Bamboo Rod ID

jeradjames

Steelhead
I’m wondering if anyone can help me ID this rod that was my great grandpas? I can’t find anything on the rod that states the wt. I measured it awhile ago and believe it was around 8.5 feet or so. I can remeasure it if that will help identifying it. He was more of a gear fisherman from what my mom has told me and spent a lot of time on the Skykomish. I spent a lot of time at his house when I was little in North Everett and wish I could pick his brain these days about many things. It would be pretty cool to catch some fish with his old rod if it’s still able to be used. Seems like it’s in good shape from what I can tell and there’s an extra tip as well. Thank you if you can help.
My great grandpa, we called him Grandpa Sweetie Pie or Swede. Here’s him with my grandma.
IMG_7512.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8164.jpeg
    IMG_8164.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8165.jpeg
    IMG_8165.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8166.jpeg
    IMG_8166.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8167.jpeg
    IMG_8167.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8168.jpeg
    IMG_8168.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 28

flybill

Life of the Party
A cool old Wright & McGill bamboo rod! I wouldn't refinish it or sell it. Fish it! Guessing a 4wt or 5wt.. fish it!

My first rod was my dads, an 8' 8wt 2pc Wright & McGill fiberglass rod that I thought was a 5wt. Still caught fish on it though, even with a 5wt line.

I've since refinished the rod and have a feather inlay on it and my dad's name. I try to fish it on his birthday and father's day.. or around those timeframes.

For your rod, see if there's anything that indicates the rod weight. And post it on the classic rod / bamboo forum and you'll get lots of info or just google it.

Cheers!
FlyBill

flybill

Life of the Party

Might be worth about $200 or so.. check EBAY and some of the other forums.. I would love to check it out in person sometime. I've got 5 bamboo rods, with 2 more on the way most likely. One I rebuilt and is a wall hanger.

flybill

Life of the Party
Not saying yours is this valuable, but I would do you due diligence. Or just fish it! Bamboo is tough, tougher than fiberglass or graphite and meant to be fished imho!

1700882399170.png

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Beautiful rod, you’re fortunate to have your Great Grandfathers rod. He had very good taste.

If it’s 8’ 6” long, it’s what Granger (later purchased and produced by the Wright & McGill company) called their “8642” model. The “86” refers to the length of the rod, and the “42” refers to the weight of the rod without the reel seat. The “Favorite” grade was near the top of the line as far as the different grades that they produced.

It’s a true 5 wt, and is the most beautiful rod they produced in my opinion. I like a rod with intermediate wraps and the Favorite has them in spades. That’s why I also own one, and have caught a lot of fish with it including steelhead and incidental Coho.

If it’s in good condition (make sure it is) I wouldn’t hesitate to fish it, bamboo rods are tougher than what most people think.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Oh, and it’s most likely worth somewhere between $600 and$750 if all sections are full length. It also appears to have the original tube and rod sock 👍

The rod flybill posted for $1,250 is a much older one made prior to Wright & McGill’s purchase of the company. It also has the very early down locking reel seat. Both features increase that particular rod’s value.

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
What is a reasonable price for one of these rods? I'm not meaning the OPs rod.. I think I want one, sounds like an amazing rod to own and fish!

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Your grandpa had good taste in fly rods!

The Granger Favorite is aptly named and is one of the more popular rods made in the 40's (by Goodwin Granger Rod Company) and then in the late 40's - 50's (by its successor, Wright McGill). They came in lengths of 7-1/2', 8', 8-1/2' and 9' (I don't believe they made the Favorite in 7' or 9-1/2' but I could be wrong). The shorter lengths hold more "collector value" but if I was to choose just one to fish I'd be torn between the 8' and 8-1/2'.

As Greg mentioned above, the rod sizes were given a 4 digit number with the first two digits referring to the length (feet, inches) and the second two referring to the scale weight in ounces (4.2 ounces). Granger then added the "model" or cosmetic design name to those four digits to complete the rod's abbreviated name. So your Granger Favorite ("GF") would be abbreviated to "GF8642" which you should see on the rod's label if you're so lucky to have the original label still intact.

