An alternative/additional weather news option that isn't Cliff Mass - PNW Weather Watch

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
We all know Cliff Mass and many of us have read his blog for years. The guy knows a ton of stuff about PNW weather and I respect that. But there is room for an alternative. Particularly in a world where video/voice is sometimes a better way to communicate than text/images.

I've been watching Michael Snyder aka Pacific Northwest Weather Watch on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@PacificNorthwestWeather

Here's his most recent video as an example:

It's a little "weather nerd" focused. If you don't know what the "European model" is or what "HRRR" means, you'll have a little learning to do. But even without that knowledge he talks through the forecasts and satellite images in a way that I find pretty interesting. He seems to mostly cover WA/OR but does include the east side of the hills.

For those of you who like Elon's cesspool, he also posts on Twitter as @SeattleWXGuy. Also, much to my surprise, there is "PNW weather drama" on Twitter. For example, last night Cliff Mass tried to "educate" everyone with a know it all post about how it was WAY too warm for freezing rain. And of course many people quickly pointed out that he was very wrong, including our new friend SeattleWXGuy:

Good times. Or would be good times, if Twitter wasn't a burning pile of used diapers.

Regardless, I enjoy the youtube channel. Lots of good info there to add onto your "weather" data pile along with NWS, UW Atmospheric Sciences, NWAC, NOAA, and yes, Cliff Mass.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You guys don't have your own local weather blog? Sad...

In the Gorge we have crazy weather that often changes by the neighborhood. I've read that the climate change from Cascade Locks to Hood River(Double the rain totals of CL) to The Dalles(Double the rain totals of HR) is one of the quickest in the world. Nobody outside really puts in the effort to forecast it well since there isn't a large population. There are a bunch of outdoor folks, a lot of whom are wind sports enthusiasts, so we have a local weather page with a chat board. As you can imagine it has been quite busy this week. Just today we have had snow, sleet, hail, and freezing rain. Its literally a lifesaver as we don't have many alternate routes for getting around.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Even before I left the Puget Sound region (where Cliff concentrates his efforts), I was finding the guy insufferable. Went from being kind of a "Billy Nye" for local weather to being someone who had to politicize stuff and suck all the fun out of it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I enjoy this guys videos and weather info that he posts on FB. This is an older video. He’s based on Whidbey.
SF