another EURO rod thread....all-rounders

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
clearly it's been a minute since we've had a Euro rod thread, so here's one.

As some know, I broke my Redington Strike 10'6" 3wt a week ago doing a bonehead Orvis-style maneuver (that Orvis bend.... :LOL:)

Anyway, I'll get around to sending that in when I get around to it (thanks to all who gave out info in that thread). Bottom line though, I needed something for this weekend (or rather, wanted something). I ordered an Edge Archetype 11' 2wt (butt is same thickness as my 9' 5wt on the same brand of blank FWIW). I put it through it's paces yesterday only as a Euro-style rod and wow, did it perform! Compared to the Strike (not known as an overly sensitive rod), this thing was incredibly sensitive. I don't know how it would compare with whatever the top models are these days, but wow, what a difference. Power-wise, it handled all of the fish I caught with the largest being 16" (kind of a dog) D redside (take your Redside, rainbow, redband conversations elsewhere! :LOL:). And I also managed not to make any boneheaded landing mistakes like last weekend.

Next time out, I'll try to play with both a micro skagit (150gr Commando that I think I still have somewhere). Once I get the Strike sent in and back, I'll probably use that as my primary trout indicator rod as I know it excels at that VERY well and just isn't as sensitive of a rod (not that you feel many of those strikes anyway). Additionally, the Archetype is really light in hand. I was surprised that the little Ross Cimarron 2 balanced it out perfectly (yeah yeah, take your importance of balance conversations elsewhere too! :LOL:), but it did right where my normal grip is (Strike was a tiny bit tip heavy). All in all, I'm VERY happy with this....even though I still think fishing solely euro style is boring as F (there's never any denying it's effectiveness).

🍻

Divad

Whitefish
I bought the carbon xl 3wt 10’ and have yet to use it for a euro nymph rod. It does however bomb casts with a 150gr SA Skagit Lite head, 7’ trout polyleaders and 40lb Amnesia. Caught some steelies as bycatch cutty fishing, and use it in the salt way more than I expected. No false casts is heaven.

Strong butts on the euro models, the tip section on the other hand…broke mine with a lead eye shrimp pattern. But it’s noodly top half definitely keeps the hook pinned.
60C27EE1-F253-48D0-9697-D1AD0F227C99.jpeg
4B7F9263-B767-4795-98D3-348F943D4D92.jpeg
448DA345-DD1A-4723-A590-F950C3D90B0E.jpeg
7115ECC8-0DD2-4D68-8936-976C9444B36D.jpeg
Let’s break this traditional euro nymphing bafoonery thread from the onset!

After seeing the progression of the grip one can deduce filler was likely used on this one 😁

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Completely agree with that sentiment!!! :LOL:

I bought the carbon xl 3wt 10’ and have yet to use it for a euro nymph rod. It does however bomb casts with a 150gr SA Skagit Lite head, 7’ trout polyleaders and 40lb Amnesia. Caught some steelies as bycatch cutty fishing, and use it in the salt way more than I expected. No false casts is heaven.

Strong butts on the euro models, the tip section on the other hand…broke mine with a lead eye shrimp pattern. But it’s noodly top half definitely keeps the hook pinned.
My Strike had several small summers to it's name....I just didn't do the stupid thing I did with the trout with them! :LOL:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'll probably use that as my primary trout indicator
My echo shadow 2 is god awful as an indicator rod (maybe it’s me?). But the only time I put a bobber on it is when it’s too windy to tightline. The only thing I hate more than euro nymphing is bobber nymphing. This year/summer ruled. I didn’t rig up that rod from May til November.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the write up. I've done a lot more tightline fishing with heavier rods like my 6wts this year as well. I love euro-nymphing but frankly I don't think the 10' 3wt XL has enough of that "butt power" for my tastes. Maybe it's just me, and I'm getting old and weak, but I just want more stick, especially for fish over that 13-14" size. I can get the bigger ones in, but I don't like to play a fish to exhaustion if it's to be released.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Really like my T&T Contact II 10'9" 3wt, it's incredibly light, responsive and sensitive. I only use it a few times a year at my local river, euro nymphing is fun for a while but it does get old fast. Very effective though no doubt about it and yeah it's possible to double haul mono to get the extra reach to the other side of the river bank :)

original_d675019c-3dab-43e4-8a05-f2f0aa4a619e_PXL_20220702_144406040.jpg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I had this thread in mind today. I fished two different rivers with a 10' rod today, and I think that's gonna be my length limit. The tip gets into the tree limbs noticeably more than a 9' rod as it is. I'd like more muscle than the Carbon XL 10' 3wt, but the 6wt stillwater I used today lacked sensitivity for the task, just had to watch the sighter. Maybe the 10' 4wt archetype, but I still have the 10' 4wt IMX Ira was using in the back of my mind as well.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_3250.jpegIMG_3251.jpegIMG_3253.jpegGot myself an early xmass gift…10’9’ 4wt esn rod, full frame Lamson spooled with 30 Lazar line. I have both a 175gr skagit head and a SA euro shorty with 2x sighter. I went out on the dock and see how it cast the skagit head with a 7.5’ sink tip, it cast beautifully as well as one could expect without being in the water. I’m sure my wife was wondering who the idiot was on our dock casting in the cold rain…I’m thinking this might be my main rod setup for several rivers that I like to fish both nymphing and swinging…just need to put on a reel with a floating 4wt line to see how it cast drys…

