Another exploratory lake outing 10/6 - 10/7/2022

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
20221007_150124.jpg

This past Thursday afternoon and Friday I tried out another little general regulation lake in north central WA that I'd never tried previously. If you've been there I'm sure you'd recognize the lake from this photo. It turned out to have some nice, quality rainbows in it like this one:

IMGP5776.JPG

The rainbows ranged in size between 15 and 19 inches, and the 17 to 19 inchers were especially good fighters and jumpers. Only one of the fish I landed looked like it had been caught before. Just goes to show that sometimes a general regulation lake can have better fish than some of the "quality" lake fisheries.

Fish Size Distribution Chart 2022-10-07.jpg

The water temperature ranged from 61 to 65 degrees with about 10 feet of visibility. No hatches of significance. I did best with black and dark olive rabbit fur leeches.

Only two other fly casters (Thursday) and two gear guys at the lake (Thursday and Friday), so it wasn't too crowded.

The wildflowers are pretty much done, but I saw some Common Mallow on the lakeshore:

20221006_135250 Common Mallow.jpg

Don't think I'll be able to fish every lake in the state before I pass on, but I'm trying... :)

Rex

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That first photo is stunning. Incredible scenery. Not only would I love to fish that lake, but would love to ride those trails on my bicycle. :love: