Affordable Saltwater Reels

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I currently use Lamson Liquids for my Saltwater fishing. Great reels reasonably priced but I realize they are not technically saltwater reels. Fly Fishing is very expensive and I can't afford the more popular options. Do you guys have opinions on how long my Lamsons should last assuming I rinse them thoroughly and correctly lubricate them after each use/season? They have "sealed" drags but I have seen saltwater get into them before. Are there other options to look at in the future when mine wear out?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I have a Lamson Radius - not a "saltwater" model - that I've been using in the salt intermittently for 15 or 20 years. It's still just fine.
The true salt reels are usually designated as such because they have drags that will not melt on you when a bonefish/trevally/tuna takes off at a hundred mph - not really necessary for Puget Sound species, IMHO. They're not necessarily any more salt-resistant.
I see LOTS of Lamsons hanging on 6wts on the beach! A Remix currently resides on my 6wt Scott Tidal most of the time

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Don’t overthink it. Unless you’re going for bigger quarry, it doesn’t take anything too modern or high tech.

For years I’ve used reels like this old Pflueger Sal-Trout, and they can be had for around $15. Spray it (or most any reel for that matter) with Boeshield, and you’re good to go.

1698034351213.jpeg

mickey rat

Vermin
Stick with your Lamson. I use the same reel on my 6 weights and have multiple spools with different lines ready to go in the salt. Religiously taken the drag bearing out and rinsed down well after every session. They have lasted for years but I finally had one crap out last month. So you're out a 100 bucks for a new replacement but still have the old spool and a spare drag. You can't beat the bang for buck on those 3 pack combos they offer.

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I currently use Lamson Liquids for my Saltwater fishing. Great reels reasonably priced but I realize they are not technically saltwater reels. Fly Fishing is very expensive and I can't afford the more popular options. Do you guys have opinions on how long my Lamsons should last assuming I rinse them thoroughly and correctly lubricate them after each use/season? They have "sealed" drags but I have seen saltwater get into them before. Are there other options to look at in the future when mine wear out?
Are you using the Lamson in saltwater? Then you have a saltwater reel! Don't get caught up in marketing.

Use it, rinse it well in fresh water, repeat. It'll be fine.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Saltwater will ruin any reel eventually. If that's what you have use them and rinse them until they shit out. In Puget Sound I prefer a click pawl for simplicity. Less things to break and still usable if something does. I have been fishing and had the tension spring break but still been able to fish by palming it.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I agree with others. If you are great about rinsing, no need to change up. You don’t need anything special for PS. If you are not great about rinsing, think about your purchase (that does not mean dropping tons of $$). I found Orvis Hydros reels which have been incredibly durable over the years though I can only speak to the older model. I have 6 of them and have used them hundreds of days in the salt and almost never rinse them. Except for when I am rinsing them in saltwater to get sand and grit off them after laying them on the beach to land/dispatch salmon.

If you are bad about rinsing, what you have may end up looking something like this :ROFLMAO:. Kudos to Ross. This reel is still functional. It might fall apart at any point but it’s functional.

IMG_3470.jpeg

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
I don't use any saltwater marketed reels in the Sound. My routine is to rinse the reel when done in a creek outflow if available. At home, I rinse the reel and spool separately under the hose.

If there is a specific season to usage, I soak the reel, spool, and loose line in a tub of water with a couple drops of dish soup for a couple hours at end of season, rinse.

I prefer Ross and Galvan oil impregnated brass bushing reels for simplicity. Never had a failure on reels that I purchased new over the last 25 years.

However, I purchased a used Ross reel in the classifieds once that felt a bit sloppy and not as smooth as I was accustomed to. I sent it into Ross for repair, and I was severely, but politely, chastised for not rinsing after saltwater usage. (the reel worked perfectly after repair)

Proper care does make a big difference!

So, it's a time vs. money equation in my opinion. You stated you're on a budget. So... proper care will serve you well. 🙂

Last edited:

klaus

Freshly Spawned
Forum Supporter
Enjoy whatever you have. Just smak it few hours in large container (osmosis) and Then rinse, dry and store it.
I have way to many saltwater reels. In general, both type of drag- open and seal-are fine...As long as they work as design! Therefore, to travel few thousend miles I tend to prefere open cork drag ( Abel, Tibor and Islander) . With open drag system I just SEE whats wrong if anything and can service, clean it on the spot. Seal drag are only seal till they leaking and and I like to have access to drag if needed (I like Nautilus). So if you travel,in my opinion it is very important to ve able to clean, dry and service the drag because nearest shop may be 3000 miles away and you already packed way to nany shiirts and pants you do not need! And yes, you need extra rods, extra reels (not spools!), line..You already oaying for extra weight or bag on airplain. If such is even allowed (small comuter planes)
Once again, if you considering traveling, use solid stuff so the reel handle will not fall of your spool on the boat during fighting (Orvis) or your plastic drag engagemnt mechanism will fail (Ross is plastic). The guide cost me already to much to risk it.
Other than that, keep it simply, use lamsons and whatever just keep it clean.
Travel pushed reels to really tough standards but even many Chinese reels are good today because cutting piece of aluminum is not a racket science in 21 century.
We just like new toys. We like American.. Canadian..whatever.. all overpriced but we buy them.
Many of the reels we use today will still work fine when we, our kids.., will have nothing to fish for anymore. So protect your waters to extend life of our pastime, soak your Lamson and have fun!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a couple Okuma SLV reels for salt water and if they get corroded, they are only about $65 to replace. The spools are cheap, too.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Use the Salt-A-Way that Evan discussed, and rinse the reels in warm - not hot or cold - water every time you use on in saltwater. Warm water can dissolve and carry away more salt than either a fast hot water rinse or a long cold water soak.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I agree with others. If you are great about rinsing, no need to change up. You don’t need anything special for PS. If you are not great about rinsing, think about your purchase (that does not mean dropping tons of $$). I found Orvis Hydros reels which have been incredibly durable over the years though I can only speak to the older model. I have 6 of them and have used them hundreds of days in the salt and almost never rinse them. Except for when I am rinsing them in saltwater to get sand and grit off them after laying them on the beach to land/dispatch salmon.

If you are bad about rinsing, what you have may end up looking something like this :ROFLMAO:. Kudos to Ross. This reel is still functional. It might fall apart at any point but it’s functional.

View attachment 87346

I think you posted this in the wrong discussion thread...just sayin'

Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

:cool:
1699631772595.png

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Danielsson make good reels. They are largely designed for Scandinavian "sea trout" fishing, which is basically the same thing as anything you'll do around Puget Sound.