Albacore flies

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I know there's already a thread in the tying section, but I wanted to transfer some of my content over here and figured it may be less confusing to just start a new thread. This is all copied from where I've posted it elsewhere on the internet

With the big increase in fly fishing for albacore this year, and the amazing amount of trips you all have already booked this summer, I thought it would be cool to start a thread specifically focused on albacore flies.

I'm sure many of you, like myself, are spending plenty of time at the vise with dreams of the summer. There's some great stuff in the Whats In Your Vise thread, along with the various albacore threads, and I find myself sifting through those threads often looking for inspiration. I thought it would be cool to start a dedicated thread where we could discuss flies, materials, hooks, theories etc so it would be easy for people to reference as they tie flies for their summer trips. We've had plenty of albacore threads but nothing focused specifically on flies.

To get us started here's what I've been tying the last few days. I have quite a few flies left over from last summer, but one goal for this off-season is to fill up both of my Cliff's Bugger Barn boxes so I am well stocked for the summer.

Last few days I've been focused on smaller baitfish patterns. I have, by far, had my best success using small to medium sized baitfish patterns. (Referring specifically to casting/retrieving) I have a lot of thoughts on fly size, but ultimately I find in most cases if albacore are ignoring flies its almost always better to go smaller. By far the most prolific baitfish food source for these fish offshore, at least as it applies to fly fishing, is Pacific Saurie. Saurie are a slender baitfish, similar to our sandlance in profile. Ive seen schools of tiny 1-2" saurie, and I've seen them as large as 15" or better. It seems on average when we see large concentrations of them offshore they are generally the smaller variety, 2-4" or so. When the albacore are feeding heavily on them they get extreme tunnel vision, often only eating a fly that comes mighty close to at least the size/profile of the saurie.

These patterns are about 3" or so, with the purple one being a bit larger. My first fly caught albacore came on a similar pattern at a time when they wouldn't touch anything else. These are loosely based on a pattern I found online called the Asura Minnow. Pretty simple pattern to whip up and I've got a good pile of them worked up this week in various colors

_DSC9867-01.jpeg_DSC9755-01.jpeg_DSC9805-01.jpeg_DSC9797-01.jpeg_DSC9831-02.jpeg

Here's a shot I took last year of a Pacific Saurie that ended up on the deck during a bait stop. Not quite as snakey as sandlance, and they swim like a standard baitfish, usually in schools.

_DSC7656 (1).JPG

Here's a large one that an averaged sized albacore puked up when I was commercial fishing

0709150842d.jpg

Here's some of the patterns that have produced well for me the last few years.

Flies tied in this deceiver and flatwing style have easily put more fish on the deck for me than any other pattern. I tie them in a variety of sizes and colors but the chartreuse and white and the darker anchovy colored one has produced the best for me. They are a little more involved to tie, but still not bad. I really like using the heads from @Spawnflyfish for these patterns. They just add such a cool element to the pattern, and they are durable as can be.

IMG_20200119_150100_663.jpgDSC08481-01.jpegIMG_20200407_093102_958.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Continuing on because I can only upload 10 pics to a post

IMG_20191011_200728_155.jpg

Here's a video I made last year for the anchovy version

I'll need to tie up a bunch more of these in the coming weeks as they are a staple in my box.

I'll also be tying more squid and shrimp patterns this winter. I haven't fished these anywhere near as much as baitfish patterns, but this past season we had some good success with squid patterns.

Many people ask me about hooks, so these are my go to hooks.

20210127_173941-01.jpeg20210127_173950-01.jpeg20210127_173957-01 (1).jpeg20210127_174006-01 (1).jpeg

The Kona Big Game Hunter and the Owner Aki are my favorites for all of my baitfish patterns. Both are sticky sharp, short shanked, nice gap, and strong as hell. I have also used the Ahrex Blue Water and SA280, although my only complaint with these is the wire is so thick, including the eye, that they aren't as versatile if you want to add Spawn Heads or the Fish Mask plastic heads .

