Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I believe his new 3wt is an R8. Both his and his sons R8’s had the reel seat fall apart.
What? Really? I would not be a happy camper if I had recently purchased a so called premier flagship fly rod costing $1000.00 + to have it fall apart like that and if especially on a nice getaway. Why the backup is important too.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m probably wrong, it happens. But I’m usually skeptical when something scary goes down and a camera just happens to catch it. Like these survivor shows where people are in dire straits, but there’s a camera crew 30’ away.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I’m probably wrong, it happens. But I’m usually skeptical when something scary goes down and a camera just happens to catch it. Like these survivor shows where people are in dire straits, but there’s a camera crew 30’ away.
... and a 5-star hotel ...

Chadk

Life of the Party
Pro tip - when traveling to hunt or fish in Idaho, Montana, etc - use Turo.com or similar to get a local rental with plates matching the state...

Jellymon

Steelhead
Reel seats have separated multiple times in his videos. My theory is that it is caused by his rod vault, building up heat under the sun.
I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen him use a rod vault, he always assembles his rods. And the only two reel seats I’ve seen fail on his channel were the two R8’s, a rod known to have this issue. From the looks of it Sage isn’t, or wasn’t, putting enough adhesive there.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen him use a rod vault, he always assembles his rods. And the only two reel seats I’ve seen fail on his channel were the two R8’s, a rod known to have this issue. From the looks of it Sage isn’t, or wasn’t, putting enough adhesive there.

Pretty sure he had a rod vault on his Jeep. It might be gone now. I unsubscribed a while ago, because he started posting too much click bait.

SeaRunner

Steelhead
I've had bullets by me twice, both in SW WA on the same river. One time they were way up high in the trees and didn't seem all that scary. The other though one bullet hit a stump maybe 10-20 yards behind me. I heard the whizz and thump of the bullet hitting. That one was pretty scary and I was using any cover I could on my way back to the car as my only option getting back was to go along the same sight line as the stump that was shot.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well like I said I have seen maybe a dozen or so of his videos. He comes across okay and enthusiastic to me but I have not seen them all. I have no other knowledge of him than other his videos. Had no clue he had his own line of rods but I have never seen one video that I remember where he was using anything other than a Sage and mostly his TCR 5 weight.
Regarding rod vault. It seemed a pretty cold venture so I’m sure glue was not melted….. are you eluded to carrying rods in vaults year round will eventually lead to this breakdown?

I don’t know. I shared it because I thought it was a bit crazy. But it appears several of you have experienced the same. I have done some remote bush whacking to get to secret water type adventuress but have never encountered anything like that. But to be fair most of that has happened in WA and OR free feeling love states.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well like I said I have seen maybe a dozen or so of his videos. He comes across okay and enthusiastic to me but I have not seen them all. I have no other knowledge of him than other his videos. Had no clue he had his own line of rods but I have never seen one video that I remember where he was using anything other than a Sage and mostly his TCR 5 weight.
Regarding rod vault. It seemed a pretty cold venture so I’m sure glue was not melted….. are you eluded to carrying rods in vaults year round will eventually lead to this breakdown?

I don’t know. I shared it because I thought it was a bit crazy. But it appears several of you have experienced the same. I have done some remote bush whacking to get to secret water type adventuress but have never encountered anything like that. But to be fair most of that has happened in WA and OR free feeling love states.
I'm with you. Regardless if it's happened to half the people here, under no circumstances will I ever accept that this is ok and/or expected while out fishing (while obeying the law/private property).

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have watched some fly fish Dan vids. Good photography, and well edited. I do not take issue to anything really. Dude looks like he is enjoying being a nerd in the woods. Video gamers are now broadcasting their live play on different sources now too. Stuff has definitely evolved over time.
I am not drawn to his channel however. He seems in "character" when he is filming, and that for some reason rubs me wrong. His character that he chose is more like Reading Rainbow, and Big Comfy Couch type acting. Just be real.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
What? Really? I would not be a happy camper if I had recently purchased a so called premier flagship fly rod costing $1000.00 + to have it fall apart like that and if especially on a nice getaway. Why the backup is important too.
My brand new Sage X butt section fell off the second time I fished it early in the season. Had quite a bit of line out as the flyreel plummeted towards the bottom of the lake....and would have been lost if the fly hadn't caught in the rod tip guide.

The dipshits at Sage only had a blob of glue the size of a BB shot holding it on. 'Premier flagship fly rod' my ass. The flyshop I purchased it from (a long time Sage dealer) fixed it because they were certain I'd likely not see it again that season if I sent it in under warranty repair.

I now consider the Sage a backup flyrod to my much more dependable TFOs and Echos.....

Last edited:

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
My brand new Sage X butt section fell off the second time I fished it early in the season.

The dipshits at Sage only had a blob of glue the size of a BB shot holding it on. 'Premier flagship fly rod' my ass. The flyshop I purchased it from (a long time Sage dealer) fixed it because they were certain I'd likely not see it again that season if I sent it in under warranty repair.

I now consider the Sage a backup flyrod to my much more dependable TFOs and Echos.....

Sorry to hear that about your rod Krusty. That's pretty cool that the fly shop helped you out and fixed it for you though.