NFR Any Sounders fans out there?

Non-fishing related

t_law

Steelhead
CCL is a bore until maybe the final, and even then only interesting if the Sounders are in it. But nice to see everyone healthy, hopefully it stays that way throughout the season.

Last edited:

t_law

Steelhead
Watch premier league and then watch MLS.

Its tough to watch MLS knowing how shitty they are by comparison.
:rolleyes:
Shitty compared to what? Man City, Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea etc..? Try not to state the obvious, and put things in perspective. If you take the current Sounders team and put them in the Premier League I'd be willing to bet they'd do ok. Would they win the league? No. But they wouldn't be at the bottom of the table either fighting relegation IMHO.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shitty compared to what? Man City, Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea etc..? Try not to state the obvious, and put things in perspective. If you take the current Sounders team and put them in the Premier League I'd be willing to bet they'd do ok. Would they win the league? No. But they wouldn't be at the bottom of the table either fighting relegation IMHO.
We have our opinions.

I think they would be shut out more than they would win.

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I agree with this. It's also super hard to compare them given that they never play each other.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I hate defensive set ups that are seen in today’s game.

Attack, attack, attack… dammit…!!!

Played, coached, ref’d, and devoted my life to the game (outdoors and indoors) for 30 yrs. Hung the boots up at 40.
It was a great run. 😁

Ps: loved the German, Italian, and English styles of play during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Last edited:

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I hate defensive set ups that are seen in today’s game.

Attack, attack, attack… dammit…!!!

Played, coached, ref’d, and devoted my life to the game (outdoors and indoors) for 30 yrs. Hung the boots up at 40.
It was a great run. 😁

Ps: loved the German, Italian, and English styles of play during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Awesome!

Smalma

Life of the Party
Became a soccer fan while living in Brazil cica 1970. Had the chance to watch a pretty fair player by the name of Pele in person a couple time and watched a country go mad as it won the World Cup! It was hard not to be a fan of the beautiful game that the Brazilian played!

Was a season ticket holder (4 tickets) for the first few seasons when Sounders joined the MLS. In recent years as fan support and budgets (salaries and facilities) have increased the quality of soccer has improved and the gap between MLS and the best leagues is closing though remains significant. In comparing MLS soccer with the top leagues something to consider is the differences in player salaries. For example, the 30 highest paid players in the premier league are making more than the entire MLS team salary cap.

Scarfs up!

curt

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just did a preseason preview of the MLS for a website for which I am their soccer analysis. Here's a few tidbits of information in regards to the MLS.

1. MLS has the third highest attendance/game of US sports behind only the NFL and MLB.
2. MLS is the biggest first division league in the world. Now sure some of that is because we don't have promotion/relegation but still.
3. Depending on the source you want to use MLS is ranked somewhere around 15th in the world.

Now as to how would MLS teams do in the EPL. Hate to burst your bubble t law but the Sounders would absolutely flounder in the EPL. According to the Football League Rankings by 538 the worst team in the EPL is Norwich with an overall strength rating of 54.1. The top rated MLS team is NYCFC with a rating of 53.9. The Sounders were rated at 48.6.

This is NOT a slam on the MLS. It is a fine league, entertaining, and getting better all the time. What they are getting really good at is developing young players and selling them on to Europe. Ricardo Pepi, developed through the FC Dallas academy just went to the Bundesliga for $20M. There is nothing wrong with the MLS being a stepping stone league for the big leagues in Europe. Its especially good long term for the USMNT!!

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Just did a preseason preview of the MLS for a website for which I am their soccer analysis. Here's a few tidbits of information in regards to the MLS.

1. MLS has the third highest attendance/game of US sports behind only the NFL and MLB.
2. MLS is the biggest first division league in the world. Now sure some of that is because we don't have promotion/relegation but still.
3. Depending on the source you want to use MLS is ranked somewhere around 15th in the world.

Now as to how would MLS teams do in the EPL. Hate to burst your bubble t law but the Sounders would absolutely flounder in the EPL. According to the Football League Rankings by 538 the worst team in the EPL is Norwich with an overall strength rating of 54.1. The top rated MLS team is NYCFC with a rating of 53.9. The Sounders were rated at 48.6.

This is NOT a slam on the MLS. It is a fine league, entertaining, and getting better all the time. What they are getting really good at is developing young players and selling them on to Europe. Ricardo Pepi, developed through the FC Dallas academy just went to the Bundesliga for $20M. There is nothing wrong with the MLS being a stepping stone league for the big leagues in Europe. Its especially good long term for the USMNT!!
That's really cool. Could you send a link to the website if it's something public?

t_law

Steelhead
Lol....this isn't baseball. Statistical analysis in soccer, outside of maybe a few categories, is completely useless. Have you seen Norwich actually play? It's painful to watch. Now having played soccer for a D1 school and professionally in Europe and in the MLS, I'm sticking to my original statement that the Sounders would do ok in the Premier League. Certainly no worse than Norwich.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lol....this isn't baseball. Statistical analysis in soccer, outside of maybe a few categories, is completely useless. Have you seen Norwich actually play? It's painful to watch. Now having played soccer for a D1 school and professionally in Europe and in the MLS, I'm sticking to my original statement that the Sounders would do ok in the Premier League. Certainly no worse than Norwich.
I agree that the Sounders would be no worse than Norwich. Which means they would be fighting relegation. As for ok in the EPL? We'll just agree to disagree.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't bring up ratings and rankings....it upsets the homers.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't be upset when others provide feedback(ratings and rankings) and they don't align with your assessment.

Those who want to compare MLS or the Sounders to top leagues in Europe as an excuse to not support American professional soccer simply tells me that either 1) you are from Europe and have a legacy team that you support, or 2) you're not really in to soccer. As an old rock n roll song once said: "Love the one you're with." If you are a soccer fan in Seattle it's easy to be a fan of the Sounders and proud of the legacy they have built here over the years, regardless of how they would stack up in the EPL or any other league.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Love soccer/football. I unfortunately wasn't built for it, just American football. Always loved watching it. As a kid I remember PBS playing Bundesliga. Got to watch a lot of BL football when i was an exchange student in Germany. Watched the old Sounders when I was able (mid 1970s) and now watch them. Was there when they won the MLS cup in Seattle.
FB_IMG_1574308215961.jpg

This was the moment the match was called and we won the MLS Cup

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Love soccer/football. I unfortunately wasn't built for it, just American football. Always loved watching it. As a kid I remember PBS playing Bundesliga. Got to watch a lot of BL football when i was an exchange student in Germany. Watched the old Sounders when I was able (mid 1970s) and now watch them. Was there when they won the MLS cup in Seattle

This was the moment the match was called and we won the MLS Cup
Saturday’s at noon, ya didn’t bother me…
PBS/Soccer Made in Germany and Toby Charles… 😁