Alaska Remote Floats

MT406

Steelhead
A couple buddies and I are looking to book a DYI float in Alaska next year. We haven’t finalized dates, but Silvers and Trout are the desired goal. Any recommendations on rivers or outfitters to fly out with would be greatly appreciated.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
There was a real good report at one point about a diy Alaska trip. I can’t remember if it was this site or the other.

I know, so helpful.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
There was a real good report at one point about a diy Alaska trip. I can’t remember if it was this site or the other.

I know, so helpful.
@mtskibum16 posted a report on a DIY Goodnews float he did a few years back. That may be what you are thinking of.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
@mtskibum16 posted a report on a DIY Goodnews float he did a few years back. That may be what you are thinking of.

There we go. Thank you!

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Recommend looking into the Nonvianuk/Alagnak float. Unsure if any outfitters offer DIY floats but it's a pretty easy float with opportunities for rainbows, char, grayling, coho, chums, kings (sometimes), and pink (if it's a pink year). I know that Branch River Air in King Salmon used to rent rafts but unsure if they still are. Of course with any Alaska float, success is highly dependent on water levels. I've floated this section on high and low water years with varying levels of success but it's an incredible float regardless. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

BigJohnJohn

Gone Fishing
Forum Supporter
I have done a couple remote floats but both with a guide on the Kanektok. However, Papa Bear seems to be the used quite a bit for DIY trips from what I saw so I would definitely look into them as recommended above. I think your will find that all of the rivers in that area offer great fishing so I don't think you can go wrong.

MT406

Steelhead
Thanks for all the suggestions. Alagnak is currently 1# on our list. We’re still doing some research.

Reactions: NBC

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions. Alagnak is currently 1# on our list. We’re still doing some research.
Another note, I've had clients catch rainbows upwards of 25" in the braids section of the Alagnak. It is very much a bead-centric fishery for trout but if you're ok with that, it can be absolutely lights out fishing. Depending on where you take out, the salmon fishing will improve dramatically as you work your way down the river.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I fished the Kanektok for a few years, both for Kings/Sockeye in late June/early July, and then in August for Silvers. Good fishing for Rainbows both time periods also. One thing about that area in Silver season is it can be quite windy at times we found, much more so than the last week of June, first week in July King trips we made. Not sure of how the Salmon runs are these days, so worth checking the run forecasts for the area.
Had a lot of very good days for Silvers using Wogs on top, and had a Grand Slam day as well with all 4 Pacific Salmon species landed, but to be honest the Sockeye was a bit worse for the wear...🤣

Have fun, and here's a link to a place that may answer some questions for you...I have not used them, but some friends did once and were happy.