Avian Flu

ABITNF

Steelhead
You might have noticed higher costs for chicken, smaller and more costly turkeys over Christmas, and a big increase in the cost of eggs. Hold onto your CDC because our two main suppliers are telling us that they are having a hard time getting some things like CDC, high quality capes and saddles and some pheasant products and costs are going up.

DarrellP

Steelhead
I have been looking for loose jungle cock nails and a golden pheasant skin for a while. They are not available.
We have had sporadic outbreaks of AI in back yard chickens in Oregon. Not sure that the two are related, though.

BN2FSH

Smolt
The grocery stores in Alaska are having a difficult time getting eggs, and many stores don't have any. I guess ours all come from Washington.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Costco at Shoreline has been out of all eggs two separate times now.
Albertsons at Lake Forrest Park was out
of all eggs one day too. 🥚 $ ^^^

I love frittatas. 😞

Scottp

Legend
I lucked out and found a golden pheasant skin back in mid-October; need to bug some friends for ringneck rump patches. As far as hackle goes, I’ve found that foam (1 & 2mm) and deer hair make flies tied with even the crummiest hackle float just fine.
Local Costco has 2 package limit on eggs; my wife is glad cookie baking season is over.

Regards,
Scott

ABITNF

Steelhead
We picked up 2 natural GP skins and one dyed purple from estates. The 2 natural ones went out quick. I'm tempted to dye the purple one black for black GPs. It's odd we can buy crests, tippet and tails but no one has skins. Veniard hasn't had any for over 3 years.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing that. I noticed grouse pelts are out everywhere I looked. I'll have to send my son east to shoot one, I doubt I could hit anything anymore.

Obsessed

Just Hatched
We picked up 2 natural GP skins and one dyed purple from estates. The 2 natural ones went out quick. I'm tempted to dye the purple one black for black GPs. It's odd we can buy crests, tippet and tails but no one has skins. Veniard hasn't had any for over 3 years.
My recollection is that most of the golden pheasant skins are imported and were banned a few years back not sure why. They were subsequently replaced with the bird in a bag. Not quite the same.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Golden Pheasants are listed as a species of least concern so not endangered and it's easy to obtain crests and tippet so its importation isn't restricted. Most pheasant and a lot of other feathers from, ducks, geese, guinea and chickens come from China. Next to them India is likely second. I recall reading an article about Wapsi and it showed a crate full of GP skins from China. A few years ago they were common for less than $10.

In the world of tying materials, if you see something you like buy lots. It may not be around for long.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Thanks for sharing that. I noticed grouse pelts are out everywhere I looked. I'll have to send my son east to shoot one, I doubt I could hit anything anymore.
Blue Ribbon Flies have some #2 and Pro grades available. We have a rough and a sharptail but being as we're in Canada you're better off sourcing it south of the border.