a good stuff thread?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
we all have some hacks, stuff, etc we use to make fishing more fun and manageable, maybe roll it into one thread? Anyhoo..

These oval tippet rings have become my go to with lake indicators, shape and + micro weight seems to keep the line a tad straighter, I attach the tippet with a loop knot so it can 'sway' more naturally.
IMG_20240328_112301292.jpg

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
we all have some hacks, stuff, etc we use to make fishing more fun and manageable, maybe roll it into one thread? Anyhoo..

These oval tippet rings have become my go to with lake indicators, shape and + micro weight seems to keep the line a tad straighter, I attach the tippet with a loop knot so it can 'sway' more naturally.
View attachment 108534
Our local lake guru Jeff Perin likes those too. Do you mind sharing your set up? Thnx

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
My favorite flask:

It holds a lot, fits well in a pocket, and has a full size opening that making filling it (and drinking from it) easy.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Our local lake guru Jeff Perin likes those too. Do you mind sharing your set up? Thnx
very similar to Jeff's, who is a lake guru...slip strike indicator, 6' of 12# Flouro to ring, 6' to 8' of 8# tippet using a blood knot for the top fly tippet union. The blood knot tends to hold the top fly out more horizontally than a surgeons or similar. And a cinch to tie using the speed blood knot technique.

Retractors. There are so many (affordable) options . And they have so many uses. I use them for my clippers and sometimes for my forceps, but I have used retractors for many things over the years..and I'm here to tell ya, they can be very handy.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
My favorite flask:

It holds a lot, fits well in a pocket, and has a full size opening that making filling it (and drinking from it) easy.
Note, I linked to the 6oz, but I have and like the 8oz.

cedarslug

Steelhead
I used to carry all my gear around separately, i.e. waders in a grocery bag, boots in a grocery bag, hip pack, rod case, etc., and have had times where I forget the boots at home.

Then I read an article about the author using an Ikea bag as a wader/gear bag, and I freaking love it. I can store everything in one bag, and get to trunk in one go. Makes packing the night before a major time saver, plus, I'm not forgetting gear at home. While it is not completely waterproof, it is somewhat water resistant. Lastly, it's less than $2 dollars, and bright blue so you can't miss it in the grass or in the gravel parking lot.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I used to carry all my gear around separately, i.e. waders in a grocery bag, boots in a grocery bag, hip pack, rod case, etc., and have had times where I forget the boots at home.

Then I read an article about the author using an Ikea bag as a wader/gear bag, and I freaking love it. I can store everything in one bag, and get to trunk in one go. Makes packing the night before a major time saver, plus, I'm not forgetting gear at home. While it is not completely waterproof, it is somewhat water resistant. Lastly, it's less than $2 dollars, and bright blue so you can't miss it in the grass or in the gravel parking lot.

That is my go to wetsuit bag (for surfing) as well as one of my go-to wader bags. I bought two for .75 each some years ago. Still going strong

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like that blue bag for wet waders, this bag isn't that great for wet stuff. Can't bring myself to pay for a fancy one so they go in a 6" deep storage bin now with the boots when done.
I have found the LLBean tote excellent for towel, change of clothes, thermos, lunch, ect. Perfect for the pool too. Lotta use and still as new.1000000082.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like that blue bag for wet waders, this bag isn't that great for wet stuff. Can't bring myself to pay for a fancy one so they go in a 6" deep storage bin now with the boots when done.
I have found the LLBean tote excellent for towel, change of clothes, thermos, lunch, ect. Perfect for the pool too. Lotta use and still as new.View attachment 108655
I have several LL Bean boat totes and they get a lot of use!

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

The last time I was at Ikea (in 2023) they were .99 each.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tungsten putty marketed to pinewood derby builders. Fantastic for adding just the right amount of weight to get any type of flies to depth in whatever water or fishery without adding weight to the flies themselves—especially tube flies—and cheap!

Nontoxic if you can’t recover it, and if you throw it on a knotted tag it’ll work as a drop shot or bounce rig with zero chance of snagging the bottom (worst case the tungsten will just come off).