Backpacking...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I always told myself that I was philosophically okay with dying in the wilderness. If I didn't return home my family would figure out that something must have happened. Turns out that my family doesn't exactly share my philosophy, so last spring I bought a Garmin InReach Mini 2. It's light at less than 4 oz and low in bulk, but to make the best use of it I also have to carry my smart phone with me on hikes. I understand that most people do, but I always left my phone in the car since I don't plan to make phone calls while on the trail. Since I'm over 70 my wife was not liking me to go hiking solo. So now I carry the Garmin and my phone and consider the extra weight as just part of the price to be able to continue hiking in my senior years. I send a message home each night indicating where I am and as proof that I'm still alive and well.

Things do happen in the wilderness. Just yesterday I read/watched a video of a long distance hiker I follow who experienced a heart condition far from a trailhead and had to use the Garmin for a helicopter ride out to a hospital. It's like insurance; better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I totally get this. I don't want to go out being a blob. After my dunk a few years ago, and with so much to live for, the grandkids especially, I'm not going before my time. God has had a chance to take me a few times and I don't think he's done with me yet. My wife and I have casually talked about one as I'm always alone and sometimes out of cell service. I always leave a note exactly where I'm going and a return time I'll stick to though. That's how we've handled it until now. I think we'll revisit this.
Thanks for posting a reminder everyone.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks all.

Tom Butler We've been doing it that way for the last 40 plus years. I include my vehicle Info, probable camp spot locations, entry exit points etc. Ive gotta think about this a little harder I believe.

Be safe.

Bob

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks all.

Tom Butler We've been doing it that way for the last 40 plus years. I include my vehicle Info, probable camp spot locations, entry exit points etc. Ive gotta think about this a little harder I believe.

Be safe.

Bob
Spend the money, buy the thing, and buy peace of mind that help will come when you or someone you're with needs it.
I was on the Garmin monthly plan that I just activate when I am planning to go backcountry. So I activated it for her when she was planning her 6 day hike. Still pay an annual subscription fee.
Just got the bill for all the texts back and forth between me, her, emergency services helicopter, EMTs, etc....and it was an additional $30 over the monthly activation fee.
Saved a person's life. I'm good with that and would and will do it again.
Services turned off for now as the white stuff is starting to fly in the higher elevations and no backpacking trips planned in that!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Spend the money, buy the thing, and buy peace of mind that help will come when you or someone you're with needs it.
I was on the Garmin monthly plan that I just activate when I am planning to go backcountry. So I activated it for her when she was planning her 6 day hike. Still pay an annual subscription fee.
Just got the bill for all the texts back and forth between me, her, emergency services helicopter, EMTs, etc....and it was an additional $30 over the monthly activation fee.
Saved a person's life. I'm good with that and would and will do it again.
Services turned off for now as the white stuff is starting to fly in the higher elevations and no backpacking trips planned in that!
This is what I do. I closed mine out last week.