A Memorial, For A Man Named Greggor

Chadk

Life of the Party
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like an amazing man and grandfather. I know he would be thrilled at that tribute and your desire to carry the torch on for him.

Don't know your age, location, etc - but my twin daughters (about to turn 17) and I do a bit of fishing together, mainly around Monroe, but sometimes eastern wa and other locations, and would love to have you join us if you ever want to. I have all the gear you would need. Just say the word.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Absolutely sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your post made me reflect on my grandfather, although we didn't fish together much, he taught me how to tie fishing knots. Also made me reflect on my Dad, who we lost a couple years ago. Every time I fish, I think of him. Ha, I also think of him other times. But, fishing was one common activity we shared together.

Keep the good memories. It will bring smiles, and some tears. But, keep them never the less.

Sam

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I’m sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. I lived with my grandparents from 2-9 years old. They were so good for me. When Grandpa passed my life changed, not for the better. I never had a chance to know him as an adult, something I’ve always regretted. You were blessed to have that time with him. Thanks for sharing it with us.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'm so sorry for your loss, but my heart is also warmed by hearing about the memories and joy that you shared with him. I hope that helps warm your heart too while you grieve. Please stick around, ask questions, join our jokes, and be part of this in your own way.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think I fished next to Greggor this past summer of 23’ at picnic point during high pink tide for a short time …. We started small talk. He then ask about being a member on the site. I asked what site?…(I know there can only be one site right?). And then he got the tug and was off with a fish who he walked to the beach and a young gal was there and they seem to talk for a bit.. The only reason I wonder is because later I saw a report from him about picnic point and the fish(es) he caught. He was having a good day. 3 to my 1 🤣…. But I see the pic taken of him and I’m sure that was him. By the time he returned to the water at picnic point I had moved north a fair amount and never talked again. Smooth caster. That I saw. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
If this post goes against any rules, please feel free to take it down. I am not very familiar with the ins and outs of this forum, and the nuances it holds. I learn about everything here only through osmosis, and my late grandfather's love for the craft, and everyone here.

In many of his posts, I was referred to as Greggors granddaughter. I was his fishing companion ( and coho photographer) for many years now, and we were the dynamic duo. I was fortunate enough in my life to be blessed with an amazing grandfather, who taught me many things in my life. A love for fly fishing, a love for gardening, for golf, and anything in the great outdoors. He taught me as much as he could, about putting a rod in my hand. We had so many more plans for this upcoming coho season, and plans to raid the beaches again once the time came.

However, on May 6th, I lost him.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly. Quite frankly, I'm lost. But what I do know, is that he loved this forum. He showed me all of your photos daily. Your stories about a sea glass man with sea glass hands. Of men and women so full of knowledge he'd consume with such enthusiasm. He was always here, and always reading. Always happy to report back to me on all of the happenings.

Which is why I wanted to come here, and share with you all how much this forum meant to him, and how much you all made him and I laugh. This place was something special for him, and for me, as much as I don't know. This account is a menagerie of all of the things he loved, and many of the people he cared about.

I'm the last of this duo. The one who now has the rods and reels with not too much experience to go off of. But I'm going to try. I want to keep the tradition alive, as inexperienced as I am with a fly rod. I know it's what he'd want from me, and I know with each cast he'd smile; as awful as my technique is. God knows I'll need some practice.

Thank you, all of you. For giving my grandfather such an amazing place to be a part of. For making us laugh, and sharing your knowledge. I know he'll be out there catching coho somewhere, and someday I hope to catch more with him again.

May you all catch your biggest fish, and never lose your favorite flies.

- Cameron, granddaughter of Greggor
I'm so sorry for your loss. Went through and thing about 15 years ago when my Dad passed. Left me with all my fishing grew I grew up with gone.

I've since built up my own group. But understand bringing home all that gear that I would rather see them fishing with.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Can't thank you enough for such a beautiful tribute, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Knowing Gregg and this community, this thread is only getting started. I met him years ago on the water and got to know him out there on occasion along with a lot of exchanges right here over time. I know many enjoyed his contributions and good humor as well.

I'm taken back by the news and how sudden, but can't fathom for one of his own grandkids. Hang in there.

Tim

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
If this post goes against any rules, please feel free to take it down. I am not very familiar with the ins and outs of this forum, and the nuances it holds. I learn about everything here only through osmosis, and my late grandfather's love for the craft, and everyone here.

In many of his posts, I was referred to as Greggors granddaughter. I was his fishing companion ( and coho photographer) for many years now, and we were the dynamic duo. I was fortunate enough in my life to be blessed with an amazing grandfather, who taught me many things in my life. A love for fly fishing, a love for gardening, for golf, and anything in the great outdoors. He taught me as much as he could, about putting a rod in my hand. We had so many more plans for this upcoming coho season, and plans to raid the beaches again once the time came.

However, on May 6th, I lost him.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly. Quite frankly, I'm lost. But what I do know, is that he loved this forum. He showed me all of your photos daily. Your stories about a sea glass man with sea glass hands. Of men and women so full of knowledge he'd consume with such enthusiasm. He was always here, and always reading. Always happy to report back to me on all of the happenings.

Which is why I wanted to come here, and share with you all how much this forum meant to him, and how much you all made him and I laugh. This place was something special for him, and for me, as much as I don't know. This account is a menagerie of all of the things he loved, and many of the people he cared about.

I'm the last of this duo. The one who now has the rods and reels with not too much experience to go off of. But I'm going to try. I want to keep the tradition alive, as inexperienced as I am with a fly rod. I know it's what he'd want from me, and I know with each cast he'd smile; as awful as my technique is. God knows I'll need some practice.

Thank you, all of you. For giving my grandfather such an amazing place to be a part of. For making us laugh, and sharing your knowledge. I know he'll be out there catching coho somewhere, and someday I hope to catch more with him again.

May you all catch your biggest fish, and never lose your favorite flies.

- Cameron, granddaughter of Greggor
Cameron. I am sorry for your loss as many here are I am sure. I hope that you'll also use this forum to learn and grow as an angler yourself.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cameron, I’m very sorry to hear of your grandfather’s passing. You remind me of a grandfather and granddaughter I met last year in Alaska…grandpa was taking his granddaughter on her first Alaska trip to fish for rainbows…I could tell they were very close.

I hope to have a special relationship with a granddaughter some day in the near future like you had with your granddad…

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Cameron, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I pray that your memories of your Grandfather remain vivid, golden, and will help to comfort you.
And Thank You for sharing a wonderful tribute to your Grandfather and how much this "Community" meant to him.
Rest assured, You are an important part of the tribute.

I hope to hear from you often as a member of this "Community".

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Cameron, deepest condolences. My grandfather was quite ill my entire childhood and wasn't able to share his love of the outdoors with me in action, only in stories and encouragement. He passed when I was in high school and I've found myself longing for and taking on several different hobbies to maintain a connection with his memory. 20 years later, I continue to think of him anytime I smoke fish, ferment kraut or pickles, hike through the coastal forest, and fish for trout in small rivers.

Grieve and be thankful for the memories you've built and continue to pursue to activities that strengthen those memories, you're on the right path. Lean on this community as needed, many of us have and many of us are glad to provide the support.

I look forward to your contributions to PNWFF.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I'm sorry to hear, deepest condolences to you and your family!
I've fished with him a couple of times before, once when I was new at coho fishing and he certainly taught me a thing or two :) Good memories.
Welcome to the forum.