Basic Survival Skills for a Flyfisherman Just Learning to Swim

Zoran

Steelhead
One thing is very important to know: everybody slipped and fell in. Some more than once. Stay away from anglers who says they never happened to them. :cool:

Zak

Legend
The thing that scares me most is falling and hitting my head on a rock. I will wet wade very deep but am much more cautious when wearing waders and I always use a staff. I've thought about getting a Mustang inflatable pfd.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think the main advantage of being a swimmer is that you'll be more comfortable with the water when that inevitable dunk happens. I've only fallen in rivers a few times, and swimming isn't what saved me. Not panicking and working to make my way to calm water and the shore did. I've learned that I'm not as strong a swimmer as I used to be, maybe because I'm not as strong at anything as I used to be. I do use a wading staff, and that makes a big difference. But I always have, and still do, look at my surroundings and know where I'm going to end up if I do go in. If I would end up in a log jam or similar before making it to shore, I don't wade across there. And then there is seasonality. There's a lot of places that ain't gonna' kill me if I fall in during the summer, but I sure don't want to take that same chance during the winter.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I will ask because in October, I lost a good friend who was fishing the Cowlitz and drowned, PLEASE wear a lifevest (PFD) even when wadding. We never know when a slip, stumble, or fall will happen. And even with a belt, you are at extreme risk of sinking.

I am a strong swimmer and have been my entire life, but i know everybody has limits. I also am not afraid of the water, BUT I have EXTREME respect for water. I know that water has a lot of weight once inside your waders or pants, and shoes are wet from first-hand experience. Then add the panic factor, rocks, and debris fields that can pin you, and drowning is quickly next.

Once when we were kids, wadding the Breitenbush River, Grandpa, Dad, little brother and I, my brother and I both slipped into the river, luckily both his and my wind breakers filled with air the the back. We were fishing me, then gramps, then brother, then Dad just for these cases. Gramps grabbed me as I floated by, and about 10 minutes later, Dad grabbed brother add he floated by.

I don't even step into any boat or body of water without an inflatable PDF anymore.

Stay safe and alive for those you love and those that care about you.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Willingness to learn new skills as an adult is a great mindset, and one I wish I had more often. I’m not a trained swimmer, and it has limited some of my outdoor pursuits. That said, the worst wading situations I can imagine would still be very bad for the best swimmers. Logs, cold water, heavy clothing, fast currents want discretion. I don’t always like to carry a staff, but it really is a good idea — on the bank and in the river. (I worry about knees and ankles when rock hopping a few miles from the car, especially in the winter, especially if crossing.)

Shad

Life of the Party
When we're young and agile, we get out of a lot of bad situations with sheer strength and balance. From that perspective, it's probably not too crazy that we all waded with reckless abandon as young folk. As we age, there seems to be a natural survival strategy that kicks in to compensate for our diminishing ability to escape trouble with brute strength and agility. Listen to that voice that tells you to back off....

RCF

Life of the Party
Water is a lot more powerful than we recognize or even imagined. For example, On Rock Creek I have been in side channel with 6" of water, with studded felt boots on and the water was moving me downstream. I rarely wade deeper than my knees anymore.

There is so much great advice in this thread. I will only add/emphasize one thing. Moving water is dangerous. But do what you can to make it your 'friend'. Never, ever swim against it. Let it guide you downstream to a safer location. Be on your back, feet downstream and arms keeping you upright and may help guide to to a safer place. The goal is to get to the first safe place ---> not the side of the river you want that may have a safe place. When I was young, my dad would help me practice floating downstream. Started with easy riffles and graduated to more challenging riffles. I have used that learning/experience a couple of times (wish I did not have to). Make sure that is a part of your 'tool kit' when out on the water...

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Water is a lot more powerful than we recognize or even imagined. For example, On Rock Creek I have been in side channel with 6" of water, with studded felt boots on and the water was moving me downstream. I rarely wade deeper than my knees anymore.

