Any input on this baby?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
You wind the spring by turning the gnarled brass looking rim if it will turn. Looks like there might be more than a bit of corrosion.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
It also should wind the spring when you strip line off the reel. At least an old Perrine that I inherited functioned that way.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah-I got input! The first fish I ever caught on a fly on July 28, 1951 was on that exact same reel. Same color exactly. It was a heavy assed reel and clamped to my tubular steel fly rod it was a setup that many modern anglers would whine about. But a skinny 13 year old kid wasn't concerned about swing weight, rod balance or any of the trivial crap that puts knots in knickers nowadays. Great to see that reel, wish I still had one like it.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah-I got input! The first fish I ever caught on a fly on July 28, 1951 was on that exact same reel. Same color exactly. It was a heavy assed reel and clamped to my tubular steel fly rod it was a setup that many modern anglers would whine about. But a skinny 13 year old kid wasn't concerned about swing weight, rod balance or any of the trivial crap that puts knots in knickers nowadays. Great to see that reel, wish I still had one like it.
Want it? I’ll send it over

Smalma

Life of the Party
I too caught my first fly caught fish on a similar south bend though a bit later than ievofione; my was in 1956. My dad had bought the reel just before WWII I believe.

Curt

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
My FIL who had Rheumatoid Arthritis gave me two of them, functioning, one with the original box and instructions. They looked very good with silk lines on them. I kept the lines but tried to donate the reels to Project Healing Waters through Jerry but he apparently didn't want them. So I donated them to WA Council-FFI for a banquet auction and they were able to make a few bucks off them.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My FIL who had Rheumatoid Arthritis gave me two of them, functioning, one with the original box and instructions. They looked very good with silk lines on them. I kept the lines but tried to donate the reels to Project Healing Waters through Jerry but he apparently didn't want them. So I donated them to WA Council-FFI for a banquet auction and they were able to make a few bucks off them.
Good call Brian. Better to give that reel to a museum or auction than send it to me. That would be giving one fossil to another one!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Good call Brian. Better to give that reel to a museum or auction than send it to me. That would be giving one fossil to another one!
My FIL's hands were deformed by RA and he'd used the "automatic reels" that took up line at the flip of the lever without having to reel. *It was actually Mrs Brian who thought two wounded warriors might get some good practical use out of them, but I guess not. So someone got two museum pieces and the money went to a good cause.

Last edited:

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A moment to ponder. My dad was born in 1912 and fished for about 80 years, living through the bamboo rod and automatic reel era. He always referenced the reels as, “automatic rod shorteners.”

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
One of my early fly fishing heros, Bing Lempke of Idaho Falls, used an automatic reel with great prowess to "rope" the oversized rainbows of the Henry's Fork back in the day.binglempke.jpg
I believe the reel he used was a Perrine. I learned a lot about presentation on the waters of the "Ranch" just by observing Bing. He was also one of the first tyers to incorporate extended bodies into his dry fly creations. A true legend of the Henry's Fork.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One of my early fly fishing heros, Bing Lempke of Idaho Falls, used an automatic reel with great prowess to "rope" the oversized rainbows of the Henry's Fork back in the day.View attachment 56105
I believe the reel he used was a Perrine. I learned a lot about presentation on the waters of the "Ranch" just by observing Bing. He was also one of the first tyers to incorporate extended bodies into his dry fly creations. A true legend of the Henry's Fork.

I was around a couple gentlemen a few years ago on the Madison , and one had one of those fly boxes hanging off his chest . I asked him about them , it was quite something . Obviously not made anymore , can't remember how old it was . I believe he said he got it from his father .

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Still have my Dad's identical reel.