousers, buggers, and the like. Interestingly, I have found recently that they, like pressured trout, seem to be suckers for a small, unweighted streamer trailing a weighted one. When I fish that setup, it's almost always the small, unweighted fly that gets eaten. I find it interesting that even bass, for all their reputation as big bait maulers, sometimes require you to be more "sneaky" to be successful.

Oh, and don't be afraid to shorten up your leaders and use heavy tippet. Bass aren't leader shy (even if they sometimes require some finesse to trigger), and a shorter, stiffer leader is more accurate when chucking stuff into small, weedy targets and won't break if they get you into the weeds.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally I go with a baitfish pattern that's unweighted, acts like a jerkbait on a heavy sink tip. That's just how I prefer to fish for them. But, as mentioned, you really can't go wrong with a crayfish pattern....that'll probably put far more fish in the net. I just happen to enjoy throwing bigger baitfish patterns.