There is so much great advice in this thread. I will only add/emphasize one thing. Moving water is dangerous. But do what you can to make it your 'friend'. Never, ever swim against it. Let it guide you downstream to a safer location. Be on your back, feet downstream and arms keeping you upright and may help guide to to a safer place. The goal is to get to the first safe place ---> not the side of the river you want that may have a safe place. When I was young, my dad would help me practice floating downstream. Started with easy riffles and graduated to more challenging riffles. I have used that learning/experience a couple of times (wish I did not have to). Make sure that is a part of your 'tool kit' when out on the water...
Rock creek is one of my two danger spots.
I have a specific spot I like crossing when the water is low enough. I went across it late august last year, assuming it was going to be a similar experience to my previous crossing. It was not, I ignored my gut that it was a bad idea. The return trip was just as scary. I question if I'll make a third crossing.
Same deal. A side channel that gets just above knee deep. But that water was moving last time.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've spent my whole life on and in the water. Always considered myself a strong swimmer.

I've fallen into a few rivers when I was young, and went overboard offshore when working as a deckhand 6 or 7 years ago. What I learned in those scenarios is that I don't care if you're Michael Phelps, you go in when wadered/slickered up with boots and such on, your swimming skills won't do you a damn thing.

I'll never forget going overboard offshore. Out there the current seems very mild compared to Inshore, as noticed by the degree of difficulty in maintaining boat position and keeping lines straight up and down when bottom fishing. Fishing Halibut in 500-700' is a cake walk compared to fishing lingcod in 120' Inshore due to the huge difference in current. Still, when I went overboard what really amazed me the most was.how strong that current was, how quickly I was being pulled away from the boat, and how I was unable to make any headway trying to swim against the current in my rain gear and boots. No way was I going to be able to swim back to the boat.

What I learned is that being comfortable on the water and being a proficient swimmer is definitely a good thing, but in those scenarios Mother Nature will beat us pretty much all of the time. Im a die hard believer in wearing a PFD. I wear one at all times on my boats and insist others do the same. Things happen fast, and while it's easy to let our ego convince ourselves otherwise, we aren't as capable as we'd like to believe in many of those scenarios.

I never wore a PFD or used a wading staff when I fished rivers, but I'd most likely do so if I were to get into that game again.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
My guide in AK turned me on to these...Yaktrax Diamond Grip traction cleats...slip them over your wading boots...they greatly improve your traction on slippery rocks.
Only if there is something (in the stream and on rocks) for them to bite on. Otherwise, they are nice “ice skating blades”. The Siletz R has dry rock/boulders that will humble them and yourself. (Experience is wise ol’ friend)

johnnyboy

Steelhead
Even when I fish the beach, I usually keep safety in mind and at least pay attention to my surroundings since you never know how fast things can get dangerous.

Even some of those big waves caused by barges or cruise ships in the sound could be dangerous if your not paying attention or have trouble with mobility.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Even when I fish the beach, I usually keep safety in mind and at least pay attention to my surroundings since you never know how fast things can get dangerous.

Even some of those big waves caused by barges or cruise ships in the sound could be dangerous if your not paying attention or have trouble with mobility.

Good call. I've found myself in some sketchy scenarios beach fishing where I was way out in an area at low tide and didn't pay close attention as the tide started coming back in. Sometimes getting back to shore isn't as easy as it was when the tide is way out.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I flipped my pontoon last April on the Sauk. Complete submersion. When swimming in waders you have to kick like crazy to make head way, but it can be done. Wear the PFD!

I don't take chances when wading. I use a staff. I stay where it's safe. My days of bobbing on tip toes to get across are way behind me.

Wolverine

Smolt
It took me 3 “experiences” to finally give water the respect it deserves. The first was over 50 years ago on the Big Manastee river in Michigan below Tippy dam. I’d waded down a mid river gravel bar to fish a seam on the far shore. Fishing was great! Rainbows, browns, and walleyes were on the chomp. I heard the horn blow that indicates the dam opening but figured I had time for a couple more fish. Wrong! The water velocity increased and started rising. I couldn’t wade back up so I tightened the straps and started to swim. 100+ yards down river I made it out on the far shore. Then had a half mile walk back up, over the dam and back to camp. The second was in the mid 80’s when I thought I could cross the mouth of the Cascade river. The water was below my knees but it was moving so fast it swept me out into the Skagit. I was able to swim to shore quickly.
The third (and hopefully last) was below Eagle creek on Hood Canal. I’d waded down and out and was c&r’ng chum after chum. I looked down and saw the water had nearly risen to the top of my waders. I had to cross a slight depression on my way back to shore. I had to bounce on my tip toes with water nearly to my neck. Only got a little damp but lesson learned. Now at 78 years old I basically wear knee boots and only wear waders if it’s pouring rain. Besides I can cast as far as I need to from ankle deep.

