Bass line question

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am trying to get a bass setup going for some SMB (or LMB if I can find them). I am up in Everett and have Lake Stevens, Sliverlake, etc. in a close areas. I have a 7wt St.Croix bass mojo (Thanks @bfic!) and will mainly be fishing from a boat or pontoon. I've been reading that a solid WF7F is advisable, I'll be fishing most of the time on the surface, but its also handy to have a sink option. I am thinking SA Bass Bug for the WF7F as a floating line.

Do I need a sink as well? For the sink I found Rio InTouch sink tip for $60 at Outdoor Emporium, but I cannot seem to find much about it on the web. Its a WF7F/S6 with a 15' sink tip. For some of the lakes around me I think that would be handy, but I am on the fence.

Looking for some advice. Should I just start with the floating line for now and see how it goes? (I only have one spool for now, looking for a spare, haha)

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I prefer fishing poppers for SMB & LMBs in the summer, but I would consider a sinking or sink tip line a must have for SMBs for the different conditions from spring to fall.

I like a sinking line for SMBs when fishing streamers. I used a 15' Type 4 sink tip for years. It was actually my old single-hand steelhead swinging line. It did fairly well for throwing streamers for smallies in a variety of conditions- structure, drop offs, shoals, etc. I actually just replaced that line with a SA Titan Hover/S2/S4 triple density line that I bought for a great deal on this site. It should be better than the old 15' sink tip. It will at least be a more direct line to the fly. I'm sure it will cast better on my stiff 7wt than the old 15' sink tip did.

I've also used a S3 and S6 full sink line for smallies, but that was usually because it was winter/early spring or cold water conditions. So it seemed like I needed to fish slower, and in the case of the S6, deeper.

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I can't imagine heading out without some version of a sink line. Skydiver is on the right track including a progressive sink. I usually pack 3-5 different sink lines depending on time of year and what water I'm heading to. If you fish a limited number of water that could influence choices. Full sink lines should not be overlooked.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yea the bass bug and or titan long are great floaters. I also use triangle taper predator tip, SA titan tropical int tip and the SA titan intermediate. I have also used typ 3 full sinker and the SA hover/2/4 line but only for big flies and deeper water. The titan 15’ type 3 sink tip is nice but has really fallen by the wayside for the other lines.

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I cast the Bass Mojo somewhere, probably a show. To my experience it was pretty nice, a good choice for less experience anglers looking to get bassy. A good value, but it's not a high powered stick. That left me thinking it's not one you want to over line at all. Additionally I'd be care how long and heavy of tip you match it up with regarding lift power. SA's progressive sink lines might be worth exploring. Ideally some shop has demo lines you can try before you buy. Another approach might be to take the rod to a real fly shop so they can assess it and what might be a good match. Often there are plenty of lines you can "get by" with but a good match can really enhance the operators experience and results.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I really like a full intermediate line for bass fishing. They allow you to fish a super wide range in depths. With faster sinking lines I don't feel like I get much of a "jigging" action which is pretty important for me.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Okay another line question. I've spent a week reading everything I can find on different bass lines. I think the SA Mastery Titan fits into my sweet spot of budget/performance that I am currently after for a floater (still debating intermediate vs sink tips). For the actual line weight, I am throwing it on a 7wt Bass Mojo, but the SA Titan is double the line weight (so a 7wt is more like a 9wt, if I am reading correct). Would it be best to get the 7wt, or go down one weight to a 6wt?

Edit, sounds like 7wt is it. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For a modern rod like the Bass Mojo, get the 7wt line. SA is assuming you have a modern graphite/carbon medium-fast rod and they know the +.5, 1, 1.5 or even 2 heavy line will cast like a dream on your rod. That's exactly why they make it heavy. So it loads your modern powerful rod.
Same reason us old dudes put old WF8 standard weight lines on our 7wt rods (old or new).

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
I had an 8wt Mojo Bass for several years and normally fished a bass/pike floating line on it. That said, when fishing from a boat, I pretty much always also had my 7wt streamer rod with a sink tip line available too so I could cover multiple depths of water.

The Mojo Bass was great for making short to medium length casts with poppers or other relatively light flies. The bass/pike line loaded it pretty well even for shorter casts.