Alaska in September

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
My wife and I will be going to Anchorage in early to mid September and I will have a few days to head out for some fishing while she is visiting with her friend. If anybody has any suggestions about fishing that time of year I would love to hear it. I'm thinking maybe dolly varden and grayling, maybe silvers.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Kenai will be good for ‘Bows an Dollies, silvers possible. Peak time when I lived there was always after Labor Day and everybody concentrated on moose hunting. These guys are a great resource:

Talkeetna area also fishes well with the possible bonus of a sighting of Denali. Typically smaller streams with less pressure than the Kenai. This guy is a good resource for the area:

Good luck, great time of year with fall colors and great fishing opportunities. Prepare for cold and wind.
if you go to Talkeetna don’t miss the Talkeetna Roadhouse, great food. Good hostel across the street where my grandson and I got a private room with 2 beds for $70/night.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I love the Kenai! Dress warm in September and bring rain gear, think October here typically. If you don't like the weather in Alaska, wait five minutes :) . I can't recommend any guides, I'm spoiled I have buddies up there. Mountain View Sports in Anchorage has a nice fly shop as well.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
Thanks for the advice. It seems like the weather around there is always factor. I was there about 10 years ago in late July and had days that felt like December in Seattle and other days in the 80s.

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
I was in Anchorage during the 2nd week of October last year. It was my first trip to Alaska and we only fished 2 days, so others will have better advice, but it seems like you're hitting the timing really well. There were still some silvers in the local rivers around Anchorage when we were there but season was closed, so they should be pretty good when you're there.

As others said, be prepared for really variable weather. Also be ready for bears on the Kenai... we saw 4 or 5 in one day of fishing. Most were at a good distance, but one was a little spooky because we had just walked past where we saw it no more than 10 minutes later.

ryan

Yak

Just Hatched
If you decide on a Kenai guided trip I highly recommend contacting Stacy or Fred at Mystic Waters.