Anchor Systems and Rod Holders for Plastic Pram

Cliff

Steelhead
Hello, I have an older plastic pram and I'd like to get an anchoring system for the bow and stern (or one or the other) and at least two rod holders for trolling or rod storage while casting. My boat is molded something-or-other, maybe polystyrene? I'm wondering what brands/types of gear to install (Scotty?) and how to install them. Since plastic (or whatever this is) is somewhat "pliable" I'm a little concerned about what gear I can put on it. My boat is the white one in the attached photo.
Thanks
CliffPram.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Looks like polyethylene. You should be able to use the Scotty mounts for rod holders and anchor system (the same mount handles both).

I'd advise getting the newer Scotty mounts with the button release...much more convenient.

I'd also advise using stainless steel bolts/nylock nuts and large SST fender washers under the nuts to distribute the load on the polyethylene hull. The Scotty anchor will, of course, exert far more stress on the hull than will rod holders and flyrods.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
How deep is that top lip at the bow? That’s where I’d mount a plastic cleat with the rope protector piece.

For the rear it looks like you have a Scotty mount already on the seat. If it clears the anchor pulley arm attachment there’s your rear already installed. Personally I may move that mount to the back further.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
suggest backing pads on both sides..inexpensive PP cutting boards my go to`... pick up a thin white one, likely under $10, cut oversized inner/outer pads, round the corners, drill, apply marine caulking, bolt everything together = load distributed without any leverage points that can 'tin can' the poly hull.
In the pic is a thicker one mounted on my Sportcat for a 20 hp Tohatsu to clamp against (currenty running a 50# MK)IMG_20230528_111038484_HDR.jpg

Cliff

Steelhead
Thanks Guys, I can't tell you how helpful this is. I'm going to start looking into these suggestions very soon.
Cliff