NFR A government proposal to kill a half-million owls

Non-fishing related

Zoran

Steelhead
When the Moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

–by American band, “The Fifth Dimension”

Of course, the Age of Aquarius is not some leftover from the “hippie” movement of the 1960s. Astrologically, this Great Age will accompany a couple of thousand years of harmony, egalitarianism, and understanding. The Age of Aquarius is culturally more intellectual, networked, and integrated around the globe.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Washington state did not pass any ban on Natural gas appliances.
^^^True
The state has pushed PSe to begin planning for getting away from natural gas.
Is "pushed" more like standing on the tracks in front of a freight train?
Jan 30, 2024
Feb 1, 2024

JudyM

Steelhead
Milwaukie, Oregon is a municipal that was pushed into not allowing new construction with natural gas by former mayor Mark Gamba-D. As Mayor, Gamba helped to create the city's Climate Action Plan and also created a resolution declaring a climate emergency. Milwaukie was one of the first cities in Oregon to do both.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Washington state did not pass any ban on Natural gas appliances. That just factually did not happen. So while you may view it as a huge jump backwards, I think it is best viewed through the truthful lense of "things that never actually happened". As far as reducing coal consumption goes, that would be difficult to be accomplished on the state level, here in Wa state. Coal accounts for as much as 4% of our energy supply. So even if it did happen (it did not), it's difficult to see how it would represent a huge step back since we don't really rely on coal at all.

The state does a number of things to disuade people from using natural gas and wood as energy sources. The state energy code really does push electric heat pumps for heating and cooling and it icentivizes installing solar. It also mandates increased insulation/ better windows depending on other choices that are made for new construction. The building industry hates the energy code in general. It does certainly add to the cost of new home construction. The newest version just went into effect and it was far more robust than the prior. At present, you can comply with the energy code for a new home while using natutral gas.

The state has pushed PSe to begin planning for getting away from natural gas. They have kept PSE from giving incentives and rebates for natural gas appliances.

The state really does not have the ability or will to force people to retro-fit homes. Nearly all legistlation that require conservation measures in single family homes are implemented at the point of getting a buildng permit. There may be some way that the state mandates that mechanical permits not be granted for natural gas appliances. I think that would be pretty darned tough to pull off though. Local jurisdictions would probably push back, from what I have seen. Very few local building services divisions wants that sort of headache. There is also the option on the part of the homeowner of not getting a permit.

There have been bills presented that would not allow installation of new gas lines. They have yet to pass the house and Senate. I find that it's important to deal with the truth and not try to fight made up problems. In Washington State there is no ban on gas appliances or requirement that new construction not utillize natural gas.

In a 52-44-2 vote, Washington’s House of Representatives passed House Bill 1589. Among other things, the bill:

• Prohibits Puget Sound Energy (PSE) from providing natural gas service to new customers after June 2023; and
  • Removes the requirement that PSE continue serving natural gas to existing customers.

This is designed to ban natural gas.. this is just the only way they could get it to pass.
Was I factually incorrect? I suppose so..
I however was functionally and intentionally correct. The intention is to kill natural gas as a fuel source in the state of Washington. Pure evil.. yes Evil.

Not about the climate but about punishing the industry and it's users.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
In a 52-44-2 vote, Washington’s House of Representatives passed House Bill 1589. Among other things, the bill:

• Prohibits Puget Sound Energy (PSE) from providing natural gas service to new customers after June 2023; and
  • Removes the requirement that PSE continue serving natural gas to existing customers.

This is designed to ban natural gas.. this is just the only way they could get it to pass.
I however was functionally and intentionally correct. The intention is to kill natural gas as a fuel source in the state of Washington. Pure evil.. yes Evil.

I just took a quick look at the enacted law (https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/Session Laws/House/1589-S.SL.pdf#page=1). I see nothing that "Prohibits Puget Sound Energy (PSE) from providing natural gas service to new customers after June 2023."

There are restrictions on offering customers incentives to install natural gas appliances, but that is very different from banning them or prohibiting natural gas services to new homes/customers.

Did I miss a provision in the law (it is very possible that I did, I only read it quickly).

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I just took a quick look at the enacted law (https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/Session Laws/House/1589-S.SL.pdf#page=1). I see nothing that "Prohibits Puget Sound Energy (PSE) from providing natural gas service to new customers after June 2023."

