Bankside Tying - Photo Essay

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
Back in 2015, an on-line magazine wanted me to write an article on tying flies in hand. Historically, Atlantic salmon patterns were tied in hand prior to the invention of the vise. In those days, ghillies would tie up a pattern on the river for their sport when the occasion arose.

Since my article would include some historical tidbits, I wanted some accompanying photos that spoke of the flexibility to tie flies in almost any situation - all that was needed is a small tying kit and a few feathers. Plans were made and I harassed my wife into being my photographer. She was not too keen on waking up at o-dark-thirty and having me tell her what I wanted. Thankfully the steelhead obliged and she didnt have to prolong her displeasure.

The pattern tied is the "Sir Charles" - well-known to Atlantic salmon anglers and it does well in bright sun.

I had to cross the river where my wife didn't feel safe wading with her camera, so the fish picture was taken with my camera phone.

In retrospect, the whole project was a bit coerced : trying to meet a magazine deadline, dragging my wife along to take forced pictures (and all that comes along with that), feeling the pressure to perform a feat not too often attempted these days, etc. I wish it was more organic but in the end it was a fun memory.

longputt

Steelhead
I really think this is cool...I've always wanted to see a collection of flies from the 1700 and 1800s...this is as close as you can get. I wonder if the ghillie had to tackle the peacock to get the sword!

The closest I've come is trimming muddlers on the steering wheel driving I-5 to the K for steelhead!

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
A steering wheel makes a nice Vice while you’re driving. Not quite bank-side, but it’ll do in a pinch when your young, stupid and desperate to make it to the water.
I really think this is cool...I've always wanted to see a collection of flies from the 1700 and 1800s...this is as close as you can get. I wonder if the ghillie had to tackle the peacock to get the sword!

The closest I've come is trimming muddlers on the steering wheel driving I-5 to the K for steelhead!

Irafly, Longputt: I heard of a Harry Lemire story where he tied a fly (as a driver) while stuck in Seattle traffic :oops:

Trimming muddlers in the driver's seat wouldn't be worse than women doing their makeup as they drive.

Cheers!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You might try it for S&G's...maybe when the wind blows you off the lake or lunch break hour: Whip out the big hook and some stringy material.

Cheers!
I honestly think it may be doable....Do you happen to have a closeup of how you actually hold the thread? I think my primary concern is cutting myself with the thread due to the pressure (I say that whilst fishing for big toothy critters capable of slicing my hand open....:LOL: )

Zak

Legend
Back in 2015, an on-line magazine wanted me to write an article on tying flies in hand. Historically, Atlantic salmon patterns were tied in hand prior to the invention of the vise. In those days, ghillies would tie up a pattern on the river for their sport when the occasion arose.

Since my article would include some historical tidbits, I wanted some accompanying photos that spoke of the flexibility to tie flies in almost any situation - all that was needed is a small tying kit and a few feathers. Plans were made and I harassed my wife into being my photographer. She was not too keen on waking up at o-dark-thirty and having me tell her what I wanted. Thankfully the steelhead obliged and she didnt have to prolong her displeasure.

The pattern tied is the "Sir Charles" - well-known to Atlantic salmon anglers and it does well in bright sun.

I had to cross the river where my wife didn't feel safe wading with her camera, so the fish picture was taken with my camera phone.

In retrospect, the whole project was a bit coerced : trying to meet a magazine deadline, dragging my wife along to take forced pictures (and all that comes along with that), feeling the pressure to perform a feat not too often attempted these days, etc. I wish it was more organic but in the end it was a fun memory.
That is so frickin awesome!

longputt

Steelhead
I honestly think it may be doable....Do you happen to have a closeup of how you actually hold the thread? I think my primary concern is cutting myself with the thread due to the pressure (I say that whilst fishing for big toothy critters capable of slicing my hand open....:LOL: )
This has to be my favorite thread, I hope you post more..all questions are welcome. Sir Charles are now on my fly wall...if my tying wasn't so bad I'd post! Please keep this going. Very Cool.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
I use silk thread, so it's not much of a worry about cutting myself. But for musky flies, you're probably using gelspun? Maybe a few solid wraps and then superglue...etc.

If you click on the pic above it should show a clip of me tying.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
Well...I was in college at UW so the hangover was a complication! Did stream side tyers use what was at hand? Did they bring materials?
I suspect, back in the golden age of Atlantic salmon flies, that streamside tyers had their stash of good feathers but also added their own "flair" to the standard patterns. When researching these patterns, a lot of them were attributed to ghillies of certain beats. I think most ghillies were supplied with exotic materials as some of the landowners were wealthy (just a guess on my part): in addition, the ghillies had a "ghillie hut" where they stored there fishing equipment as well as their tying materials).

Back before the patterns became extravagant, most flies were drab using cock hackle and duck feathers (most people refer to these as the "Spey flies"). So not too many materials were needed.

My pipe dream goal is to bring a dry fly hook and thread to the riverbank, find some wheat grass spike and some organic ground material that might pass for legs, tie all that on a hook and raise a steelhead with it.:D