I own the GF8642 in the early version made by Goodwin Granger pre-WWII. It is a tad more gentle in its casting characteristics than the same models produced a decade later under Wright McGill. It's a very capable 5 weight, but could do well with 4 weight DT line on it. The rod tapers under Goodwin Granger were still the original tapers made by that great man himself before he passed away too young. The company was closed during WWII but restarted after WWII under the new ownership of Wright McGill. Goodwin's shop foreman, Bill Phillipson, carried production and design responsibilities under Wright McGill. He later formed his own highly respected rod making company, Phillipson Rod Company. Bill seemed to lean towards the western style of fishing where rods needed to have a little extra power and in most folk's opinions the rods made during the Wright McGill period somehow gained a tad more power. So I'd expect your rod to also cast a 5 weight but possibly also do well with a 6 it you preferred based on your casting and fishing style. But each rod can vary a bit so try different lines to see which line the rod tells you it prefers. Make sure to use lines that play well with the slower casting stroke of bamboo, they tend to not like the lines designed for faster graphite. Most double-tapers work well. Steve mentioned his preferred Cortland Sylk, a great bamboo rod line. I like the Wulff lines, 406 lines and some Scientific Anglers lines best. I have an unused six weight Scientific Anglers line that might be perfect I'd offer to you for $25 if you want to try it. In fact, you'd be more than welcome to come by my home in north Bothell and cast your Wright McGill side by side with my Goodwin Granger 8642 Favorite if you want to see if my thoughts on the slight differences between the rod eras has any merit.

Enjoy that rod, fish it! Or at least catch a few fish before you display it if that's your inclination. The photo below is of an extremely rare Favorite made in 1940 in the Favorite's very first year of production. It's a long story and I have since sold that collectible rod to a collector, but just know that the word "Favorite" on a Granger rod is something to be very happy to see.

Ron

[url=https://postimages.org/][/URL]

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What is a reasonable price for one of these rods? I'm not meaning the OPs rod.. I think I want one, sounds like an amazing rod to own and fish!
Bill, that's a complicated question. For starters, I'd expect to pay $800-$900 for an excellent, all-original condition and full length Goodwin era GF8642, and maybe $100 less for the same condition Wright McGill era rod. From that starting point, deduct for any repairs needed or even already made if the rod is no longer all "original." Some would also deduct if they thought the rod had been polished and revarnished but I'm less certain of that.

For one point of reference, my Goodwin era GF8642 came to me last year in original, very good condition with tube, sock, but one tip was short by 2" which knocked a large amount to a collector's value. So it cost me $440 plus shipping from a private party sale. After I had that tip scarfed and the end rewrapped I'd guess it might sell for $600 now, give or take $50.

You can find the "lower grade" Granger rods for somewhat lower prices. Maybe deduct $100 if it's an Aristocrat, and deduct $200 if it's a Special or Victory. Regardless of "grade" or even cosmetics, they are a really enjoyable rod to fish in either the Goodwin or Wright McGill taper.

flybill

Life of the Party
Bill, that's a complicated question. For starters, I'd expect to pay $800-$900 for an excellent, all-original condition and full length Goodwin era GF8642, and maybe $100 less for the same condition Wright McGill era rod. From that starting point, deduct for any repairs needed or even already made if the rod is no longer all "original." Some would also deduct if they thought the rod had been polished and revarnished but I'm less certain of that.

For one point of reference, my Goodwin era GF8642 came to me last year in original, very good condition with tube, sock, but one tip was short by 2" which knocked a large amount to a collector's value. So it cost me $440 plus shipping from a private party sale. After I had that tip scarfed and the end rewrapped I'd guess it might sell for $600 now, give or take $50.

You can find the "lower grade" Granger rods for somewhat lower prices. Maybe deduct $100 if it's an Aristocrat, and deduct $200 if it's a Special or Victory. Regardless of "grade" or even cosmetics, they are a really enjoyable rod to fish in either the Goodwin or Wright McGill taper.
I wouldn't need a perfect one, but will look for this rod specifically. I'm actually about to order a 13' Bamboo spey rod from David Reid in ID and going to take the Bill Oyster class in GA and build a single handed 7' or 7'6" 4wt probably.. lots of money, but lots of fun and life is too short! Bring on the boo!

jeradjames

Steelhead
I had a good feeling someone would know something about it on here. This is great news, thank you everyone for your replies and all the information you've shared with me. I'll be looking at getting a line and reel for this ASAP and get out there and catch some fish. A lot of other stuff I inherited from my grandpa was high quality, even though he earned very little as a blacksmith, so I'm not too surprised this is a nice rod.

What would be a good reel to pair with this?

flybill

Life of the Party
Bill Oyster rods are beautiful! Please give us a long report with pics!
Hoping to go in February or March! Wait list is over a year out, but there's a good chance. Already got offered mid February, my birthday month, but will book and put a deposit down in December and take what they can give me!

Plus going to Alaska with some friends to teach her how to fly fish. Kenai Pennisula.. and Florida with a couple of others.. gonna make it happen!