Basic Survival Skills for a Flyfisherman Just Learning to Swim

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah it probably wasn't wise to make 90% of my hobby's involve water in some way or another if I don't know how to swim. I'm taking swimming lessons next quarter because it probably isn't wise to wade into powerful rivers and have no way to survive if something goes wrong. Since the vast majority of folks learning to swim aren't wading into 3000 CFS flows like we are, I thought I would ask what specifically I should focus on.

I remember two scary experiences, one while wading in the Hoh, I stepped into what seemed to be a very tame section of river only for the whisper of the river to get louder and louder. Before long, I was shouting to my friend warning that I might have been about to slip. Fortunately that did not happen. Another time was working on the Tahuya, a tiny tiny river on Hood Canal you would mistake for a creek. Just after spring high flows. Climbing onto the trap I recall my legs being swept behind me. Walking back, my coworker managed to find me a stake to use as a wading staff.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That's a good plan, we started our kids and grandkids as babies, as so many things we like to do involves water as well. I'm a strong swimmer, and always figured I could swim out of any trouble. Bullshit. If you fall off a boat with clothes on, it's basically treading water and you better have your PDF on. And if you dunk in a river with waders, you're really not swimming.
I would say focus on treading water, and on body control (floating, turning, rolling, ect.), and basically just getting comfortable in the water. Learn to float on your back. For strokes, the breast stroke and side stroke are easiest with clothes on. When you're comfortable, go with a couple buddies to the river, put your waders on, and practice "falling in". Might just save your life.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Kashf - Learning to swim is a good thing but being able to "swim" wearing waders, wading boots, vest, sling pack, hip pack, rain jacket, etc. and multiple layers? May I suggest one of these:

1708352581793.png

@Herkileez builds them and has them listed in the Classifieds section.

You could also wear a PFD as Tom suggests. Do wear a wading belt, cinched up.

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
While I admire and encourage you to take swimming lessons, do not let the fact that you can swim lead you into a false sense of security.

I have been a swimmer since a young tike when I had several years of lessons, earning a gold level; I would consider myself a strong swimmer. Having said that, at my age, if I am in any current, if there is equally deep or deeper water below me, I never wade above my waist or to any depth where I start to feel buoyancy and current lifting my feet off the bottom. As mentioned, with boots, jackets etc, but especially waders that can act like a sea anchor even with a cinched belt, it is just asking for disaster.

Best of luck, and do enjoy your time swimming, just not in a stream with all your paraphernalia.

Edit: to clean up my botched spelling/grammar

Cheers

Last edited:

Smalma

Life of the Party
I resisted getting a wading staff because it would announce that I was getting old…then I realized I was getting old…I never go to the river without one now…
I understand the concern of looking older but at the same time we all hope to get older!

Learning to swim is a good first step in an unexpected dip in one of our rivers. Remember that little dip in the winter/spring or even early summer is a much different and threating situation due to cold water temperatures. With the temperatures in the 40s or lower the experiencing is breath taking in the worst way and there will be a very short window before hypothermia sets in.

Until my 50s I considered myself to be a strong wader and spend many days in boats, rafts and snorkeling our western Washington rivers. I will be 77 next month and having survived that long in spite being in or around the water for a few 1,000 days I have some recommendations.
1) Having and using a wading staff is an easy first step. Prior to getting my folding wading staff nearly 30 years ago on almost of the tricky wades on my favorite rivers I would stash "found" staff on each spot. The best "found" staff would be beaver gnawed vine maple stick 1 to 1.5 in diameter and 3 feet or so in length.

2) wear and cinch a wader belt.

3) While in a floating device always wear some sort of a life jacket. I now even wear a life jacket while wading if I expect any challenging crossing.

4) Know your own abilities, much better (drier) to be careful than to be risky.

5) If fishing with a buddy during a crossing team up: Put the strong of the two on the upstream side and the weaker directly below in the current lee if you will. Each angler should use a free hand to grab a fist full of shoulder material allowing each to support the other. I like to have the stronger wader (for most of my life that would have been me) on the upper side using a staff while the downstream angler holding both rods.

6) if you are the smaller/lighter wader angler following a larger stronger wader, remember you will be more likely to float away.

7) develop the habitat of before wading that you have an escape plan that would include how to avoid any downstream obstacles and which bank will provide the quickest/safest exit. This should include an assessment of that plan and if too risky don't cross.

8) As we age adopt some of the above habitats even only wading along a bar.

If you happen to take a spill flip on you back attempting to float downstream, not only will that allow you to see what is coming I learned that pushing off of a log. boulder, etc. with my feet instead of my head tends to be a better strategy. Once on your back get your feet up and if lucky or have a belt on some air trapped in your waders. Remember while waders full of water are not a huge problem while the water they suddenly will become very heavy as you try to walk or pull yourself out of the water. If in a relatively save exit situation be prepared to dump that water. Should be a straight forward thought process but it will be likely by this point you will knot be thinking clearly so know this before hand could be helpful. While I have resisted ditching my rod that well be a needed action. Before making that wade consider if you take a spill and get out of the river whether the trip back to your vehicle or other safety is reasonable. A mile long hike through the woods soaking wet in near freezing temperatures may not end well.

