Any SUP boarders in here that fish?

Tubbster

Steelhead
At home on quarantine day 4 has been a YouTube day. I’ve always wanted to own a paddle board ever since I paddled the Hanalei river in Kauai. Wasn’t easy but I really enjoyed it. I know SUP is popular here and was just wondering if anyone fishes the sound on one in the shallows or inlets?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
There was a guy on the old west fly forum that used to. If I remember correctly he caught a tiger musky on it? I could be remembering wrong though.

DKL

Steelhead
I got one last year to fish with but haven't really done it yet. Went out once and the weather wasn't great and I got blown all over the place. I do hope to dial it in at some point. The disappointing thing for me is that the weight of the board itself is quite high, even though it is an inflatable. So it isn't quite as convenient as I imagined. I did go with a pretty big one though so I can take my dog with me.

Attachments

• 3839F457-0377-45EE-8607-8F395527725A_1_105_c.jpeg
    3839F457-0377-45EE-8607-8F395527725A_1_105_c.jpeg
    814.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Tubbster

Steelhead
I got one last year to fish with but haven't really done it yet. Went out once and the weather wasn't great and I got blown all over the place. I do hope to dial it in at some point. The disappointing thing for me is that the weight of the board itself is quite high, even though it is an inflatable. So it isn't quite as convenient as I imagined. I did go with a pretty big one though so I can take me dog with me.
I’m toying with either a hard one or inflatable. Being a big guy I think the hard one would be the ticket for me. They do sell wheels for them like the kayaks.

Bagman

Steelhead
I got one last year to fish with but haven't really done it yet. Went out once and the weather wasn't great and I got blown all over the place. I do hope to dial it in at some point. The disappointing thing for me is that the weight of the board itself is quite high, even though it is an inflatable. So it isn't quite as convenient as I imagined. I did go with a pretty big one though so I can take me dog with me.
Man that thing needs running lights.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
There was a guy on the old west fly forum that used to. If I remember correctly he caught a tiger musky on it? I could be remembering wrong though.
Yep. He still does.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I’ve not done it around here but have in a lake out east. Fly fishing from an SUP is a blast, until there’s any wind at all.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
you are remembering right. He's a buddy of mine who I blame for making me go down that rabbit hole of tiger muskies. He still get's after them on his SUP.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Never used one but it seems like in the salt at least where I like to fish it would be difficult to fish and stay in the zone at the same time, especially when the tide is really moving.
I do see a ton of people using them for recreational use, including one guy I saw multiple times this winter with board shorts on and no shirt. 🥶
SF

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I found it really hard. Being able to hold a fly rod and paddle around to stay in one spot because of the wind is a difficult task lol. Just go when it's a calm day, with no wind, and it can be a ton of fun.

Tubbster

Steelhead
Never used one but it seems like in the salt at least where I like to fish it would be difficult to fish and stay in the zone at the same time, especially when the tide is really moving.
I do see a ton of people using them for recreational use, including one guy I saw multiple times this winter with board shorts on and no shirt. 🥶
SF
People are hardcore. I saw a video of some boarders that go out as soon as the ice is broken up enough in the salt. I mean they were wearing wetsuits but still that’s cold! Doubtful they fell in anyways

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If you're fishing from one, much like fishing from a kayak, both an anchor and a drift sock are your friend.

rooftop

Smolt
I tried to chase Roosterfish in Baja this winter on a SUP and it was a pain. You have to be mobile and keep line out and not disturb the fish. It was a freakin' waste of time but really great exercise. Just as soon as you'd get near the spot with action, stand back up, get your line in the air, the fish had moved on.

Bagman

Steelhead
A good friend was out on a 12 foot surfboard, I the bay off Pleasure Point, in Santa Cruz, fishing gear and a live anchovy he was setting down on the board when his line start to run out he set the hook and his trouble started. He had hooked a 6 foot blue shark and just trying to stay on the board while fight a 6 foot Blue shark, scared the crap out of him. He told me he had thoughts of getting pulled off the board and loosing all his gear or cutting his line, which is what he ended up doing. I’m not saying this would happen in the sound but a 30lb king could really give you a run for your money.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
People are hardcore. I saw a video of some boarders that go out as soon as the ice is broken up enough in the salt. I mean they were wearing wetsuits but still that’s cold! Doubtful they fell in anyways
Drysuit FTW. A lot more comfortable than a wetsuit. If there's open water you can SUP fish year round in the PNW. I like the air temp to be above 32°. I hate dealing with frozen guides.