NFR Apple satellite SOS....is it for real?

Non-fishing related

Kado

Steelhead
I'm going to finally have to ditch my old iphone 7 for a new model. Has anyone had experience or have any thoughts on whether the Apple satellite SOS feature is really useful for us as flyfisher people? I do spend quite a bit of time out of cell coverage. Currently have a Garmen Inreach...but it's the big model and sort of a pain to carry around.
Thanks,
Mark

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I was wondering the same thing. I finally upgraded my iphone 8 to a 15 today. I had to order it so I don’t have it hand yet. I’m guess I’ll find out how it works

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
From what I've read, the Garmin Inreach in combination with an iphone is the best. The combo allows you to not only send a distress signal, it allows you to directly communicate with Inreach HQ or a spouse or whomever you want to contact by text message. If you need help but don't need a medical helicopter evac, that will save you around $40,000. The iphone 15 only sends the distress signal if you don't have cell service, which is typical in a back country location. Push that distress button without additional information and they send the cavalry, meaning medical helicopter evac and a ginormous bill.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
it is a real thing. But as far as I know, it’s just for emergencies. Like, “I need rescue”. Not like “we’re gonna be late because we got a flat”

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
From what I've read, the Garmin Inreach in combination with an iphone is the best. The combo allows you to not only send a distress signal, it allows you to directly communicate with Inreach HQ or a spouse or whomever you want to contact by text message. If you need help but don't need a medical helicopter evac, that will save you around $40,000. The iphone 15 only sends the distress signal if you don't have cell service, which is typical in a back country location. Push that distress button without additional information and they send the cavalry, meaning medical helicopter evac and a ginormous bill.
Thats why everyone should have Life flight...... $75 a year

https://www.lifeflight.org/

Kado

Steelhead
My wife pointed out to me that I’m so boneheaded that my balls would have to be pretty tight in the ringer before I’d finally admit I needed help. I wonder if my Global rescue plan works for locally…..

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Having life flight is a must out here, nobody plans on using it, but most have it.
I do know of folks who have been flown out twice in a year however.

• Wow
Reactions: RCF

RCF

Life of the Party
Having life flight is a must out here, nobody plans on using it, but most have it.
I do know of folks who have been flown out twice in a year however.
My wife would make sure I found a different hobby (or a different wife)...

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Years before all this, we were just more careful in the woods, mountains. Took care of ourselves, our friends with us. Knew, understood the risks and accepted that life is dangerous and we might die. Rode horses many miles in the wilderness knowing one freak accident could disable us, but trained for it.
Now people go unprepared and expect someone to bail them out at times. They should be charged the cost when that happens.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
My wife would make sure I found a different hobby (or a different wife)...
Lifeflight is not just for trauma injury... stroke, heart attack etc. are far more common fly outs than accident trauma. I know several heart attack folks who were flown to Harborview, and survived, and a couple that did not unfortunately.
The hospitals out here, while capable for a lot of things, have the option to call for a flight when it gets above their pay grade.

For which we are grateful.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Imagine all the explorers of the world sailing the Seas looking for new land or Lewis and Clark traveling across this great country.
We can't go anywhere, we need satellite imaging and weather reports and devices that will protect us from ourselves.

David

Smolt
This explains it all pretty well:

Good reminder. I totally forgot that the newer iPhone has the satellite SOS feature. I have an older ACR ResQLink for this purpose but have stopped carrying it 'cuz it's due for some kind of service.

Reading about all the functionality on the iPhone SOS mechanism makes me wonder why they haven't gone the extra 30 feet to add an "I'm OK" message. Even a single canned message. I'm guessing they've got some agreement with Garmin/etc to not do so. Because if and when they do add that, it's probably lights out for a lot of those extra devices...

G_Smolt

Legend
I wouldn't kid yourself there - if there was money in it, Apple would be the first to trample all over someone to get it. They probably ran a P/L and figured the liability issues alone aren't worth it.

David

Smolt
I wouldn't kid yourself there - if there was money in it, Apple would be the first to trample all over someone to get it. They probably ran a P/L and figured the liability issues alone aren't worth it.

No doubt! Apple has a long history of moving their fat ass onto others' territory. But, seems like there'd be less lawsuit potential in non-critical satellite messaging than the SOS stuff they're already offering. Gotta be a matter of time before their ass is moved onto that turf.