Ask the Camp Chef

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I bought an alluminum dutch oven and one of the tents you put over a dutch oven. Was going to try and use it on a camp chef stove burner with the metal diffuse plate over the burner. Haven't given it a try yet. Any advise? Will this work well?
Know those well. I would suggest using two diffusers at once. With the domes you don't want to use the lid while you're cooking. They work ok, especially if you're camping during a burn ban. If you want the top to cook you'll want that lid off with the dome on.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks Jerry! I have an older aluminum Dutch oven. Took me a while to figure out how to cook with it; how to put a few coals at the base and the rest on the top. It was great for river trips, but now I cook with cast iron.

Russell

Steelhead
Thanks Jerry! I have an older aluminum Dutch oven. Took me a while to figure out how to cook with it; how to put a few coals at the base and the rest on the top. It was great for river trips, but now I cook with cast iron.
Any tips given for the aluminum vs cast Iron, I'm all ears. Bought it for trips that the weight and non rusting properties out weighed the cast iron.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Any tips given for the aluminum vs cast Iron, I'm all ears. Bought it for trips that the weight and non rusting properties out weighed the cast iron.
The big problem with aluminum is heat retention. I had a ring I would wrap around my aluminum Dutch ovens or use a deep fire pit to cook in. Even the slightest wind cools oven and extends your cooking time.

Russell

Steelhead
I've got a camp chef griddle top to my two burner explorer stove. It has heat deflectors welded to it where the burners are. Do you have any heat setting recomendations? Thinking in terms of creating different temp zones as well as temps for different foods. Breakfast stuff, burgers veggies steaks etc.... Still trying to figure my way with this one. Heats up as you go so where is the end heat setting I'm looking for.

Russell

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
@Jerry Daschofsky, I would like to be able to use large pans on a camp stove and still get even heat. I’ve found a lot of people online recommending the use of a diffuser. I have seen two types; one that sits on the burner and one that sits on the grates. Do you have any wisdom to share, in this area?

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I've got a camp chef griddle top to my two burner explorer stove. It has heat deflectors welded to it where the burners are. Do you have any heat setting recomendations? Thinking in terms of creating different temp zones as well as temps for different foods. Breakfast stuff, burgers veggies steaks etc.... Still trying to figure my way with this one. Heats up as you go so where is the end heat setting I'm looking for.

Russell
I rarely go above medium, maybe medium high max. You'll get cooler to the edge. In fact I'll usually do one burner a little lower in settings. A little on the medium to low on one side and medium high to the other. I've even totally shut off one side and ran the other on the medium high side. Can't give specifics. I cook so much on the flat tops I switch out depending on the food being cooked.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
@Jerry Daschofsky, I would like to be able to use large pans on a camp stove and still get even heat. I’ve found a lot of people online recommending the use of a diffuser. I have seen two types; one that sits on the burner and one that sits on the grates. Do you have any wisdom to share, in this area?
You can use the diffuser. Depends on size of the pan. The lower diffuser will spread out the heat more. If it's a smaller pan probably isn't needed, can use the one above to just shove heat to outer edges.

I will admit, I don't use pans often on my CC grills. I will use them to cook down a one pot meal in a camp Dutch oven (has legs). Then add topper to meal and bake down with lid on and briquettes. But for most part if I don't have a flat top on I'm using pots to do gravy, soup, etc.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
NY steak cut , pre seasoned with celery salt and pepper plus some Montreal type seasoning ….thick cut from DD in Lynwood butcher shop 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick. On the Weber at 450 - 475 for 6 and flip for 5. Covered after in foil with butter topping and fresh dash of seasonings. Rest for 15-20 minutes. Cut in slices So damn good. But what can I do to make it better chef Jerry? Sautéed mushroom? Different butter. Think I been using Irish butter from Costco. Any suggestions for a twist ? Thanks.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Question for the camp cook: Is there any reason to ever use unsalted butter? I see recipes calling for both unsalted butter and salt. Am I working to just use salted butter for everything?

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
NY steak cut , pre seasoned with celery salt and pepper plus some Montreal type seasoning ….thick cut from DD in Lynwood butcher shop 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 thick. On the Weber at 450 - 475 for 6 and flip for 5. Covered after in foil with butter topping and fresh dash of seasonings. Rest for 15-20 minutes. Cut in slices So damn good. But what can I do to make it better chef Jerry? Sautéed mushroom? Different butter. Think I been using Irish butter from Costco. Any suggestions for a twist ? Thanks.

Double DD Meats is in Mountlake Terrace, and the most amazing collection of sauces I've seen!

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Question for the camp cook: Is there any reason to ever use unsalted butter? I see recipes calling for both unsalted butter and salt. Am I working to just use salted butter for everything?
You don't know exactly how much salt is in the butter. And not all producers may add the same amount. By using unsalted butter, you have more control over the salt level in the dish.
Steve

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
The only time I've used unsalted butter is baking. Too much salt can inhibit the yeast . Otherwise it's salted for me. I know salt has some bad attributes for health, and most people shy away from cooking with it, but watch the big time chefs cook. They're not afraid to put in ample amounts, as it really brings out the favors. Americans in general are afraid to use seasoning and herbs. Don't be. Throw it in, get some flavors in your food..

RCF

Life of the Party
Eating foods with lots of salt helps increase water retention to a point of dangerous health issues. Rest of my post deleted because of TMPI...

Last edited: