A little steelhead anatomy help, please...

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I caught this fish today. Obviously, it had one underdeveloped skein, but are those fully developed milt sacs along the intestine going to the bottom left? If those aren't milt, what are they?

PXL_20230324_231643912.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Looks like an empty intestine, to the vent?

Smalma

Life of the Party
Yes an early summer steelhead, have seen a number of such fish. The whitish material likely fat deposits, the eggs have nearly a year to fully develop prior to spawning. The fish will deplete that and other fat as the eggs develop and the fish metabolize that and other body fats to stay alive.

Back when Puget Sound had lots of steelhead would see that often in the early summers (as early as mid-February). The other ovary would typically be smaller and potentially less developed and located on the other size o the intestine and fat deposits. The first time an observant angler sees a fish in this condition it understandably causes confusion.

At the other end of the spectrum in the late fall/early winter would sometimes see summer fish whose eggs have turned pale or even a greenish color and beginning to collapse. My theory is those fish had depleted their fat reserves had begun reabsorbing the egg's fat to stay alive. Would see fish in that condition in the 1980s after an especially stressful summers (a longer period of lower and warmer stream conditions). With climate change those conditions have become more common.

Our steelhead are indeed interesting critters!

curt

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Curt. Interesting to know that it develops substantial fat around the organs as well. I guess by coincidence all the male fish I have harvested have been winters or late summers, both kinds that would be running lower on their fat reserves. It did have a huge amount of fat in the belly meat.