There are restrictions on offering customers incentives to install natural gas appliances, but that is very different from banning them or prohibiting natural gas services to new homes/customers.

Did I miss a provision in the law (it is very possible that I did, I only read it quickly).
House Bill 1589, which failed to clear the legislature last year, is now getting a second look, with a revised version passing the House Monday by a 52-45 vote.

The bill would ban any gas company that serves more than 500,000 customers — specifically, Puget Sound Energy (PSE)from connecting new natural gas lines to new residential or commercial buildings — with limited exemptions for certain manufacturing, medical care, correctional, and military facilities. PSE would also no longer be required to provide natural gas service to existing customers, which state law currently mandates.

The bill said the ban applies to any new construction after June 30, 2023. If approved, it would take effect immediately, due to an emergency clause included in the measure.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
House Bill 1589, which failed to clear the legislature last year, is now getting a second look, with a revised version passing the House Monday by a 52-45 vote.

The bill would ban any gas company that serves more than 500,000 customers — specifically, Puget Sound Energy (PSE)from connecting new natural gas lines to new residential or commercial buildings — with limited exemptions for certain manufacturing, medical care, correctional, and military facilities. PSE would also no longer be required to provide natural gas service to existing customers, which state law currently mandates.

The bill said the ban applies to any new construction after June 30, 2023. If approved, it would take effect immediately, due to an emergency clause included in the measure.
What are you looking at? On March 28, 2024, the bill was signed into law. My link is to the as-enacted law. I don't see your bolded language in the law.

Mar 28Governor signed.
Chapter 351, 2024 Laws. (View Session Law)
Effective date 3/28/2024.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I try not to assume intent. Generally, people freely give their intent.

Your post was factually incorrect. That was my point. There is a huge difference in the impact of banning natural gas appliances and what HB 1589 does. So yes, you were incorrect and it makes a difference. I am not sure how you can even argue that point. I have no idea what point you are making regardiong coal since we use so little in WA state and the law is a WA state law. There is only one coal fired plant in the state and I thought that it was actually closing soon (2025?).

What HB1589 does is continue the existing direction of moving away from natural gas and other carbon fuels in WA. It makes PSE in particular plan for the inevitable reduction and elimination of it. If you see that as evil, I don't care. That's an opinion and you have every right to have it.

I think that it's really important to state things that are true as much as possible (we all make errors). I try to make my opinions based on the facts as best I can. It burns me when people spew incorrect information like the legistlature banning sales of natural gas appliances.

I have been a natural gas customer since I bought my house 20-ish years ago. Like many, I have started to transition away from it. I have a far more efficient electric system heating and cooling 40% of my house. It will be 100% soon. I am in the process of building more another home and that will be electric. It only makes sense. Electric is the way of the present and the future.

For a long time, I would have fought to keep nat. gas for cooking. However, there have been great improvements in induction stoves. I have heard great reviews from people that I trust.

I really made a mistake when I replaced my natural gas heater with a new one in '08 or so. I should have switched to a heat pump system at that time. It would have been advantagous economically as well as being safer and better carbon wise. Bad choice that I made based on bad information that I had recieved at the time. This is why facts matter.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I used to be a member of BIAW...it was not a group aligned with either my views or values, so after a year or so I stopped attending the meetings, and quit. I am sure some feel it is a good group, just not me.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I am not sure that any single group hates energy stuff or Jay Inslee more than the BIAW. Here is what they say:

However, the bill* requires PSE to develop a plan to “achieve all cost-effective electrification of end uses currently served by natural gas”..

That is a plan for a ban on new natural gas customers.

Switching from coal to natural gas is the ONLY thing America has done that has slowed the increase of our co2 emissions.

We already are not producing enough energy and we are planning to eliminate sources of energy.
No sources of energy, clean or otherwise should be eliminated until it's replacement is 100% online.

Back to owls.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
So, let me see if I follow this thread: we went from 500,00 owls to be culled to an outright ban on NG appliances in HB 1589, to HB 1589 implies an outright ban on NG appliances, to OK, HB 1589 foreshadows a future bill to ban NG appliances, then back to 500,000 owls, to meatloaf cupcakes - have I got this right?

Well, might as well throw init some bacon, cuz as everyone knows, everthing is better with bacon, even if cooked on an NG stove.

Cheers