An interesting chenille

RCF

Life of the Party
Peacock comes in so many variations of colors. I like the root bear color and how it accents the peacock. Peacock is one of my favorite materials ---> so buggy looking... Nice tie!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Alec Jackson was the first person I saw twisting wire and tinsel into peacock herl and ostrich.
Yes, same here! I attended a tying demonstration at a local fly shop in the mid 90's and the way he twisted ostrich herl and fine wire into a natural "chenille" changed my fly tying. I use that technique all the time now for different materials.

-andy

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Looks great. When I do that I add a couple of strands of wire, which helps with durability.
I gave up on wire because it cuts the peacock herl sometimes. I’m experimenting with the crystal flash for reinforcement. If it doesn’t work I’ll add a strand of 6/0 thread.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Alec Jackson was the first person I saw twisting wire and tinsel into peacock herl and ostrich.
Me too. He did some amazing things with the twisted silver wire and silk floss as tags on steelhead flies. The attached photo is from a shadow box with an original Alec Jackson fly. Some of the folks on the forum who like fancy Steelhead flies can probably apply this technique.

4BC27406-7C9C-4974-9B0D-DB14EB60B6B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That looks great.
You can get a similar effect or mottled look by braiding three strands of different colored chenille. Works great for bodies and worm tails for bass patterns.
SF

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I gave up on wire because it cuts the peacock herl sometimes. I’m experimenting with the crystal flash for reinforcement. If it doesn’t work I’ll add a strand of 6/0 thread.
I sometimes use 5x tippet counterwrap, and have twisted it in the herl rope as well.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I tie in my herl; pull the bobbin straight down; pin the herl/thread with hackle pliers; and spin the two together…then wrap.

I like the idea of adding krystal flash. 👍🏼