Any beekeepers here?

Adrian M

Steelhead
I have some backyard hobby bees. I went through Crown Bees based out of Woodinville. These are solitary bees (Leafcutter or Mason) vs hive type bees (European Honey Bee). Solitary bees as best for pollination if that is what you're looking to get into. Great way to get into bees. They are non-stinging for the most part, unless you try to get stung.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I have 3 hives this year on Whidbey Island. Snohomish Bee Company is a good source of information and equipment in your area.
How did they do over the winter? Seems the past 2 winters were particularly hard on hives and lots of folks lost all or a good chunk of their colonies.

Snoho Bee Company - apparently they are under new ownership, so I've heard. New owners aren't really experienced keepers. Just like the business I guess. They sell California packages and don't do their own nucs, queens, etc.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I have some backyard hobby bees. I went through Crown Bees based out of Woodinville. These are solitary bees (Leafcutter or Mason) vs hive type bees (European Honey Bee). Solitary bees as best for pollination if that is what you're looking to get into. Great way to get into bees. They are non-stinging for the most part, unless you try to get stung.
We are going straight into honey bees. My girls have never been afraid of bees. They often pick up bees and hold them. I think they will be naturals around bees.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Honeybees are awesome. I used to be terrified of stinging insects (still hate on hornets), and my wife had hives when I first met them We wintered bees right in West Seattle for a few years and moved them out to her parent’s place in the country for the summer. It can be a lot of work, but is fascinating. We finally stopped after losing too many to die off.

Theron

Keeper of the bees
How did they do over the winter? Seems the past 2 winters were particularly hard on hives and lots of folks lost all or a good chunk of their colonies.

Snoho Bee Company - apparently they are under new ownership, so I've heard. New owners aren't really experienced keepers. Just like the business I guess. They sell California packages and don't do their own nucs, queens, etc.
It was tough winter. I lost 2 colonies in January. I replaced them with Nucs from Stanwood Bee Company. They are doing well as of today.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Some local areas have bee clubs. Definitely a good way to go as they offer beginning classes and expert support. Can't impress on you how important it is to have a mentor. There's a lot to learn, especially with all the modern issues...

Last edited: