Anybody fishing furled leaders ?

G_Smolt

Legend
I tinkered around with some 10 and 12 ft furled leaders whilst dry-line spraypoling with long spraystrings years ago but went back to hard mono leaders on those setups. I liked the "stickiness" of the furlies for touch n' go casting, but a distinct downside is the lack of stiffness which makes turnover at distance possible.
I'm sure there are situations where furled leaders excel, tho.

Zoran

Steelhead
I have few but for light trout. Not for a big fish. I wanted to try them on my light rods. Very soft. Once I wanted to make my own from hose hairs (ebay). There is a formula somewhere on internet. It is very traditional to Japan.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I use a couple. Both are made by Bjorn of the old, now defunct, Flyfisher shop. Both are intermediate sink 5 footers. A heavyweight for my 11ft beach rod and a microlight for my 7-1/2ft, 4#. Being only 5ft long, they have a heavy taper that really turns over easily. Good for both bombed out beach casts and slow delicate casts. I think short polyleaders do the same job tho. I stretch the furled leader and it lays straight, no memory. The tippet ring is a nice touch..

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
I use a couple. Both are made by Bjorn of the old, now defunct, Flyfisher shop. Both are intermediate sink 5 footers. A heavyweight for my 11ft beach rod and a microlight for my 7-1/2ft, 4#. Being only 5ft long, they have a heavy taper that really turns over easily. Good for both bombed out beach casts and slow delicate casts. I think short polyleaders do the same job tho. I stretch the furled leader and it lays straight, no memory. The tippet ring is a nice touch..
Did Bjorn close his shop?

I have used his furled leaders off and on for years, depending on what I am fishing for. I use his big game leader for tiger muskies when I fished for them.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I currently have one on my 3wt but don’t love it. I found it sank to quickly even with flotant. However, it casts really nicely so I’m going to give it another go.

I think it’s a 5’ leader and I add 2’ of tipper for a 6’ 8” 3wt

Picked a couple up to try out ... Never fished em before. likes, dislikes?
Grew up using the Orvis braided tapered, then no more. Found Cutthroat Leaders in ID and problem solved. Not made from mono stiff. I tie my own for salmon made from 20lb Cortland spool of 100'. Just knot your own loop to loops. Found an expensive small needle to make loops but super hard to do, no need. Make 7'. Also, mono stiff ferrell bad on tips.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I mentioned this on another forum, so forgive me if I repeat myself.

I used Cutthroat furled leaders, and liked them. But one day, while listening to the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast, with Tom Rosenbauer, he was answering listener questions. A listener wrote in asking what Tom thought of furled leaders. He said he'd never used them and never fished with anybody who used them, so he wasn't qualified to answer. Now, he's fished with a lot of famous fly fishers, and if none of those folks used furled leaders, I figured there must be something to it. He may have just been playing coy, and wanted to avoid criticizing them, but it's obvious he doesn't use them.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I sometimes use furled leaders and I like the simplicity of just adding some tippet to the tippet ring.

But mostly I use store-bought tapered leaders, modified with dropper tags and extra tippet. That's harder for me to do with a furled leader.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I used to use the Cutthroat leaders and really liked them for dry fly fishing. I just don't fish that way much any more and most of my leaders these days are far more basic.

I think it was through Cutthroat, but I had bought some that were made out of PowerPro. Those cast very well and I never had to treat them....not totally sure that they were through Cutthroat though.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I am a big fan of furled leaders. I use them almost exclusively now. I used to buy them from Blue Sky, but the owner became ill and the business closed. I now buy the leaders from Barrio in Scotland (of all places!). Their quality is excellent, and the free air shipping is surprisingly fast. Plus, they are much cheaper than any sold by a US dealer. They also sell a co-polymer tippet which, in my humble opinion, is superior to fluoro
Here is the link:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I am a big fan of furled leaders. I use them almost exclusively now. I used to buy them from Blue Sky, but the owner became ill and the business closed. I now buy the leaders from Barrio in Scotland (of all places!). Their quality is excellent, and the free air shipping is surprisingly fast. Plus, they are much cheaper than any sold by a US dealer. They also sell a co-polymer tippet which, in my humble opinion, is superior to fluoro
Here is the link:

Curious about trying the barrio ones. They’re mono whereas the one I currently have is thread

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Yes I do. Love'em. They turn over flies nicely either for sinkers or dry lines. I gotta find a new source now that Bjorn is out of business. I'll miss him.

JB20

Just Hatched
Picked a couple up to try out ... Never fished em before. likes, dislikes?
I grew up fishing small streams in the sierras, and furled leaders were very popular for fishing true high mountain pocket water. The kind where you’re never getting much more than a six inch drift and just dabbing dries on the surface behind rocks. They’re great in that situation, the extra weight compensates for how little line you’re working with. They last a while, too, you can fish one or two all summer season and essentially never replace more than your tippet. But I haven’t used them a ton in Oregon, I prefer a standard leader if I’m casting any distance at all and on most streams I fish it’s nice to have that flexibility. Still, I always keep one or two in my pack in case the right situation presents itself. Never a bad thing to have another tool in the box!

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
Reading about them here, researching online makes me curious of them now.
most beneficial for one type of water Or?