Air fryer update

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
About a year ago I upgraded my Ninja round basket air fryer to a 5.8 qt Cosori. The Cosori is my 3rd air fryer and by far the best. The square basket is a huge improvement over a round one for the same reason that boxes are square instead of round. Recent reviews place the Cosori at the top of the list being favored over some models that cost 2X more. The more I cook with it the better I like it and the more adventurous I have become with it. I recently tried frozen shrimp in it thinking they would probably come out rubbery and ruined. Instead they were cooked uniformly perfect. Last night I made a single batch of buttermilk biscuits that were among the very best I have ever made-and I make a lot of biscuits! Eight minutes at 380 degrees for a perfect melt in your mouth/crisp outside biscuit. I bake potatoes in it when I sous vide steaks and use them for hash browns later. It does bacon flawlessly and the bacon grease collects in the basket below. Chicken comes out juicy inside and crisp outside. Cabbage steaks are a natural in an air fryer.

So I am obviously hooked on air fryers but what is the downside? For the most part the Cosori presets are fairly accurate but would lean more to overcooking than undercooking. I use a probe thermometer to monitor temps and once I get the time and temp just right make a note of it. It is the perfect tool to reheat pizza as it comes out crisp instead of soggy like a microwave. I have probably just begun to realize the capabilities of the machine but it has become an indispensable tool in my kitchen.

New models of the Cosori are called smart as they can be voice activated and an app used to operate them from a cell phone. These might be preferable to the techie geeks but I am grateful that mine lacks that complexity. Somehow using 2 appliances to operate 1 makes little sense to me, I have to put the food in manually, why not just push a button while I'm standing there?

Like Chromebooks that have evolved tremendously since their humble beginnings, air fryers have vastly improved in just a few short years. I'm starting to see air fryer instructions on some packaged foods along with the usual conventional oven and microwave directions. They have become mainstream.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We've been using a "Gourmia" for a couple of years now. Works great save the instruction booklet it came with is not the for the model we have so choosing the settings is a crap shoot.
Makes great frozen brussel sprouts pork tenderloin and chicken wings.

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Costcos panko battered frozen shrimp is excellent in an air fryer. Good value as well, 40-50 good sized pieces about $18.
@iveofione, how do you cook the cabbage steaks?
I like Brussels sprouts and cauliflower roasted in the fryer. Cut sprouts in half, cauliflower in small pieces and coat in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, little salt& pepper if desired. 12-15 minutes at 375.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I’m about to pick up a unit, but I've a couple questions for you knowing folks. Do you guys use the pre-cut paper things I see for sale on Amazon to help with cleanup? If not, how much cleanup is typical for, say, chicken wings, frozen french fries, and something like a Brussels sprout dish? I guess im assuming cleanup efforts vary by dish….and, lastly, stowage. Is the Cosori and the Gourmia unit easily stored, or is it some wacky shape and size …

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Great timing. My wife got one quite recently and I just am starting to figure it out. She gave me cheat sheets yesterday. I pretty much do all the cooking, not sure why she got it. Our 33rd anniversary was valentine's day. This morning she noticed my duct tape on the vacuum hose, I wonder if a new one will show up for some other occasion, maybe xmas.

20220406_114832.jpg

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My unit has the teflon type coating, so a wash and rinse will remove most of the breading\sauces etc. A lil more work and its clean like new.
I made my own temp/time sheet for cooking. I know which temps and times for all my dishes and after a few sessions you will figure out perfect timing.

They cook fast, so a 2 minute overcook can toughen up a pce of meat quickly or dry out a food item.

I think they are great and i always preheat my unit for about 4 minutes.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
I found using a spray of avocado oil on cooking surfaces, especially non stick, works great. It has a high smoke point (520 degrees) and won’t erode non stick surfaces the way Pam and other non stick sprays do.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Guy, the Cosori is 12'' square and 12 1/2 high. The handle sticks out another 2''. As far as the paper inserts are concerned they seem to have been devised by the terminally lazy in an effort to avoid cleanup. The truth is that grease can still get through them because-duh!-they have holes in them! Furthermore, they block critical airflow around the bottom and reduce efficiency.

As far as cleanup is concerned, I soak up the bulk of the waste with paper towels which I then seal in sandwich bags before throwing in the trash. I use a lot of paper towels and sandwich bags but so far the bears haven't figured out what I'm up to!

Once the grease is wiped out I put the entire tray in the sink and fill with hot soapy water to just cover the bottom of the basket. A quick swipe with a dish cloth will remove any leftover debris and a rinse completes the job. Some things like baked goods and baked potatoes or frozen french fries require nothing more than just wiping out the basket.

I made buttermilk biscuits last night-8 min at 380, just perfect.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Thanks, folks. I appreciate your advice and you sharing your experience. And thanks for your discussion of cleaning..it can’t live on a countertop here so cleanup is crucial.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Wife got the 8 qt Ninja Foodi at christmas and its,been in constant use ever since.

One downside I'm finding is that the bones in chicken and ribs tend to turn soft / go to ash. That's following the recommendations in the book that came with it. Anyone have an idea to prevent that?
Thats

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Instead of the salamander I used the broil function on the unit to finish off the deer sausage spaghetti rolls. Nice even finish. The parchment paper was a good tip.
20220408_180132.jpg20220408_180203.jpg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for that printout TJ, it will be real handy. My Cosori seems to err on the side of overcooking but that is probably because I do such small amounts. I can use the guide then pencil in changes that work the best. No mention of bread or biscuits. I do a single batch of buttermilk biscuits using just 1 cup of flour and they come out just right at 380 and 8 minutes.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Pulled the trigger on the Casori yesterday, Ive. I'm looking forward to sweet potato fries and crispy wings.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good luck Guy, I hope you like it. Like anything new there is a learning curve but much of what has been published is pretty accurate. It doesn't take long to get dialed in.

kerrys

Ignored Member
My favorite air fryer meal is fish and chips. Chips for tonight’s meal soaking as I type. Fresh or frozen cod fillets coated with my own breading. A little olive oil for the chips, none for the fish. Both come out nice and crispy, never soggy. Some malt vinegar and homemade tarter sauce, mmmmm.

MELinOre

Steelhead
I upgraded my Ninja round basket air fryer to a 5.8 qt Cosori.
Based on your recommendation Ive, we are now a two air fryer family.

Our first is a smaller Gourmia unit that sometimes got crowded.

Both have manual controls for simplicity sake.

Breaded chicken tenderloins in the Cosori came out tenderly delicious!
coated with my own breading.
I need to up my breading game. I have been using a mix of Seasoned Coating Mix and Panko Bread Crumbs but not real happy with a sufficient stick to the coating.

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
One thing I tried that didn't come out as good as traditionally, was my attempt at chicken fried steak in my air fryer. I want to try again, and tweak and perfect, but the kids and wife politely requested I don't try while they are dining in that night 🤨