Back on the Water

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
That's awesome. Great to hear it

Bajema

Life of the Party
Here's the backstory on why I haven't done much fishing in so long. My wife started getting sick about 9 years ago. Her health began declining and at first, I was still able to find time to fit in some fishing, and honestly, it was a big part of helping me process and grieve what was happening. After a while though it was harder to get away as I was spending more and more time caring for her and just trying to keep up with life. The low point of all this was a three year period where she was basically bed-bound. That was hard.

Fortunately over time, we've gotten some diagnoses and found some treatments that have helped her significantly. She's still chronically ill and is quite limited in what she can do, but it's night and day from those years she spent in bed.

As she found some improvement though, my own mental health really took a nose dive. I've lived with depression and anxiety for a long time, but these last few years have not been easy. Then this past fall I was put on a project at work that was orders of magnitude more stressful than anything I'd worked on in my career. It was a real struggle and I reached a point where it was clear something had to change.

At the end of June I decided to take a ~12 medical leave for my mental health. So far it looks to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. The huge weight of work has been lifted and I have so much more space to rest and just be. I've also gotten the itch to get back out fishing during this break. I'm hoping to get up in the hills and visit some old haunts as well as do some exploring to find some new ones. I'm looking forward to it. I'm glad to be part of this community as I get back on to the water. It's a great resource and I hope to have more to contribute in the coming weeks as I get out and do some fishing.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Wow....sorry to hear of your life’s challenges. Hopefully you both come out on top! You both have youth on your side. Our thoughts and prayers for speedy recoveries from my family to yours.

Bajema

Life of the Party
I’m with my family camping along side a lake in Eastern Washington. Went out in the tube after dinner and lost three but landed one, my first largemouth bass! You could feel every one of its six inches in its fight 😂. I was going to take a picture, but it slipped through the holes in my net 🤷‍♂️

303F360E-5346-4734-9F5E-0EF5D4645398.jpeg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I’m with my family camping along side a lake in Eastern Washington. Went out in the tube after dinner and lost three but landed one, my first largemouth bass! You could feel every one of its six inches in its fight 😂. I was going to take a picture, but it slipped through the holes in my net 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 23442
Bass on boo? Sounds like a hoot!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Did you ever get a chance to make any of your own bamboo blanks? I remember you were gathering tools to build your own......I’m still on your waiting list!

Bajema

Life of the Party
The bamboo blank I was working on lay dormant for a while, but I did get started back up knit earlier this year. I’m hoping to make some more progress on that and hopefully be fishing with it later this year.