Anyone use the Fishpond Thunderhead Hip Pack?

runejl

Freshly Spawned
Hi-

Just wondering if any of you all have used the Fishpond Thunderhead Hip pack, and if so curious of your thoughts on it?

I have used a number of different slings packs and find myself always just taking them off and leaving them on the bank while I fish. The one hip pack that I used in the past didn't have a shoulder strap and would always sag so it got the same treatment as the sling packs.

Thanks for any advice,
Josh

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Hi-

Just wondering if any of you all have used the Fishpond Thunderhead Hip pack, and if so curious of your thoughts on it?

I have used a number of different slings packs and find myself always just taking them off and leaving them on the bank while I fish. The one hip pack that I used in the past didn't have a shoulder strap and would always sag so it got the same treatment as the sling packs.

Thanks for any advice,
Josh
I found the thunderhead a bit too much for my liking, too bulky. I have the switch back pro which I really like. I also will vouch for the quality of fishpond products and their customer service.

cedarslug

Steelhead
I haven't used the Thunderhead hip pack, but I do have a Patagonia submersible hip pack. If you haven't used or handled a submersible pack before, just a heads up, those waterproof zippers can be tricky to open one handed.

I do have a Fishpond Waterdance hip pack and like it a lot. It has a shoulder strap for support, and doesn't feel too bulky. The zippers are easier to pull one handed, however, it isn't waterproof.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another non-direct comparison, but I also have a Patagucci waterproof hip pack. It's comfortable enough with the shoulder strap. The main zipper is a bit a of a chore to open and close, even if you keep it lubed. The Thunderhead's main zipepr is a different design, so maybe it's easier. One issue I have with all waterproof slings and hip packs is the lack of organization in them. The Patagonia has one big main pocket, and then a very small zippered pocket on the front (maybe the Thunderhead is different, but it's had to tell from the pictures. It looks very similar).

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
They make a smaller one now that I wish I had instead, but it’s nice—just a little bulky.

Wish it had internal dividers.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Josh,

I’ve had a Simms waterproof and now have the Thunderhead hip. Honestly despite it being a little bulkier I like it more than the Simms due to I can pack a lot more, extra water, pbj, sunscreen can. I use it primarily for flats fishing. Good luck!

runejl

Freshly Spawned
I bought the small version a few weeks ago and have been pleased with it so far. It wont fit a ton of gear, but it will fit enough. It rides on my hip without slipping down thanks to the additional sling strap. Comfortable and easy to use.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They make a smaller one now that I wish I had instead, but it’s nice—just a little bulky.

Wish it had internal dividers.
They sell divider inserts for those. I bought their sling pack and will probably spring for the divider at some point.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use one and love it but I would agree with Jake, the smaller one makes more sense and is great. We have the smaller ones in the shop and I have been itching to pull one out of inventory. If I was to recommend one it would be the smaller size!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't used the FP hip sack, but I have a small FP Thunderhead shoulder bag (that could be used as a chest pack if I had a FP brand backpack). It is a great little piece of gear, waterproof as long as I remember to close the zipper, and just the right size for a few hours on the beach.