A small observation about fishing

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We often consider ourselves to be the most intelligent animals on earth. We have one of the largest brain to body ratios of any animal that exist, and we have left the largest impact of any to walk the earth as well. And yet; we devote hours, months, years of our time, just to figure out how to trick animals with brains the size of an almond. And often, we can go our whole lives and still not figure out everything there is to know about them. We practice and practice that reach cast to get a precisely drag free float to entice that hungry cutthroat, or practice rod control to get the perfect spoon swing in front of the nose of that chrome Steelhead. We experiment with making our flies more enticing to the fish, different combinations of scents and flavors to add to our baits, and sometimes even when we plan everything just perfectly, with all the resources, wit, and ingenuity we have, we still manage to get outsmarted by an animal like a fish. Something I always loved about fishing is that at the end of the day, no matter how well I prepare, my fishing trip is always at the mercy of the fish.

Just some food for thought, or maybe just a sign I need to get better sleep, who knows!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
We often consider ourselves to be the most intelligent animals on earth. We have one of the largest brain to body ratios of any animal that exist, and we have left the largest impact of any to walk the earth as well. And yet; we devote hours, months, years of our time, just to figure out how to trick animals with brains the size of an almond. And often, we can go our whole lives and still not figure out everything there is to know about them. We practice and practice that reach cast to get a precisely drag free float to entice that hungry cutthroat, or practice rod control to get the perfect spoon swing in front of the nose of that chrome Steelhead. We experiment with making our flies more enticing to the fish, different combinations of scents and flavors to add to our baits, and sometimes even when we plan everything just perfectly, with all the resources, wit, and ingenuity we have, we still manage to get outsmarted by an animal like a fish. Something I always loved about fishing is that at the end of the day, no matter how well I prepare, my fishing trip is always at the mercy of the fish.

Just some food for thought, or maybe just a sign I need to get better sleep, who knows!

You're observations are right on. This is precisely why there is no room for having an ego tied up in fishing. Makes me wonder why there are sooooooo many blowhards in the industry. Sometimes I wonder if we blow harder than the wind we complain about :)

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
The best aspect of fly fishing is discovering that next level of challenge when your anticipation and execution worked to plan, only for the fish to exploit every flaw in your system and leave you speechless.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I am still unsure that I am actually fooling fish, sometimes they fool me, rising, making my heart skip a beat, then turning away at the last moment. I often feel the fish are giving me a gift, for which I thank them upon release.

cheers

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You're observations are right on. This is precisely why there is no room for having an ego tied up in fishing. Makes me wonder why there are sooooooo many blowhards in the industry. Sometimes I wonder if we blow harder than the wind we complain about :)

Blow hards catch wannabe fisherman not necessarily fish. Much like the lure section of a major tackle store. Most of those contraptions will catch far more fisherman than fish.

Cliff

Steelhead

I am reminded that John Gierach wrote in one of his books this great line: "Trout are only as smart as they need to be, people are too smart for their own good".

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I'm not one who believes we ever get out smarted by fish. I don't believe smarts has anything to do with it. I think we as humans like to attribute way too many qualities to fish that really just don't exist.

Fish aren't smart. They aren't thinking and analyzing. When we fail to catch them we simply fail to meet a biological response/need at the appropriate time.

Eat, breed, avoid death....fish are pretty simple creatures. If we don't catch them it's not because they out smarted us.

IMO one of the biggest mistakes anglers make is thinking of their target through a human lense. Catching fish is pretty simple. We just like to over complicate the hell out of it in a wide variety of ways.

Just how I see it anyway.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
After 55 years of fairly intense work I'm not interested in making flyfishing into a major project.

Just gonna fish.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
After 55 years of fairly intense work I'm not interested in making it into a major project.

Just gonna fish.
That's how I view Tenkara in small to mid-sized streams below the Shishou (Master) or Sensei (Teacher) levels

Just gonna catch fish ;)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
“Idiot Wind”…Bob Dylan…

G_Smolt

Legend
Like Sparse Grey Hackle did in his book? Let's see; he thought about it, soaked some of his bread in Scotch, and cast his bread upon the water, whereupon the trout rose to it and ate it. I think it went something like that.
I'm not one who believes we ever get out smarted by fish. I don't believe smarts has anything to do with it. I think we as humans like to attribute way too many qualities to fish that really just don't exist.

Fish aren't smart. They aren't thinking and analyzing. When we fail to catch them we simply fail to meet a biological response/need at the appropriate time.

Eat, breed, avoid death....fish are pretty simple creatures. If we don't catch them it's not because they out smarted us.

IMO one of the biggest mistakes anglers make is thinking of their target through a human lense. Catching fish is pretty simple. We just like to over complicate the hell out of it in a wide variety of ways.

Just how I see it anyway.
Yes to both approaches.

I've spent my entire fish career telling folks to listen to the fish and what they are telling you. I couldn't find a way to dumb down the concept even more, but a shocking number of folks still didn't/don't/won't get it.

Listen to the fish. They will let you know when you are doing things right.

Smalma

Life of the Party
G_Smolt has it exactly right! Whether working in attempting to recovery fish populations and/or their habitats or attempting to fool them success ultimately depend on how well we listen to what the fish are telling us!

That doesn't sticking our head in the water and listening for enlighten voices but rather being able to develop informed theories as to what the fish are telling us, test those theories, and adapting depending on the feedback the fish give us to those theories. Those theories are best formed based on our knowledge of what the fish need to be successful mixed with experience on the water.

The difficult part for us fly anglers is that often our chosen method (fly angling) of testing our theories with the fish is often not the best tool to gather the essential information. Ultimately, a successful day on the water involves the angler solving the fishing puzzle of the day with the fish providing hints are the solution to that puzzle.

Curt

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I dunno…. I often times think that fish are as smart in their world as we are in ours. And neither of us do very well when spending too much time in the other’s. And maybe they’re a little smarter for not making it a point to ruin theirs.