AI generated pictures

The image generation process takes an obscene amount of computing power that does translate to a small but still very real environmental impact. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

flybill

Life of the Party
Computing power is vast these days.. I'm just playing with it, a real picture, in a real situation is always better. But the technology is there and some will use it for whatever they want. It's here to stay, no matter what opinions are out there. AI can be misused, but so can almost any new technology. Sad, but true!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
As somebody who grew up with a darkroom I feel like the art of photography died when it went digital. This is just pure junk, like those wolves blankets you see at off ramps and flea markets.
Great analogy. From an expected source.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If you’re going to play around with AI image generation it’s really only ethical to generate humpkins.
https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/strange-weird-or-odd-or-whatever-beach-finds-thread….59/page-22#post-144242 1704779193614.png

BriGuy

Life of the Party
That last picture looks like Hans Endergills catching a wild steelhead after it cut his fly line to pieces.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The image generation process takes an obscene amount of computing power that does translate to a small but still very real environmental impact. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

Small price to pay for the future propaganda of the misinformation age.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
George Orwell, 1984

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Small price to pay for the future propaganda of the misinformation age.

George Orwell, 1984
my youngest son, a senior director at Google on the strategy side, and I have an ongoing conversation about AI and how deeply embedded it already is. Safe to say at this point the 'internet' knows whether you dress 'right side or left side.' That genie is not going back into the bottle.
Conversely, my older son works for Johnson and Johnson as a project manager building next generation packaged surgical suites, that can be dropped into either a poor rural area or a combat zone, where scans and procedures are performed by an onboard AI computer directed by a surgeon thousands of miles away via satellite uplinks.
Welcome to the era of two edged swords

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
AI will be in the update for Windows 11.. so resistance is futile.. unfortunately..

I was mostly referring to the technology that than the specific pictures.. pretty easy to do if you know where to go.

Server farm issues will continue, mining bitcoin, has been an issue for long before that with distributed computing (cloud) and many other issues. If you think that AI was big last year or previous years, it will continue to grow much faster.

I did read the articles posted early in the thread and found them interesting. Add other factors in with energy use in general and it is definitely an issue. Whether we choose to use it or not, it's going to be there..

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well, none of the Bill’s pictures looked real, but the possibilities are scary. I’ve been telling all who would listen (so nearly no one) that it’s a pretty scary time. The special effects capabilities in the last 20 years have gotten to the point that you can’t trust what you see. AI brings that up by a factor of 10 at least. I’m not a “sky is falling” paranoic, but imagine how this feeds the conspiracy theory crowds. We’re in the middle of an explosion and it’s not pretty.

flybill

Life of the Party
Well, none of the Bill’s pictures looked real, but the possibilities are scary. I’ve been telling all who would listen (so nearly no one) that it’s a pretty scary time. The special effects capabilities in the last 20 years have gotten to the point that you can’t trust what you see. AI brings that up by a factor of 10 at least. I’m not a “sky is falling” paranoic, but imagine how this feeds the conspiracy theory crowds. We’re in the middle of an explosion and it’s not pretty.
I think that's by design of the create app, so that they can't easily be passed off as real. I'm sure someone with really good Photoshop or editing images could make things much more realistic if they choose too.

Movies these days are moving this way, and have for quite some time. Think of Avatar and some of the later Star Wars movies. Or scenes in Rogue One where a young Princess Leah is added or the remake of the original Star Wars where Jabba the Hut was added. Not to mention places where scenery was added in..

Last edited:

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I too spent a lot of time in the darkroom and hate that you can't believe images any more. That said, I saw a picture on FB of a girl I went to high school with that AI had redone. She was already really attractive but in this image she was smokin' hot! Double edged sword indeed.

Zak

Legend
Here's my tin foil hat fear. AI has shown remarkable ability to tell what people are thinking by reading brainwaves.

Combine that with new (not yet existant?) technology to read brain waves from a distance, and our new AI overlords will be able to tell what we are thinking of doing, before we do it. Good luck accessing the server room with intent to do harm in that scenario. Real time feedback from inside the listener's head will allow AI to craft finely-tailored listener-specific persuasive messaging. Maybe there will be a use for tin foil hats after all?