If you can swim a dip in the local pool or a lake during the summer (simply wade out to armpit depth lay out on your back) fully clothed and remove that clothing. A lifesaving class I took required us to practice removing that clothing and shoes.

Curt

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
As others have said, as a lifelong, confident and competent swimmer I dont anticipate being able to swim out of a "dunk in the river with waders" situation. It's too powerful with too many factors working against you.

If you are wading relatively safe water (waist deep or less in mild current) then the real danger of falling in is panicking. If you can keep your head and find the river bottom, you just stand back up. No swimming needed. If you panick and flail you're as likely to push yourself deeper as you are to work towards shore.

Wear a PFD and use a staff if you're going to cross fast water or any main flows. Remember you're NOT swimming out, it's not an option so stay on your feet and out of water that takes your feet out from under you.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
My guide in AK turned me on to these...Yaktrax Diamond Grip traction cleats...slip them over your wading boots...they greatly improve your traction on slippery rocks.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Lots of good advice being shared....here's what I have to add....

First, in addition to 'knowing your limits' is to be aware of your 'triggers' (for lack of a better descriptor)....meaning I know at the end of the day when I'm tired, hungry, dehydrated, whatever, I am more likely to take higher risks simply because I want to get to the truck quickly. So try not to put yourself in a bad situation in the first place.

Then, in my opinion, solid 'footing' is next. I, too, have a set of the Yaktrax Diamond grips...they are money. (I used the more inexpensive Yaktrax previously but I was continually repairing them with zip ties after cutting the underlying rubber on sharp rocks, barnacles, etc.) I'm guessing anything that gives you 'sure' footing will work, be it studs, plates, or something similar.

I also use a wading staff. Mine is an old aluminum cross country ski pole. I keep it attached to my belt with a bungee so it is always within reach. Yes, sometimes it's a pain in the ass when it gets tangled with my line or caught up in the bushes but I'd rather have it quickly to hand. Plus, an added bonus is I've dragged it behind me for so long the end has been ground/sharpened into quite the point so I'll be ready if attacked by tweekers, wolverines or mountain lions. The down side is it's one more thing to get tangled up in if I tumble down stream.

Still next is for when shit goes sideways and none of the above worked...wear a PFD. I selected a manual inflatable waist belt which doubles as a wading belt. I chose manual for a handful of reasons, knowing the down side is if I'm injured or incapacitated...it's no bueno. I inspect it often and test it annually. I'm a firm believer in muscle memory so I keep the pull tab in the same place all the time. I also routinely do mental emergency action drills and visualize doffing my back pack or whatever...but that's my Safety Sam side.

And finally, talk with your swim instructor. Tell them why you're taking the course because they might have some other suggestions to help control your breathing, for example, or how to find the surface when you're tumbling down stream, or how to deal with an immediate downstream hazard.

Ask if you can bring your gear in to test it in a safe environment. In my area our public pools will allow people to bring kayaks, etc to practice with....so perhaps they'll let you go in with your waders & stuff, or experience how explosive a PFD can be.

I could go on but ‘ that will do, donkey'
1708361782511.jpeg

Have fun and don't forget your water wings (y)

Last edited:

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I remember watching my young life pass before my eyes as I got swept down stream, bouncing along the river bottom.
Well thank the river gods for spitting me out on the gravel bar.
I learned to swim at a early age and had I not panicked that day I still would have ended up on that gravel bar, cause that's what the river was gonna do.
As long as you don't panic your training will kick in and you can go with the flow.
Wading staff, wader belt, PFD all good plans.
I watched a video of what to do if ya go down wearing waders. Look it up worth the watch.
You can catch air in the legs if ya can remember to tuck yer knees to yer chest.
I don't much like the idea of drowning, but if that's the way I go, I died doing what I love to do.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Exercising balance is crucial also, and in the scheme of things probably more useful in your day to day for fall prevention

Squats
1 leg squats on hard floor
1 leg squats on carpet (it's surprising how much harder this is, particularly if carpet is plush)
try the same 1 leg squats while lifting your rear leg as high as you can get it....

Zoran

Steelhead
More than anything, for me is correct assessment of the water situation (flow speed, type of the bottom, how slippery is and how deep water is).
You can have a great swimming skills but even if you fell into calm deep waters with waders on, could be very dangerous. You have to have belt synched and jacket over (zipped).

On the picture @Buzzy posted above, first thing I focused on, angler is in knee deep water. That is exactly how deep I would go (often go). As soon I as wade over the knees I carefully evaluate: if there is risk I would be swept? I constantly evaluate risk.

Not all can be controlled of course.
One serious example is what happened on local river here. Equipment malfunction on local dam caused significant release of water without audible warning. Father and son were swept and died. One is still missing since he was swept to ocean. Never been found.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
I remember going fishing with an old timer on a large river with my small 14' Valco with a 25hp Johnson, he threw me a lifevest before we took off and said, "this won't help you, but it will make it easier for others during body recovery."

