Anyone grow their own bait?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I've got quite the meal worm colony going. I'm up to 5 bussing trays of larva now. Here's a few.
0223222154.jpg

Here's the beetle tray. Every 2 weeks the beetles get sifted out of the egg laden substrate and added to a new tray of substrate to lay more eggs. If you want to maintain your numbers you hold back 5-10% of each tray of larva to pupate and make new beetles.

0121221029.jpg

They eat wheat bran which is 14$ for a 40lb sack. Heat treat or freeze to kill grain mite eggs.

I'm looking forward to using some for panfish in the spring. The majority are going to be chicken/ wild bird and bearded dragon food.

Anyone have any favorite ways or tips to fish these guys?

Wolverine

Smolt
I’ve used meal worms, mousies, and corn bores a lot for ice fishing. I’ve kept them in the small garage beer fridge between trips as momma’s not happy if she opens the big fridges and bugs come flying out.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Have never tried them. Let us know how it goes. My kids have a few reptiles, so we grow some other stuff, but not mealworms.

I've tried raising earthworms and nightcrawlers, but despite all the work, just didn't produce like I wanted. Was better off just collecting them at night from the yard or buying them before heading out with the kids.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When I lived in Atlanta I used to fish the ‘Hooch year-round. Trout in cool months, bass and sunnies when warm. One summer I had the thought that the mealworms I fed my pet turtle would make fishing even faster action. Turned out flies drew strikes as well or better as mealworms and with flies I didn’t have to re-bait the hook between fish.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve tied flys out of feathers from my own hens. Found that cutthroats liked Rhode Island Red patterns.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I’ve tied flys out of feathers from my own hens. Found that cutthroats liked Rhode Island Red patterns.
My silkworm gut thread is morphing into build a fly with all materials you grew/harvested/made by hand. I harvested some hackle and wing slips from a rooster we had that died a while ago. I'm also getting 6 ducks next week to butcher that someone doesn't want anymore, so white duck wing quills will come in handy maybe some cdc.