Non-Fly Above bonny thread fall salmon

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
For those who prefer dead fish and bloody decks.

Took a afternoon trip with wife , didn't expect much , launched at noon and limited (2) at 12:18 . Kinda felt cheated cause I didn't want to go home, so motored over to the bankie spot, asked a the only dude on the bank if he wanted to jump on and try and bonk a king, he was super excited and said hell ya, so off we went and hour and half later bonking we did...... 20230817_120437.jpg20230817_120631.jpgIMG_20230817_121944_01.jpg20230817_145953.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Damn, those URB chinook wouldn't look out of place if the pics were changed to a saltwater background. So weird seeing that spot empty with steelhead being closed.

Not nearly as weird as seeing one of my wife's friends holding a fish. I suppose I have to be nice to you now ;) . Freaking small world that Stacy was a coworker of ours. They're really scrambling in her area since she left. Anyway, nice to finally put a face to the fish slaying Mike I've heard so much about. Already knew she was a fish killing machine.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
nice job mike! super cool of you to invite a guy to hop on like that
Dude was excited, he said he hasn't caught a salmon in 3 years dealing with health issues , he went to drano to get away for a few hours. Glad we got him into one , in all actuality I was being selfish cause I didn't want to go home yet. I only live 15 min away but it wasn't crazy hot and I love getting folks into fish.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
Damn, those URB chinook wouldn't look out of place if the pics were changed to a saltwater background. So weird seeing that spot empty with steelhead being closed.

Not nearly as weird as seeing one of my wife's friends holding a fish. I suppose I have to be nice to you now ;) . Freaking small world that Stacy was a coworker of ours. They're really scrambling in her area since she left. Anyway, nice to finally put a face to the fish slaying Mike I've heard so much about. Already knew she was a fish killing machine.
She kills a lot of salmon each year, and runs the rods and gear better than anyone else I know. That girl can fish.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So weird seeing that spot empty with steelhead being closed.
Stopped by tonight. Definitely not empty. Probably 5 Bankies, 15ish main lake trolling boats, 5 bobbering in the channel.

Only action I watched....fly guy in the pram snagged 2. Suprising WDFW LEOs let him skate on his violations. Whenever I watch him, he flosses 1 in the mouth for every 6 he hooks "elsewhere".

I do miss the fun of fishing the big steelhead runs in years past. Trolling blinkies while drinking cold bevs on an 80° night after work was a good time.

Watching you bobber slip under, and the momentary uncertainty of whether it was a 4 pounder or a Clearwater 16, was pretty cool too.

JudyM

Steelhead
I will be heading to Cascade Locks and fish off the locks here soon. Guess CL is charging a buck an hour for parking, but what doesn't cost money?

Jagosh

Smolt
Stopped by tonight. Definitely not empty. Probably 5 Bankies, 15ish main lake trolling boats, 5 bobbering in the channel.

Only action I watched....fly guy in the pram snagged 2. Suprising WDFW LEOs let him skate on his violations. Whenever I watch him, he flosses 1 in the mouth for every 6 he hooks "elsewhere".

I do miss the fun of fishing the big steelhead runs in years past. Trolling blinkies while drinking cold bevs on an 80° night after work was a good time.

Watching you bobber slip under, and the momentary uncertainty of whether it was a 4 pounder or a Clearwater 16, was pretty cool too.
That Pram guy has been consistently deadly for years. I actually rigged up to bank fish that area for Steelhead last week and only then did I check the regs.

I’ll be up there this afternoon.

Divad

Whitefish
That Pram guy has been consistently deadly for years. I actually rigged up to bank fish that area for Steelhead last week and only then did I check the regs.

I’ll be up there this afternoon.
Does the pram guy use an actual fly line or is he on a fly rod with mono/fluoro mainline?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Where's dude flossing? Isn't the water relatively deep? I feel like flossing in the mouth in deep water would be tough to do.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Snaggers suck regardless of the rod they are holding.

You should see the drunk old men getting in fights over chum hatchery snagging spots in my neck of the woods.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Snaggers suck regardless of the rod they are holding.

You should see the drunk old men getting in fights over chum hatchery snagging spots in my neck of the woods.
In Alaska a few weeks ago, it was surreal seeing people flossing/snagging booted out pinks while my friend and I are hiking out of spots with our limits of coho. Just blew my mind.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter
Dude is nothing more than a snagger always has been or flosser in my opinion it's same damn thing.... targeting steelhead in shallow water even when steelhead is closed is ridiculous.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Dude is nothing more than a snagger always has been or flosser in my opinion it's same damn thing.... targeting steelhead in shallow water even when steelhead is closed is ridiculous.
Time to start calling him out on the water. Make him uncomfortable. If enforcement isn't, someone has to. I'm sure @Jagosh has some good tricks up his sleeve :ROFLMAO:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
When you want to be a perennial All Pro and reach the Snagging / Flossing Hall of Fame, you break out the ladder…..
No gold jackets are given, but every inductee gets a dozen 10’ leaders with black corkies.
SF

IMG_4547.jpeg