A pretty but not too thrilling summer bass lake report

NOTE: This is from last summer (July). I had posted it over on the, now closed, PNWfishing.net site we had running for a while. I didn't feel like banishing it to the land of internet ghosts, so I'm reposting here. Not particularly timely, but perhaps it's nice to think about warm fishing days in the cold dreary winter.

Went to check out a little lake I'd never fished before but that I had heard had eager, if small, bass. I've got a young relative visiting soon who would like to go fishing. Being young and not jaded, he's not picky about what he catches.

The bass were small as advertised. But sadly, not so numerous as to make up for their size. It's one thing to take a kid somewhere and catch a bunch of small fish. It's another to spend all morning just catching a few small ones. So I'll probably skip this one for his visit. I might go back again myself sometime just to see if perhaps on a different day things would be more active.

But the lake was beautiful and quiet. No gas motors. Caught a few on on poppers with the fly rod and a few on senkos with the spinning rod. There was a summer camp at the other end of the lake and it was enjoyable to listen to the bugle sounding reveille and all the kids doing their cabin/team chants and games before breakfast. Took me back to some good childhood memories.

1707848066211.png1707848086704.png
1707848099607.png1707848107935.png

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Those fishing kayaks look like the way to go. I wish they had those back when I started fishing stillwaters and slow moving rivers. They are too long and heavy for me to manage on my own now that I'm in my senior years.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Needed this Josh. This is the least I’ve fish a winter in years and it’s getting to me.

Are you coming down for the fly tying show or is it just Evan manning the ship?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Looking at this report, I might have to give this lake another try this summer. It was a quite enjoyable morning. Just needed a few more fish.