Bamboo Conversion and Projects

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
This past June I was a well-entrenched plastic rod fly fisherman.
I have a 8ft Bamboo rod but hate the weight and slow action. Bambooflyguy talked me into letting him restore a bamboo rod a dying friend sent me.
Bambooflyguy spun some magic on this rod and it's now my goto Indicator rod.
In August Bambooflyguy says BST there is a bunch of project rods on craigslist. Cheap.
So what the heck I purchased the entire lot of about 20 rods. See pic of bucket of rods.
I am just finishing the first rod restoration.
Using simple straight forward hardware and getting the job done for about $50 including the cost of the rod.
This rod will cover my dry fly action and hoping the next one will provide good wet line capability.
took two months to transform me but I am all in now.
Also purchased some well used Hardys to make some really sweet music on these wonderful rods.

Peace,

1695957123064.png1695957163888.png

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Nice work. Really nice.

RCF

Life of the Party
With all those rods will there be a BST challenge to Hotrodz? After all you learned from the master. Hope you learned a lot from the master. Looking forward to what you produce...

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
With all those rods will there be a BST challenge to Hotrodz? After all you learned from the master. Hope you learned a lot from the master. Looking forward to what you produce...
No, I think it's challenging enough to redo these old rods.
The competive spirit is better savord on the water. At least I can almost compete against him.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It looks like you have enough rods to redo to keep you busy through at least one winter.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Buzzy, I think your onto something. Bambooflyguy is encouraging me and providing technical support, but like you said all those rod projects will keep me busy all winter. Perhaps Bambooflyguy real intent is to distract me so I don't catch as many fish as he does.
Hmmm...
I fished bamboo today, a rod I bought from @dryflyphotography a couple years ago, @Bambooflyguy consulted with me on repairs to one of the tip sections.
IMG_2996 - Copy.jpg

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nothing like jumping in with both feet. It certainly looks like a winter's worth of rod work. Just take your time and try to meet your own expectations whatever they may be.

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This past June I was a well-entrenched plastic rod fly fisherman.
I have a 8ft Bamboo rod but hate the weight and slow action. Bambooflyguy talked me into letting him restore a bamboo rod a dying friend sent me.
Bambooflyguy spun some magic on this rod and it's now my goto Indicator rod.
In August Bambooflyguy says BST there is a bunch of project rods on craigslist. Cheap.
So what the heck I purchased the entire lot of about 20 rods. See pic of bucket of rods.
I am just finishing the first rod restoration.
Using simple straight forward hardware and getting the job done for about $50 including the cost of the rod.
This rod will cover my dry fly action and hoping the next one will provide good wet line capability.
took two months to transform me but I am all in now.
Also purchased some well used Hardys to make some really sweet music on these wonderful rods.

Peace,

View attachment 83940View attachment 83941
Hmmm, never fished bamboo but all these posts sure have me intrigued…