"Arid Cataract Lake" from March 2021. The lake

This is an older trip report that never made it the other site (too busy by the time that I finished it). So, you can either view it as a continuity contribution to this subforum or as a fore-taste of opportunities that are right around the corner. Let’s call this “Arid Cataract Lake”. It is one of my favorite places to fish and it is great to fish it with a good friend. The scenery is spectacular and unique. And I often catch the largest trout of my year on this, my first significant fishing adventure of the year. While I have occasionally caught fish on dry fly here, I typically fish midge (chironomid) fly patterns under a float; over the years, I’ve gotten better at this approach. And last year, I was preparing to head here for spring break when the COVID-19 travel ban blocked my access. So, with travel freer this year, I was excited to fish here again.

Okay, the geology of the place is cool,
NorthWall9301trim.jpg

but I’m here to fish. This can be a quirky lake early in the season. The fish might be hugging the bottom in 20-30’ of water or they can come up onto the shallow flats to feed on hatching midges. Based on my experience on previous visits, I had an idea of where to fish and which flies to use. And that was what happened. I caught 5 – 8 fish in the 14 – 24” range each day. These fish fought hard and made multiple runs. But in the end, they were swept up into my net to have the fly removed, perhaps a commemorative picture or two, and then revived to go back about their business. As expected, they were happy to grab size 18 midge fly or a size 14 snowcone fly (also a midge imitation).
MeFightingRainbow4bTrim.jpg
Rainbow1bP3300062Trim.jpg
Rainbow1cP3310139Trim.jpg
Rainbow4dP3300106Trim.jpg
BobWGreatFishP3300082Trim.jpg
Now, “Arid Cataract Lake” is a great place for wildlife, especially birds. Peregrine and prairie falcons use the cliffs as perches between attacks on the waterfowl of the lake. Family groups of ravens call out. The haunting song of canyon wrens echo in the basin. Goldeneyes, coots, and ring-necked ducks dive in the lake itself. And red-winged blackbirds call and chase each other along the shore. [When it warms up a bit more, painted turtles bask along the margins of the lake.]

On the second day, I was happy with seven nice fish. My friend had a slower day and wanted to fish a bit longer. So while he was still fishing, I explored the hillsides for more spring flowers. I was rewarded with Jeffries shooting stars, sagebrush buttercups, and prairie star flower.
JeffriesShootingStar_3310211Trim.jpg
PrairieStarFlower_3310220Trim.jpg

Steve

Attachments

• NorthWall9301trim.jpg
    NorthWall9301trim.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 45
  • ThetaVR0011630.JPG
    ThetaVR0011630.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 49

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
There is a nearby camping area that is convenient. It is on a major flyway and Vs of Canadian geese and sandhill cranes flew overhead on their migration north. When the wind wasn’t roaring, the silence of the night was broken by the distant hooting of owls in the trees and the yipping and howling of coyote packs as they roamed around the valley.

As the sun came up over the basalt cliffs, the day crew became more active.
BluffsEveningLight9350Trim.jpg

The deep croaks of ravens echoed off the cliff walls. Cock pheasants crowed from deep cover. We could also hear the distinctive “Chi-ca-go” calls of California quail. Most mornings a large covey of California quail fed on new grass shoots from the lawn of the campground. They were mostly wary, and would scoot away on their short legs if they felt that I approached too close. But I found a cooperative pair that posed for several pictures.
CaQuailCock9188Triim.jpg
CaQuailHenCock9162Trim.jpg

I thought that I had heard the distinctive gobbling of turkeys in the morning chorus. And I confirmed the presence of a flock of turkeys the second morning that were foraging in the tall grass of a closed area. On the fourth morning, the flock of approximately 30 birds had moved into the campground and were feeding on grass shoots. In the mix were several toms who were displaying competitively to catch the attention of the hens.
DisplayingTurkeys9305Trim.jpg
TurkeyTom9209Trim.jpg

A nearby pond had ring-necked ducks and buffleheads. They still appeared to be a bit gun-shy even several months after the end of the hunting season. But a nearsighted muskrat practically waddled into my lap as it plowed its way up the bank.
Muskrat9371Trim.jpg

The slope leading down to the state park from the highway was progressively painted more and more yellow as the week progressed as the arrowleaf balsamroot plants opened their large yellow sunflowers.
BalsamrootP3290035Trim.jpg
BalsamrootP3290036Trim.jpg
Scattered among them were flowers of spreading phlox.
SpreadingPhloxP3290039Trim.jpg

Back around the campground, big sagebrush, Artemesia tridentata, were pushing out new, fragrant leaves. Many of the plants has fuzzy structures attached and I wasn’t sure what they were. When I looked into this further, they are the galls of a gall midges. The larvae of the midge produce hormones that trigger the plant to grow these structures around the larvae. The larvae eat the plant tissue and are protected (mostly) within the gall.

YoungSageLeaves_3310257Trim.jpg
Steve

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
As always, thank you Cabezon for these comprehensive gems. I appreciate the time and effort you put in to your reports, and also for being able to answer the most difficult questions regarding IDs.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Great report and pictures.
If I’m thinking correctly, this may be the place where I fished next to you one day about maybe 15 years ago during a Callibaetis hatch and didn’t know it was you.
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Great report and pictures.
If I’m thinking correctly, this may be the place where I fished next to you one day about maybe 15 years ago during a Callibaetis hatch and didn’t know it was you.
SF
Hi SF,
Could be. I was more incognito then, witness protection program, you know... The lake does have a nice, but sporadic Callibaetis hatch, typically more in mid-late April. The flies are VERY light in color. I have had to develop a cream version of my usual speckled parachute pattern for that hatch. When it works, it is a blast.
I am always HAPPY to meet (sometimes, remeet) fellow fly fishers. You might find me back in a few weeks...
Steve

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi SF,
Could be. I was more incognito then, witness protection program, you know... The lake does have a nice, but sporadic Callibaetis hatch, typically more in mid-late April. The flies are VERY light in color. I have had to develop a cream version of my usual speckled parachute pattern for that hatch. When it works, it is a blast.
I am always HAPPY to meet (sometimes, remeet) fellow fly fishers. You might find me back in a few weeks...
Steve
It's been years but I used to have good luck with PMD patterns for those.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great report and pics! Love the wildlife and wild flowers to be had in that area. As you likely know, make sure ALL your food is put away, even the stuff you might have in the zippered bags on the pontoon. The raccoons can open zippers. And, they have been know to cart small coolers off into the sage.....

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Another stellar report, Steve ! Love the details of all the flora and fauna covered. One special place where I spent a good part of the late 80's skipping classes in college and heading out for an afternoon and evening- sitting in awe of the spectacle of that part of the state.

Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Love your report. We enjoy camping over there. One of my favorite areas…. Especially the migration flyway of the geese.