He was very experienced running a large powerful river from a small power outboard, we used my boat a few times and when it came down to going by myself or with a buddy, I decided to sell the boat and stick to bank fishing. If you aren't 110% confident in your abilities wading or boating, don't do it.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Safety is a concept I will better try to focus on this year.
I had 2 instances last year where I made it across my crossings, to think afterwards, "what the he'll was I thinking", and "damn, I have to get back across, that's scary". It wouldn't have taken much for me to be typing a different story here.

The last one, before my way back I made note that I wasn't wearing my sinch belt amd had a bulky back pack. There was ample under water snags, and it was a ways before I hit calmer water. And nobody in the world knew where I was at. When I raft, I give my wife my locations, but less so when I just decide to go fishing randomly.

Think the main thing is to think of worst case scenarios that are not super far fetched. Take a few minutes to ponder before acting. What happens if I fall? How slippery is it? Snags, other hazards? How apt am I to regret crossing this if I do fail crossing/wading?
I often have studs in my shoes and a staff, which help a ton. But I also have taken a few steps into water to promptly turn around if it doesn't feel right. Don't let pride or will power over run common sense. Sometimes when that prime spot is just over there, it's not so easy to do.

Shad

Life of the Party
Absolutely learn to swim! Even if you don't play in water often, there's so much of it around here that you don't have to try too hard to find yourself in it, and if you know how to swim, you will be less likely to panic and make the mistakes that kill people when you do.

When things go wrong in moving water, you often don't have any time to process what is happening before things get extremely real. Not being panicked that you might sink while you're trying to get your bearings is huge. Know that you are neutrally bouyant in filled waders, but as someone else said, as soon as you try to stand up, the weight of the water can be immense, and it can be nearly impossible to take steps toward the bank. Stay on your back and push yourself toward the nearest calm (and hopefully shallow) water. It will probably be very slow progress, but if you stay calm, you will almost always eventually end up in a place where you can get out.

Obviously, the ultimate strategy is to stay on your feet (which you've done well so far, apparently). To that end, the wading staff is great. If you don't have one, like @Smalma said, you can almost always find a serviceable stick on the bank somewhere. When even that fails, and you take an unplanned swim, A PFD might be the difference between a crazy story and a tragic one. I only recently started wearing one when I fish alone, and it's good to know it's there. I recommend the NRS Chinook model, because it's more comfortable to fish in than most, and it has lots of storage for fishing gear, so you can use it to replace a fishing vest or pack.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I posted this on the other site 2/6/2021
Well it happened today. I got the biggest scare I've ever had in the water today. It was a winter low water water day so I didn't expect anything to happen. How many years have I brought a change of clothes and towel and not needed them. Well I did today, and it was in a situation in that was no where near challenging, until it became that moment. I was contact nymphing, and fishing from about shin deep about 10' back from the edge drop to a seam I was fishing along the bank, and there was a pool, with a log jam on my side, about 20 yards long about 15' below my position. I hooked a little fish, I can laugh now, and it ran straight for the pool and the log jam. Trying to keep it out I just rotated to my right a little to apply pressure. All of a sudden I could feel all the rocks move under my feet. I hit on my butt and instantly I was in that pool bobbing vertically, and I could not touch bottom. I could feel the water coming in the top of my waders, even though I had secured the top, had the wading belt on, and the waist strap from my chest pack. I do pretty good under pressure usually, and this was no different. In about a second I was going to be at a log sticking 1/2 way into the river directly below me. The log was a few inches under the surface where I was going to hit it, but the log jam end was an out. To the left was the fast current and the way around the log. Because of the way the log was situated I chose it, and in my best "Deadpool" imitation it was maximum effort. To hit the log I kicked to help get my feet up, took a quick stroke with my arm launching the rod toward the log jam as I rolled, then the current had me right on top of the log as I planned and I shimmied out, retrieved my rod, and then released the fish.
I've played in the river all my life. Not even 2 years ago my son, his buddy and I did a full wader full of water day on the river to know what it feels like. I knew that if that log had been at the surface I would have been pinned against it. As it was I could tell by the force that if I had draped my arms over it, I would not get my feet up and I'm not strong enough to pull myself out of that situation. So I would have gone under when I got tired. With a PFD I would have gone the other way. I could never have held that log with a PFD on. In this case as it was, I think if I had gone left, got my feet up and not struggled I would have hit bottom on the downstream end before my waders would have filled. As it was they were full to the knees. As usual, shit happens quick, and when you least expect it.

Attachments

• 1708370809694.png
    1708370809694.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I resisted getting a wading staff because it would announce that I was getting old…then I realized I was getting old…I never go to the river without one now…
Exactly!

The last time I fell in was last spring; fortunately, in water about shin-deep not moving at all. I had tried to climb onto a rock and found that my foot-tractors don't grip as well as I expected.

Last edited: