Anybody fishing furled leaders ?

I mentioned this on another forum, so forgive me if I repeat myself.

I used Cutthroat furled leaders, and liked them. But one day, while listening to the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast, with Tom Rosenbauer, he was answering listener questions. A listener wrote in asking what Tom thought of furled leaders. He said he'd never used them and never fished with anybody who used them, so he wasn't qualified to answer. Now, he's fished with a lot of famous fly fishers, and if none of those folks used furled leaders, I figured there must be something to it. He may have just been playing coy, and wanted to avoid criticizing them, but it's obvious he doesn't use them.
There are plenty of legendary fisherman from pnwff that know more. Here is the lowdown. Ferrell or braided leaders are loop to loop, just add tippet, no memory when left on reel, can attach and adjust indicators easy with no kinking, punch and throw tight casts, last years. I can never figure why others pros use leaders that age, kink, and become shorter and thicker after fly changing. Cowlitz Bottomfeader found a Monlit brand that is cloning Cutthroat. I like the length of Cutthroat. As mentioned, for salmon I make my own with 15-20 Cortland.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, CK; I'm just repeating what a world-famous fly fisherman who has fished with the best said.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
well, that took a turn...

Personally, I played around with them a number of years ago (I'm guessing 15ish?) and off and on since then. Personally, I really like how well they turn over. It's definitely a little easier, but in all honesty it ultimately never was something that was a game changer. I've never really had issues with turning over flies of any size though, so there really was never much of a benefit...at least for me. YMMV.

But, Cutthroat leaders were always the best made and best performing.

🍻

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I keep my sarcasm pretty much limited to the football thread...Donkeys, Rams and 9ers types being my favorites.
😁
But I will consider weighing in on this subject, depending on how the thread moves along, and if Travers shows up.
😆

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I keep my sarcasm pretty much limited to the football thread...Donkeys, Rams and 9ers types being my favorites.
😁
But I will consider weighing in on this subject, depending on how the thread moves along, and if Travers shows up.
😆
shoot your shot.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
😁
😆

You left out your man-crush. @Rob Allen.

Cliff

Steelhead
I uses Cutthroat furled leaders on almost all of my bamboo/silk line fishing, usually for dries. I like them. Sorry to hear about Blue Sky. They made good ones, also.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I've used furled leaders on 9 and 10 weights fishing saltwater flats (never tried freshwater furled leaders). They give some protection from breaking off big, fast fish in areas with coral heads and other hazards. Big bonefish, triggerfish, permit, golden trevally, milkfish, bumphead parrotfish, etc. They are easy to cast and give plenty of flex in the leader when a good fish is pulling away fast.

I have used them to no noticeable effect on my catch ratio*, mostly on stillwater and nymphing situations but also on a 7 1/2 ft 3 wt fishing drys. Greatly prefer the ones that come with a small tippet ring pre-attached.

*Yeah, right...zero is still zero. That's so funny I forgot to laugh.😁

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I use furled leaders. I bought most of them from Bjorn (The Fly Fisher in Lacey (now closed)) and one or two came from Feather-Craft (which are made by Bjorn). I like them for the ease of use of just needing to add tippet.