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
View attachment 93661View attachment 93662View attachment 93663Got myself an early xmass gift…10’9’ 4wt esn rod, full frame Lamson spooled with 30 Lazar line. I have both a 175gr skagit head and a SA euro shorty with 2x sighter. I went out on the dock and see how it cast the skagit head with a 7.5’ sink tip, it cast beautifully as well as one could expect without being in the water. I’m sure my wife was wondering who the idiot was on our dock casting in the cold rain…I’m thinking this might be my main rod setup for several rivers that I like to fish both nymphing and swinging…just need to put on a reel with a floating 4wt line to see how it cast drys…
Lucky...........
I've been driving myself crazy trying to decide what rod I don't need to buy. The ones I mentioned, and a Danielson Nymph, or a rod in the 8'8" 5wt range like a Burkheimer or Scott to fill a quiver hole? I guess I can't decide because I really don't need a new rod, and I have a hard time choosing which one to take on a given day as it is..

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I fished my favorite river In WA last June, my main rod that I used was my Shadow X 10' 3wt...it would cast my Commando Smooth 150 gr skagit well, and a 3wt dry fly line too...but there were a couple deep holes I tried dredging with a heavier double nymph rig that I'm sure I couldn't get deep enough, and it didn't cast medium sized streamers very well either...this is how I rationalized my new rod/reel purchase...hehe.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Lucky...........
I've been driving myself crazy trying to decide what rod I don't need to buy. The ones I mentioned, and a Danielson Nymph, or a rod in the 8'8" 5wt range like a Burkheimer or Scott to fill a quiver hole? I guess I can't decide because I really don't need a new rod, and I have a hard time choosing which one to take on a given day as it is..
I'm seriously considering treating myself to another Danielsson Dryfly reel. At least then I could have one on each of the two rods normally carry with me....not that I need it by any stretch. 😆

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter

View attachment 91362
View attachment 91363
View attachment 91364
View attachment 91365

After seeing the progression of the grip one can deduce filler was likely used on this one 😁
I fished mine again yesterday and am amazed at the fish you're able to handle. I love mine, but I really think I need more stick. I hooked up yesterday and ended up breaking off the best fish of the day because it was on the other side of a swift seam trying to get into a rootball hole. Several times in the high water I had trouble getting a fish back up to me after doing that downstream rollover at the top of the current seam, and ended up sliding downstream with the fish until I could get below it. My classic trout is my "softest" least powerful 6wt, and I kinda equate the butt power on the echo to that. Maybe I'm off. Don't get an opportunity to actually try new stuff or compare much.
I also realize I'm a spaz, and have enough trouble netting a fish with a 10' rod. Besides the cover issue, I'm not sure I could land a fish with that 11' rod Archetype.
Really want a sensitive 10' 4wt I think.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
I fished mine again yesterday and am amazed at the fish you're able to handle. I love mine, but I really think I need more stick. I hooked up yesterday and ended up breaking off the best fish of the day because it was on the other side of a swift seam trying to get into a rootball hole. Several times in the high water I had trouble getting a fish back up to me after doing that downstream rollover at the top of the current seam, and ended up sliding downstream with the fish until I could get below it.
I also realize I'm a spaz, and have enough trouble netting a fish with a 10' rod. Besides the cover issue, I'm not sure I could land a fish with that 11' rod Archetype.
Really want a sensitive 10' 4wt I think.
I’ve come to think I abuse the taper on that rod, it was probably never meant for 12-14lb tippet 🙃 However I’ve yet to have a mid rod break (knock on wood!) only tip sections that break from lead eye impacts. Curious, what tippet strength did you run yesterday?

I’m going to build one of the NFC 10’ 5wts this winter to accommodate situations where I need more stick. Have you thought about having an NFC 1004 built or the Edge rod using that blank? Then again Echo also makes our rod in a 4wt offering and have been outstanding in customer service (not the most sensitive though). The stiffer more expensive modulus graphite euro nymph rods do have that sensitivity factor.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I’ve come to think I abuse the taper on that rod, it was probably never meant for 12-14lb tippet 🙃 However I’ve yet to have a mid rod break (knock on wood!) only tip sections that break from lead eye impacts. Curious, what tippet strength did you run yesterday?

I’m going to build one of the NFC 10’ 5wts this winter to accommodate situations where I need more stick. Have you thought about having an NFC 1004 built or the Edge rod using that blank? Then again Echo also makes our rod in a 4wt offering and have been outstanding in customer service (not the most sensitive though). The stiffer more expensive modulus graphite euro nymph rods do have that sensitivity factor.
I was at 4X, which I'm sure also contributed. Still, I know what I can do with my old 6wt sage or RS4 and 4x under those same conditions. BUT I LIKE EURO NYMPHING TOO. The Edge 10' 4wt is high on my list right now, and seems to have just a slightly larger butt diameter than the one @clarkman reviewed if I recall correctly.