The Ahrex Predator Stinger and the Kona Big Game Carnivore are what I use when I tie flies that require more shank length, for larger trolling style flies, and for topwater (Ahrex Predator Stinger specifically)

Anyway, I hope others will chime in with what they are currently tying and what has worked well in the past. Having a decent number of WFF members out last season I saw a lot of cool patterns and got some great inspiration. Hopefully if we add to this thread we'll end up with a one stop resource for anyone looking for ideas for tying flies for this amazing fishery.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Been spending a lot of time at the vise the last couple of weeks so I figured I'd bump this back up with some pics of what I've been tying as well as some thoughts on flies after another season in the books.

Here's some of what I've been focusing on lately.

20220120_124433.jpg

Last summer was a tough tuna season, theres just no other way to put it. Did a lot of fly specific trips that while successful relative to the quality of fishing available at the time, catching fish on cast flies while stopped was not often super successful overall. Over the course of the season I caught a fair amount personally, however I have the enormous advantage of being out there every day and picking the best opportunities to grab the bug rod.

Half and Half style patterns were easily my top producer. I discovered this guy sometime a year or so ago and fell in love with his approach to tying these flies.

I find them super satisfying to tie, and I love the profile and movement in the end result. Combos of green and blue were most productive overall for me, so I've been focused on adding a bunch of them to my box. There were a few days where I could only get bit with these and nothing else. They are a little time consuming to tie, at least for me, as I tend to take my time and experiment with different flashes and such, but there's just something I find relaxing and satisfying about tying these things

DSC01786-01.jpeg

I'm always researching and reading/watching vids about fly fishing for all species of tuna, constantly looking for inspiration. One thing I've found interesting this winter is that when bluefin specifically is the target I hear people refer to Surf Candy style flies as being top producers. This has really jumped out at me since I've yet to catch an albacore on a Surf Candy. This has always frustrated me because I love this style of fly. They are easy to tie, very durable, and just the perfect profile match for the Pacific Saurie found off our coast. Honestly I had kinda given up on them, but seeing them mentioned as top producers for blue fin over and over has rekindled my interest. Ive kinda chalked up their lack of productivity for albacore to the fact that they just don't provide a lot of movement, at least when tied with bucktail and other traditional materials, so I've been messing around with tying them with nothing but hackle feathers, figuring the hackle will provide the most movement possible for this style of fly. Not going crazy tying a ton of them, but I've been very happy with the results and am hoping to find them successful this coming season. Im always tinkering about trying to find patterns that will produce during those times when the fish are keyed in on small saurie and won't look at much else. Don't encounter this scenario every day but always want to be prepared when it does occur.

DSC01876-01.jpeg

Squid patterns have never been something I've fished a ton, especially with confidence. Quite frankly I'm just never sure exactly when I need to focus on fishing squid patterns, and the complexity of tying many of the squid patterns I've come across always turns me off. I wouldn't hesitate to troll squid patterns any day, but casting them I just always feel....unsure? I always say thar confidence in a fly pattern is crucial and I just haven't developed that confidence yet.
That said, there's been a couple occasions over the last two years that have me more focused on them. Two seasons ago former member Alpine Trout got some fish casting a smallish squid pattern on a fairly tough day, and last season @SilverFly did well on another fairly slow day casting a different smaller squid. That day in particular really peaked my interest.

Still messing about with patterns, but so far I'm happy enough with these. They move well, aren't so enormous that casting them is an issue, and most importantly aren't terribly difficult to tie. I just don't have it in me to spend an hour or more tying a fly when I need to have enough in my box to make it through a whole season. I dont want to find myself in a situation where squid is the name of the game for success but I only have one or two available because they take so long to tie. Most all of the forum members who have come out with me bring their own flies, but plenty of other people do not, and I feel it's my duty to be prepared when folks are paying good money to come out.

DSC01995-01.jpeg

Lastly, just a few of my old standby deceiver style patterns tied with Spawn Fly Fish heads. I've still caught more albacore on these flies than any two patterns combined, and never tire of tying them. It's just so fun to experiment with different sizes, colors and materials.