RCF

Life of the Party
Had some property on the Clark Fork. Has a beautiful very long gravel bar on far side with a great side channel. Walked up stream and waded cross current to the bottom of gravel bar. Fishing was great! Walked to the top of the gravel bar and proceeded back across. Rut-Roh. Too deep and could not turn around. Ended up floating a 1/2 mile down stream before I could get out safely.

Note to self: the path across is different than the path back. Never fish that side channel again.

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The second was in the mid 80’s when I thought I could cross the mouth of the Cascade river. The water was below my knees but it was moving so fast it swept me out into the Skagit. I was able to swim to shore quickly.
Funny, that could have been me last Springer season if I didn't decide that particular wade was beyond my solo comfort level. Saw plenty of folks wading across what looked like a very calm stretch of water to get to a bar, I felt perfectly confident half way there but the water that looked like it should have bottomed out just kept getting deeper and deeper, and the current felt stronger and stronger. I turned around while I still had confidence that I could and stuck to the boulders

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've spent my whole life on and in the water. Always considered myself a strong swimmer.

I've fallen into a few rivers when I was young, and went overboard offshore when working as a deckhand 6 or 7 years ago. What I learned in those scenarios is that I don't care if you're Michael Phelps, you go in when wadered/slickered up with boots and such on, your swimming skills won't do you a damn thing.

I'll never forget going overboard offshore. Out there the current seems very mild compared to Inshore, as noticed by the degree of difficulty in maintaining boat position and keeping lines straight up and down when bottom fishing. Fishing Halibut in 500-700' is a cake walk compared to fishing lingcod in 120' Inshore due to the huge difference in current. Still, when I went overboard what really amazed me the most was.how strong that current was, how quickly I was being pulled away from the boat, and how I was unable to make any headway trying to swim against the current in my rain gear and boots. No way was I going to be able to swim back to the boat.

What I learned is that being comfortable on the water and being a proficient swimmer is definitely a good thing, but in those scenarios Mother Nature will beat us pretty much all of the time. Im a die hard believer in wearing a PFD. I wear one at all times on my boats and insist others do the same. Things happen fast, and while it's easy to let our ego convince ourselves otherwise, we aren't as capable as we'd like to believe in many of those scenarios.

I never wore a PFD or used a wading staff when I fished rivers, but I'd most likely do so if I were to get into that game again.
I need to spend a day out on the sound just doing man overboard drills

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I think the main advantage of being a swimmer is that you'll be more comfortable with the water when that inevitable dunk happens. I've only fallen in rivers a few times, and swimming isn't what saved me. Not panicking and working to make my way to calm water and the shore did. I've learned that I'm not as strong a swimmer as I used to be, maybe because I'm not as strong at anything as I used to be. I do use a wading staff, and that makes a big difference. But I always have, and still do, look at my surroundings and know where I'm going to end up if I do go in. If I would end up in a log jam or similar before making it to shore, I don't wade across there. And then there is seasonality. There's a lot of places that ain't gonna' kill me if I fall in during the summer, but I sure don't want to take that same chance during the winter.

100%. It stymies the panic and allows you to get your bearings faster. You need to learn how to swim and regardless of how good you get, also don’t be dumb. I’ve dumped in rivers wading, gotten myself in stupid situations in the sound, flipped my kayak in lakes, flipped multiple canoes in rivers, etc. in my life and for most of those I was not wearing a PDF. I was dumb. I cannot ever recall not being able to swim I’d tell myself. We used to swim in rivers, jump from bridges, etc and nothing ever happened. What a dumb dumb :). Bought my first staff last year and always wear a pdf on watercraft now. My last dunking was a couple of years ago in a lake probably only 30 yards from shore. It was Feb or March, so I was wearing rubber boots, rain gear, etc. flipped doing something I’ve done many times in that kayak (netting a fish), sometimes hundreds of yards offshore in the sound. I was really cold and unenjoyable swimming my kayak to the bank. I wonder how that might have turned out if that had happened in the sound 200 yards offshore while not wearing a pdf. No bueno.