Backswimmers, Boatmen and Beetle Backs?

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was wandering through WinCo a few weeks ago, headed for the Saw Palmetto shelf, when my eye fell upon a peg loaded with artificial fingernails. There had been a recent PNWFF discussion on tying water boatmen, and the subject was still lurking in what's left of my mind. The fingernail shape seems roughly right for a variety of hard-shelled bugs, and can be shaped further with scissors. In application, painted fake nails seem to attract men, I wondered if the same might be true of fish. So I dug deep into my pocket and bought a package for $1.19. You get a LOT of nails for $1.19.

I ran across the package tonite, grabbed a Sharpie and turned a couple of the nails into black shellbacks. Have any of you tried to tie with these things? Did it work? I'm thinking dub a body, add some legs, hot-needle some holes in the shellback, and wire it on. Photo below shows most of the contents from one package. 94840 size 10 for scale.

EB22C87A-F963-4614-8792-5F0B0D7B1ED7.jpeg

There is a video on Wyoming Fly Fishers that shows a Waterboatman tied with aritficial finger nails as the back.