DSC01950-01.jpeg_DSC5581-01.jpeg

Anyhow, hopefully we can keep this thread going as there is already soooooo much good stuff here! I've spent a ton of time searching the web and I can't think of a single finer source of information focused specifically on flies for this fishery. Adding to this as time goes on will only add to this amazing resource.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Squid patterns have never been something I've fished a ton, especially with confidence. Quite frankly I'm just never sure exactly when I need to focus on fishing squid patterns, and the complexity of tying many of the squid patterns I've come across always turns me off. I wouldn't hesitate to troll squid patterns any day, but casting them I just always feel....unsure? I always say thar confidence in a fly pattern is crucial and I just haven't developed that confidence yet.
That said, there's been a couple occasions over the last two years that have me more focused on them. Two seasons ago former member Alpine Trout got some fish casting a smallish squid pattern on a fairly tough day, and last season @SilverFly did well on another fairly slow day casting a different smaller squid. That day in particular really peaked my interest.

Still messing about with patterns, but so far I'm happy enough with these. They move well, aren't so enormous that casting them is an issue, and most importantly aren't terribly difficult to tie. I just don't have it in me to spend an hour or more tying a fly when I need to have enough in my box to make it through a whole season. I dont want to find myself in a situation where squid is the name of the game for success but I only have one or two available because they take so long to tie. Most all of the forum members who have come out with me bring their own flies, but plenty of other people do not, and I feel it's my duty to be prepared when folks are paying good money to come out.

View attachment 1008

Yeah, last year was an eye-opener for me casting squid patterns. No question they slay on the troll, but I was determined to get fish on cast squid flies. Too many times I had whacks that didn't stick when casting/retrieving the big squid. Must be something with the stiff wire harness and the tandem 6/0 Siwash hooks. Changing rods in the chaos following a troll hookup really isn't an option, so I down sized to trolling a smaller, cast-friendly squid pattern. The times it didn't get hit on the troll it was producing on the slide or straight up casting. Of course, "producing" is a very relative term for the effed-up season we had last year. At least now I can cast squid patterns with some degree of confidence.

Last edited:

Slimy Deck

Watch your step
I've loved this thread and the creativity you guys bring, evidence of your pioneering spirit. Thanks for bringing it here. I'm on the east coast and chase false albacore during their fall run to the NC outer banks and have translated a few of your ideas, only a little smaller, mostly size 2's and 4's. These 8-20 lb albies feed mostly on bait balls flushed fresh from the sound, corraled at the surface where standard surf candies seem particularly effective.

Bait.jpg
Albie.jpgAlbie Candies.jpg

tyler

Steelhead
Heading down to Beaufort / Harkers Island in November to chase those "Fat Alberts" was an annual trip for me and my buddies back when I lived in Virginia. Love that area! Cape Lookout Seashore is one of the most beautiful beaches in the country!

Tyler Albie.jpg

Tyler Cape Lookout Albie.jpg

Albie Closeup.jpg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I was watching a recent Gunner Brammer video on tying the Beast fly which is a Bob Popovic design for musky I think. Anyway, thought I’d tie up a tuna version. First one so I have some tinkering to do. I did not follow the recipe 100%. I used an EP fiber brush for the head and two colors of bucktail (too/bottom) through the whole body. It came out ok though.

AA18147C-FEE8-4663-ABCA-A7900C526AEF.jpeg

SSPey

loco alto!
Many people ask me about hooks, so these are my go to hooks.

The Kona Big Game Hunter and the Owner Aki are my favorites for all of my baitfish patterns. Both are sticky sharp, short shanked, nice gap, and strong as hell.

Some beautiful flies here. Tasty looking.

I‘m glad to read that these Kona hooks are strong as hell. I‘m always looking for the thinnest (penetrating) yet strongest hooks that I can find for chinook. Compared to similar wire hooks of several other brands, I found that several different styles of Kona hooks were consistently 1/3 weaker (started with fishing, then tested at home using a fish weighing scale to the point of bending, on a straight-line pull). Maybe the thickness of the Kona hooks pictured here makes them strong, or maybe they’re using better metal/annealing for certain hooks?