Abbreviated July tying contest

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Searun cutthroat are one of my favorite fish to target. My Idea for the contest is a fly you use for cutthroat. We are spread all over so it can be any kind of fly and any type of cutthroat. Post the fly and the type of cutthroat you use it for. I tied this fly as an example of the type of fly I use off the beach for cutthroat. The general shape is usually the same but I'll use different materials and colors. As a small prize I will mail the winner this cutthroat fly and the humpy bugger that was picked last month. I'll leave any appropriate GIFs to Billy.
IMG_20230708_221740876_HDR.jpgIMG_20230708_221759957.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I joined Puget Sound Fly Fishers in 1979; Bruce Ferguson was a member of the club. He generously shared his knowledge of the Sound and Canal and I became a fan of his "Green and Silver":\
DSCF0464.JPG

The top fly is close to the original Green and Silver, the others variations on that theme.

DSCF1830.JPG

Hardly a Green and Silver but still that pattern is the model for the few salt SRC flies I tie and fish from time to time. The flies above do seem to attract a fish or two.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I joined Puget Sound Fly Fishers in 1979; Bruce Ferguson was a member of the club. He generously shared his knowledge of the Sound and Canal and I became a fan of his "Green and Silver":\
View attachment 72153

The top fly is close to the original Green and Silver, the others variations on that theme.

View attachment 72154

Hardly a Green and Silver but still that pattern is the model for the few salt SRC flies I tie and fish from time to time. The flies above do seem to attract a fish or two.
I feel like those would work in early spring for some lakes we hit...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I feel like those would work in early spring for some lakes we hit...
When we first moved to Ephrata, I was (still am) a rank amateur at lake fishing. Lake Lenore's trout liked a lot of my SRC patterns (that's mostly what I had back then).

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
I like it. What kind of water are you fishing?
Thanks. W WA rivers, they are low as you know, been focusing on anything with some chop on top that I can get a swing thru. Best early or dusk or if I can find mid day water out of the sun.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I like to use some take on a Skagit minnow off the beach in the spring when the chum show up. Nothing special but the winner can have this one to.

You have a unique style of fly tying that I really appreciate. Everything you post is fishy as hell and totally has your own distinct flavor to it. I always dig your stuff a lot!

I'll have to see if I can come up with something to contribute to this one.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
You have a unique style of fly tying that I really appreciate. Everything you post is fishy as hell and totally has your own distinct flavor to it. I always dig your stuff a lot!

I'll have to see if I can come up with something to contribute to this one.
Thanks, your flies always look nice as well. I'm not a great tier but I enjoy it. I'm not big on following instructions step by step. I usually just sit down and start tying.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
View attachment 72256

For freshwater cutts—westlopes and coastals. I plan to drop these off the back of dries. Unweighted, but they sink.
I caught some westslopes on these recently, including some nice ones. Future ties will have sparser hackle; these almost looked like wet flies in the water. I trimmed one up a bit and it looked even fishier to me. Raggedy looking flies sometimes fish better than pretty ones.